CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Christian Mason

Profile:
Burgener/ Rippetoe Bar vs Pendley Economy/CF Bar..

It looks like the g/f and I may need to suck it up and get some weights for home soon. Does anyone have a direct comparison between these two bars? (yes, I've searched the archives).

So far, the only notable difference I've seen is that the Pendley bar has a little more whip to it. Nice for O-lifts, not as nice for really heavy slow lifts. My current deadlift PR is about 340 though (and I'd adverse to much weight gain, being a climber), so its not like I going to be piling massive amounts of weight on the thing.

I'm tempted to go with the Pendley bar, because of the $100 dollar cheaper price tag, but not if it's a decision I'm likely to regret in the long run.

Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
Re: Burgener/ Rippetoe Bar vs Pendley Economy/CF Bar..

For a home gym, if you aren't lifting super heavy, I think the Pendlay bar is plenty strong enough. Of course, I'm testing my theory, since my Pendlay Economy bar just arrived last week. It feels plenty sturdy, but I haven't loaded it up with more than 280# yet (plan to tonight, though, so I'll report back if it shows any flex on to a 325# DL). I've kind of got an out for the DL, however, as I've a beat-up old York bar that, while I don't trust it for oly lifts, is still suitable for DLing.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

I think its a little unreasonable to compare my $189 Econ bar to a bar costing almost $300... Obviously the York bar is going to be the stronger bar.

Its a bit more reasonable to compare the Econ HD ($239) or the Pendlay bar ($389) to the BR york bar.

glenn
Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Christian Mason

Profile:

Glenn - very valid point. I hadn't realized the Econ HD existed, and it does appear to be a more fit comparison.

Patrick - I'll be very interested in hearing how it handles that. Given my current training goals, while I'll obviously get stronger, I doubt I'll be pushing obscene amounts of weight anytime soon, since that isn't really where my focus is.

Last edited by Christian Mason : 10-06-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

The HD bar is wicked nice! I love it.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mason View Post
Patrick - I'll be very interested in hearing how it handles that. Given my current training goals, while I'll obviously get stronger, I doubt I'll be pushing obscene amounts of weight anytime soon, since that isn't really where my focus is.
It did well. Didn't notice any flex at all (although I was more concentrating on my lack of spinal flex than anything). I didn't know about the HD either, FWIW. I'm very happy with the economy bar thus far. I'll never put 300#s overhead, and I doubt the bar will ever see much more then 400#s on it for slower, lower lifts.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
Christian Mason

Profile:

How is the spin on the collars? Do you notice any whip doing O-lifts?
How does the grip width feel (thick bars give me trouble)

Thanks again,
-- Chris
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Michael Fall

Profile:

Just found out about the new bar. Congrats guys. We have 11 of the Pendlay econo bars in our facility and consistently load to about 410 for deads. The most we have had on an econo bar was around the 600 mark. The bar held up just fine. Since then, after speaking with Glenn, we have decided to restrict the weight on the econo to the 410 ish mark. Will be looking for a new bar for the big guys to go heavy with soon.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Ryan Stitt

Profile:

I have a Pendlay HD bar. I use it mostly for Olympic lifting with the occasional barbell WOD. It definately handles deadlifts fine, though I only had about 365 on the bar due ot it being loaded entirely with training bumpers.

The big gripe with the HD bars is the aggressive knurling. I'm constantly tearing up my thumbs, but if I got a little smarter and taped up better, I would be fine. Spin is excellent in my opinion. I have used the high end olympic Lifting bars and I feel fine with my investment in the Pendaly HD. I am sure I will eventually get one of Glenn's high end bars for training, but not until I reach the National qualifying weights (259 KG Total in the 77KG class), which may be a while.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Tom Fetter

Profile:

... and I've got a Pendlay CF bar (econo). Nothing but praise from here - about to purchase a seond one.