CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Stephen Kichuk

Profile:  
I've noticed that often, several days after a workout session, there will be a day when I'm quite eager and energized to do another. Occasionally, for one reason or another, I don't train that day. The day after, I sometimes do not have that same energy and eagerness to train.

Does anyone else get this? Is this a sign that my supercompensation curve was up the day before, and the next day the wave is on the way down?

Or is it likely due to normal energy ebb and flow, and I'm over-thinking this? :g:
Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Stephen,

Per my understanding, supercompensation isn't momentary. It doesn't happen one day and go away the next.

It is a new baseline level of physical fitness, achieved after a period of training and adequate recovery.

Ideally, your fitness level would resemble a staircase, supercompensation comprising the "rise" portion, training comprising the "run" portion.

Although your terminology is suspect, you're on to something important. If you feel ready to go, by all means, go! Workout hard when you have these bursts of energy. PRs are a likely result.

Best,

Jon
Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Stephen Kichuk

Profile:  
I've been intending to read up on supercompensation. I haven't read all that much on it, but some tid-bits hinted that you can miss your curve if you work a day too early or a day too late.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Kevin Stricker

Profile:
Hmm...I have read some on supercompensation and have to disagree with you John. It is all about timing, if you do not give your body enough time it will not supercompensate, and if you wait too long you loose the benefit of the workout. If it was not time related we could all workout once a week and continue to see improvement indefinately. Supercompensation is a wave pattern not a linear progression and is completely time dependant.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
It's definitely a sine curve.

Basically you exercise hard and then enter a catabolic period for a day or so. Then afterwards, the anabolic hormones in your body shoot up and the muscles rebuild (although its all continuous). Technically muscles start rebuilding after you stress them, but it's generally a combination of both as catabolism decreases, anabolic processes increase. In any case, the supercompensation for strength gains I believe last for about 2-3 weeks afterwards before you start to lose them.

You guys should read up a bit on fatigue-fitness theory. Here's an excellent series on periodization (even though its a bodybuilding site) w/f safe:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/periodization1.php
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/periodization2.php
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/periodization3.php