CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Eating Disorder???

I have a new friend with the most peculiar eating habits. Probably none of my business, but it is kind of making me crazy and curious.

I've eaten with her 3 or 4 times. She orders a meal, and then just moves the food around the plate with her fork. Once in a while she puts a tiny tiny bit of food on her fork and eats.

Her boyfriend said that for breakfast she makes green blender drinks and for lunch she goes to the health food store and gets another blender drink. He has commented that "she doesn't eat like the rest of us do." He apologized in advance to our friend who is having us all over for dinner this weekend....apologized that the girlfriend won't eat and will just pick at her food, but not to be insulted because it's just the way she eats.

So, boyfriend has noticed...but doesn't seem to think anything's wrong with it.

Also, she is into running and yoga.

What up with her? Anorexic? She's thin, but doesn't look unhealthy. Some other kind of eating disorder? Any theories? Opinions on whether I should say something or just stay out of it?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:
Re: Eating Disorder???

I've read that moving your food around on your plate can be a tactic to disguise that you're not eating. I would assume that drinking two shakes and then playing with food may be anorexia.... as far as getting involved, that's tough. Most people won't seek help until they come to their own conclusion that they have a problem. As to getting someone to that conclusion?...

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

As long as she's alive and thriving I would say it's not my business. It is when the condition affects you or those around you negatively that it becomes pathological, right?

If she is not that skinny and still physically active then that says that she is operating within her limits. If she were injury prone or lethargic then that would be a symptom of undereating.

Last edited by Ben Kaminski : 02-03-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

The truth is, being a friend as opposed to being friendly may cost you the friendship. I have been confronted over several things in my life by friends, those people suck, I hate having to look at things that aren't working in my lfe. Of course one of them was a progressive incurable inevitably fatal but treatable disease, and I'm alive now. Many of the people who were friendly with me were willing to look past it. Anorexia is potentially fatal and her boyfriend is a bad source for help. He may like "thin women" with no idea of the consequences eating disorders have on someone's health. He may not have the ability to confront a lady he is close to about a weight issue. This is a tough one for me personally in regard to my wife or my sister. It may come better from another woman, and somebody should ask the question.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Harley Jennings

Profile:

I use to have a girlfriend in Las Vegas who was bulimic. She was a dancer and felt that her "diet" was what kept her on her game. Attempts to help her with her condition only alienated her and eventually led to our split.

Point is she had it in her head that she was as dialed in as could be, and there wasn't a case study available that could convince her otherwise. While it is dangerous and would never work for a xfitter (IMO), somehow it worked for her.

Alot of outsiders would look at our Paleo, Zone, AB, or IF diet as a disorder and we would retaliate with how dialed in we were, flash our CFT scores at them and follow up with a bunch of websites from smart people who coincidently support our cause.

I guess it gets down to the old saying that all who wonder aren't necessarily lost. Those with a crazy diet aren't necessarily sick.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 02-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Camille, yep, I've heard the same thing about the pushing around of food in an attempt to look like you're eating. That was the first thing I noticed when I met her.

I appreciate everyone's input. And, taking into consideration your opinions and experiences, I think I'll sit on the sidelines for now and keep my mouth shut. But, if I see her getting skinnier, I will feel compelled to speak up.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Tyler Smith

Profile:

I too have some experience with anorexia... she would push the food around on the plate and rearrange it so it looked like she ate some... I think when she was at her worst she was consuming around 500 cals a day... which is the reason she passed out at dance practice...
As for your situation, I would mention something to her boyfriend, and try to get him to take notice of how many cals she eats a day... Also, if she checks herself in the mirror, is lethargic, and/or you start to notice the hairs on her arms getting thicker/longer... I would be 99.9999999% positive she is anorexic. There is really no easy way to approach the person, just kind of have to do it...
Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Smith View Post
As for your situation, I would mention something to her boyfriend, and try to get him to take notice of how many cals she eats a day... Also, if she checks herself in the mirror, is lethargic, and/or you start to notice the hairs on her arms getting thicker/longer
Tyler, what' this about the arm hairs getting thicker/longer? What causes that?!

The boyfriend is a long time friend of mine, and so, I was thinking that, if I eventually do say something, it would be to him. I like your approach to telling him to take note of her calories and whether she checks herself in the mirror a lot, etc.. That way, I'm just telling him, "Hey, this might be a problem. Stay aware." Instead of saying, "I think your girlfriend is anorexic" and then having him also take offense.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Tyler, what' this about the arm hairs getting thicker/longer? What causes that?!
Your body stays warm by having a layer of body fat and by utilizing body hair. When you starve yourself and your body fat gets dangerously low the body compensates by increasing body hair so that it can maintain temperature. It is not a perfect method of telling anorexics because even naturally thinner people will have this problem, but it is one indicator.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Your body stays warm by having a layer of body fat and by utilizing body hair. When you starve yourself and your body fat gets dangerously low the body compensates by increasing body hair so that it can maintain temperature. It is not a perfect method of telling anorexics because even naturally thinner people will have this problem, but it is one indicator.
Oh. Ick.