CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
Sharon Goff

Profile:
Question Help! Asap!! Ran out of blood pressure pills

Okay, I'm trying not to panic and hope that someone can tell me what to do.
I somehow let my prescription for blood pressure med run out and my doctor won't be in the office to call in a new one until Monday--after that I have to wait for it to come in the mail (insurance covers the mail kind only).
Soooooo, after 2 days without it, I'm puffy all over and can't take a deep breathe. I dare not crossfit until I can get this swelling down!! Or should I try and see if I can sweat some of the fluid off? Or will I have a stroke/heart attack from stressing my body when it's already struggling against a river of water retention????? I'm not doing anything until someone responds.............hurry!!
Sharon
Old 11-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Help! Asap!!

Seriously? You are asking a forum board instead of calling an ER. Seriously?

Moderators....this kind of stuff needs to go. I know its Black Friday and everyone is shopping, and call me cruel, but this person (yes that is you Sharon) need to go to a workshop on common sense instead of shopping.

Go to an ER.

After that you need to work on a program to prioritize things in your life, and learn to manage calendars and deadlines. If something is that important to your life, I don't see how you would miss a thing like that.

Last edited by George Mounce : 11-28-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Goff View Post
Okay, I'm trying not to panic and hope that someone can tell me what to do.
I somehow let my prescription for blood pressure med run out and my doctor won't be in the office to call in a new one until Monday--after that I have to wait for it to come in the mail (insurance covers the mail kind only).
Soooooo, after 2 days without it, I'm puffy all over and can't take a deep breathe. I dare not crossfit until I can get this swelling down!! Or should I try and see if I can sweat some of the fluid off? Or will I have a stroke/heart attack from stressing my body when it's already struggling against a river of water retention????? I'm not doing anything until someone responds.............hurry!!
Sharon
OMG Sharon, don't do any Crossfit. Frank where are you chime in here. And that doctor guy who is an affiliate. Your insurance sucks. Sure you can't get a week's worth of pills from the pharmacy pay by the each and just pay full cost? It will be a least a hundred bucks even with good insurance if you end up in the emergancy room.
It will take you 'til mid next week and the earliest to get something in the mail if ordered Monday. I have never been on this sort of medication just talking out of my as* here but Crossfit seems unwise if you can't breath just standing there. Lemon juice is a natural diuretic. No idea if there is an over the countre sort of drug like Lasic (is that it?) but talk to your pharmacist before mixing anything with your existing drugs. I am sorry this is happening to you AND I don't want anything to happen to you. Please be careful.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

People make mistakes George and you should not be so mean when someone asks for help. If you are worried about the cost of drugs you would obviously be worried about the cost of an ER run too. I am assuming she has the old bottles and the prescription written on it. An expensive trip to the pharmacy should get her out of the woods. Live and learn. If you are dependant on medication you have to keep up with it.

It's not helpful to make her feel worse and the shopping reference was uneccessary. I can't spell this morning.

Last edited by Jill Zimmerman : 11-28-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
Sharon Goff

Profile:

I love you my buddy Jill! My husband is actually concerned enough about me to take my empty bottle to CVS and beg them to sell me a weeks worth of pills to get me thru. Of course right now he's outside playing on the tractor so I don't know when exactly that will be, but he is going to go for me.

Georgie---I wouldn't go near a shopping mall today even if I felt like it!! And, even though I am pinkalicious, I'm not an air head. Stuff just happens sometimes. And, if you could see the ER we have in B'burg, you would know why I'm writing on the forum instead of calling there. But, thank you so much for replying to my post. I really appreciate that. I'll let you know if I live or not.
ox,
Sharon
Old 11-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Dustin Berry

Profile:

If you are really as sick as you claim I would reccommend getting your husband off of the damn tractor to help you out. Not trying to be mean, but you need to see a doctor. BP isn't something to mess around with.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
Sharon Goff

Profile:

Thanks D.! I dug up the blood pressure monitor and checked--my bp is 145/95.
This was sufficient to get him off the tractor and out the door---empty pill bottle in hand. One would think that my Angelina Jolie lips, man hands and inability to get my shoes on would have done it, but apparently it took the numbers. Whatever.......I'm drinking green tea with lemon and am now off to soak in warm bath. One good thing about my hard-headed hubby, he will not come home without pills--no matter who he has to harass.
Thanks for the input
S.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Sharon Goff

Profile:
Talking Re: Help! Asap!!

Thank you CF friends! My hubby was able to score me 4 pills to get me thru until I can call my doc on Monday. I also bought some OTC diuretic pills and will continue on green tea and lemon until I can get me rings on and jeans buttoned.
I think I'll wait until Monday to get back in the CF groove. Maybe I can sneak in an extra workout or 2 to make up for this weekend.
oxox
Puffy Pinkalicious
Old 11-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Frank E Morel

Profile:

why did you husband have to beg??????

JUST FREAKING CALL YOUR MD AND HAVE WHOMEVER IS COVERING THE PRACTISE CALL A SCRIPT INTO THE PHARMACY.
and pay cash for it.

Every doctor is avail... its either them or someone who takes their turn for covering 24/7. Sorry the "the doctor is away till" doesn't wash. And since its a daily pill and you look at it every day... when you have 5 pills left... it should be cue that you NEED MORE.

it only covers medication that mailed to you? that is a first. I think you need to look it to that and get that clear.
So if you go the doctor and you have a kidney infection that requires antibiotics you have to wait til the pills arrive by mail? Guess your longevity is dependent on postal system??????? good knowing you. AGAIN ... call your carrier and get it clear... cause if its true. Go get a job at starbucks, work 20hours aweek and get better medical insurance thru them.

PS..reconsider your use of coloured fonts... 1- very hard to read... 2- hard to take one serious when reading pink

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 11-28-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Local doc that shows up on the news was just talking about congestive heart failure which we are assuming killed my Dad and killed my Great Aunt. Swelling and puffiness high blood pressure etc. Not to be messed with glad you got your pills but get some more if doc doesn't have samples or something to get you through 'til they come in the mail. Put a big sign on your fridge. When I got pills through the mail had to get 3 months worth at a time. I have a terrible time with calendar in the computer so I tape notes to my stearing wheel and monitor for immediate stuff and under a magnet on the fridge at home for long term. Hard to remember to get them again in another three months. Don't forget!