CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Brian Wilson

Profile:
New Zone Carb Blocks? What about Fat?

Two part thread here:

1) New Zone Carb Blocks?

I saw that Adam Jamieson posted here that Dr. Sears has revamped his carb blocks for the Zone.

Compare:

Crossfit Journal #21

Zone.com Carb Blocks

Take my word for it, they are different. Sears is allowing much more carbs by volume.

I wanted to get some input here, I Zoned for about 3 months last spring, and didn't lose any weight (6'2, 215 lbs, approx 18-20% BF) and was doing carbs by CFJ 21. Reading a lot of Taubes, Eades, Robb Wolf, etc., I think I'm just very carb sensitive (both my parents are obese), so I decided to try the Zone again, but according to Robb's "42 Ways to Skin the Zone". I just started on Friday.

You can see all the data for the last few days at my blog, Brian PCF.

Just wondering which carb block data I should use and what kind of difference you think it will make. I'm trying to shed body fat as I'm still at 18-20% BF.

2) What about Fat?

Firstly, how do you count cooking oils for the Zone. If you cook a steak with some olive oil, part of that is obviously staying on the pan. So do you count the oil you use as a fat block?

Secondly, how do people count fat blocks for fatty cuts of meat and does this change the protein blocks as well? If I had 1 oz of bacon, chuck roast, skirt steak, etc, should I count it as 1 protein block and 1 fat block? Or would it be 0.5 blocks protein and 0.5 blocks fat?

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Old 01-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
John S Park

Profile:
Re: New Zone Carb Blocks? What about Fat?

yea.. he does allow a little more veggies. i already have enough trouble getting down 14 blocks of veggies according to cfj 21 so i think i'm just going to stick with that lol

i put in 4 cups of spinach for a salad along with other veggies, and it could take me over 30 minutes to finish it.. now sears is saying 20 cups for one block lol!! well, when i put the intake on fitday, if you deduct the fiber, 20 cups of spinach does equal one block. yet some others like broccoli are more similar to cfj charts.. most of both charts are identical though

as for the cooking oils in the zone, what i personally do is just count all the oil i use for cooking. 1 1/3 tsp of butter or coconut oil is 4 blocks for me. i cook with that and i'll pour the oil over my food or use the veggies to absorb as much of it as i can.. that is just me though.

i dont count the fat in meat as blocks for simplicity's sake. i guess you could and adjust fat blocks accordingly, but that is too much work for me.. i like to just not worry about it, and not eat fatty cuts all the time..
Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Brian Wilson

Profile:

So did some digging since my post, with respect to the issues surrounding fat:

2a. I think you are supposed to count cooking oil, as they do it in the recipes on zonediet.com.

2b. I need to heed Robb Wolf's guidance on replacing the carbs I'm subtracting with fat (minus 1 block carb = plus 3 blocks fat). Only issue is I need to be aware that I eat fattier cuts of meat. So I need to find what the sweet spot is when I eat those, i.e., how many carb and fat blocks are there in a 1 oz piece of pork chop, chuck roast, skirt steak, etc. I'll go on fitday (and a few others as fitday is often wrong) and try to piece this together and let folks know.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

Just a bit of advice. Don't cook with olive oil. Saturated fat is the fat you usually want to cook with:

http://www.gofrolic.org/gofrolic/foo...g_Oil_101.html

http://www.modernforager.com/blog/20...w-to-use-them/

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...oils-faqs.html

(all wfs)

Also, I've seen good charts that could be helpful for you about the amount of fat in meat, but I don't seem to be able to locate them. Personally, I would not be overly concerned with the exact blocks. The Zone is easy to modify, so exact numbers aren't as important IMO.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Brian Wilson

Profile:

I'm a big fan of lard, and used it prior to going on the Zone a lot, but I was trying to keep a little closer to the Zone. I've gotten a little smarter on the grams/block:

Protein: 7 g = 1 block (this will also include 1.5 g fat)
Carb: 9 g = 1 block
Fat: 1.5 g = 1 block

So what I did to recalculate my totals was go to NutritionData.com, and figured out the amount of fat/gram in the protein I ate yesterday. Once I had those numbers, I subtracted 1.5 g fat/oz (assumed in each block of protein), then calculated the blocks of fat that would be included in the different types of protein:

3 eggs - 3 P
- 2 g Fat per egg, so no added fat blocks

2 slices bacon - 1 P/3 F
- 3 g Protein and 3 g Fat per slice. So that would total 6 g Protein and 6 g fat. So the total wold be 1 P/3 F.

4 oz Chuck Roast - 4 P/9 F
-There is 8 g Protein and 5 oz Fat per oz, so that would total: 4 P/9 F.

4 oz Pork Chop - 4 P/7 F
-There is 7 g Protein and 4 g Fat per oz, so the total would be 4 P/7 F

4 oz Skirt Steak - 4 P/6 F
-There is 7 g Protein and 3 g Fat per oz, so the total would be 4 P/4 F

2 oz Porterhouse Steak - 2 P/7 F
-There is 7 g Protein and 5 g Fat per oz, so the total would be 2 P/5 F.

So that gives me an extra 28 fat blocks, and that's not including any of the olive oil that I used to cook these. Moreover, I was eating nuts/seeds yesterday too b/c I thought I needed those for my fat blocks. So overall my total yesterday (which you can see in more detail here) was: 18P/11C/63F

So today I'm calculating the fat content in each protein, it works out pretty well so long as I'm not doing the full carbohydrates (to allow for the 1 block carb = 3 block fat substitution), no seeds/nuts, and not counting the cooking oil. As long as I'm down to 10 carb blocks/day (prescribed is 17 blocks), then I would get an additional 21 blocks [((17-10)*3)=21], so total would be:

17P/10C/38F

We'll see how this works out.