CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
David Hughes

Profile:
Pain in right foot on the inside below ankle

Not sure if this would be considered Plantar fasciitis because it is not on the bottom of my foot. I pronate, especially on my right foot. As a child I was told by the podiatrist to use inserts and/or motion control shoes, which I have done through out my life. However, I have always had knee pain when running more than half a mile. I read a great deal about barefoot running, started trying it for short distances with a Pose type technique on my treadmill. All the knee pain went away. Feet were tired but any of the soreness went away after a few weeks.

Now for my current issue: over the last month or two I have had recurring pain on the inside of my right foot. The pain is just below and behind the ankle. I assume this is caused from the tendons being overstretched by my over pronation? I don't feel the pain all the time, only after I have done a wod that includes running. The pain normally occurs a few hours after the wod.

Do I just need to stretch that area of my foot more? Should I use some shoes with minimal padding? Any one else with this problem?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Pain in right foot on the inside below ankle

Google a pic and mark it where the pain is..

Any other movements cause pain? Or just running?

Sounds like overuse and could be tight muscles as well. I'm not sure if you'll be able to "fix" your collapsed arches if it's gone on that long though, heh.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

It sounds as though you are describing Posterior Tibial Tendinitis. The PT tendon is responsible for maintaining your arch and in controlling hindfoot movement in relation to midfoot movement.

Most treatment is aimed at immobilization and inflammation control until the pain goes away. Casts, castboots, inserts,....those sort of things. It wouldn't surprise me if your old inserts were to support the mid foot as the PT tendon was probably already incompetent, but that is just a guess.

If I were you I'd see a good podiatrist or Foot/Ankle Ortho surgeon. You already have a significant history with this ankle and it sounds as though it is continuing to evolve.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
David Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Google a pic and mark it where the pain is..

Any other movements cause pain? Or just running?

Sounds like overuse and could be tight muscles as well. I'm not sure if you'll be able to "fix" your collapsed arches if it's gone on that long though, heh.
Okay two pictures attached and I have circled the areas where I am having pain. The pain is mostly in the bottom portion of the red areas. The pain doesn't really occur while running (at least not bad), but a 1/2 hour plus after I am done. For example I ran some the last two days. Then the next morning I had the pain. The pain is not debilitating, just irritating.

"Collapsed arches"? I may have not stated my problem correctly. I do believe I have collapsed arches. When I get out a pool and walk on the concrete my foot is not flat.

I have done air squats, thrusters, jump rope, stood on my toes with no noticeable pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right-foot2.jpg
Views:	5062
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	5078  Click image for larger version

Name:	foot_posterior_tibial_tendon_intro01.jpg
Views:	5192
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	5079  
Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

A few questions.....

1. Do you have the ability to stand on your toes on the affected foot?

2. Do you have any pain with resisted inversion of the ankle?
(Place your hand on the inside of your foot near the base of the big toe, and hold the foot in place. Next, try to forcefully pull your big toe towards you.)

3. Squeeze the heel hard between the heels of your hand....does that hurt?

Last edited by Everett Steinbarger : 09-09-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: One more question
Old 09-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
David Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Steinbarger View Post
A few questions.....

1. Do you have the ability to stand on your toes on the affected foot?

2. Do you have any pain with resisted inversion of the ankle?
(Place your hand on the inside of your foot near the base of the big toe, and hold the foot in place. Next, try to forcefully pull your big toe towards you.)

3. Squeeze the heel hard between the heels of your hand....does that hurt?
1. I can stand on my toes with no pain.

2. No pain.

3. No pain when squeezing with the heels of my hands. If I squeeze my heel with my thumb on the inside of my foot and pointer finger on the outside then I have pain on the inside of my foot under my thumb.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

A few things could be causing these things for you. If it is just some inflammation in the hindfoot, it may go away with standard rest, ice , massage, etc.

If this really bothers you enough now, or becomes a chronic problem,(chronic= more than 3 months), then I would say be seen by a podiatrist or foot/ankle ortho.

Your safest bet is to get it checked out now. X-rays are simple and relatively inexpensive. A good general orthopedist should be able to help you out. Or even see a physical therapist, many times they can spend quite a bit of time with you and come up with an effective treatment plan.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
David Hughes

Profile:

I meant to write I do NOT believe I have collapsed arches. Steven and Everett, thanks for responding to my question. If this keeps up I will go see a local professional...
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
I meant to write I do NOT believe I have collapsed arches. Steven and Everett, thanks for responding to my question. If this keeps up I will go see a local professional...
Pronation + orthotics tends to mean collapsed archs or some other dysfunction of that nature.

So.. you probably do even though you're denying it.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
David Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Pronation + orthotics tends to mean collapsed archs or some other dysfunction of that nature.

So.. you probably do even though you're denying it.
I have an odd history with my right foot that I will try to remember as best as I can here. When I was young (5th grade) I would regularly have severe pain occur when I was running (soccer, basketball, playing) in my arch. Any weight on my right foot caused severe pain. However, the pain would normally go away after a few minutes. After months of going to a podiatrist, trying different shoes, orthotics, etc. etc. etc. the podiatrist finally noticed through (x-rays) on one visit that there was a small space under a bone in my arch that would close up when I put pressure on the foot. Apparently what was happening was a nerve or tendon would slip into that space and every time I stepped down it would pinch that nerve or tendon. So in 6th grade I had surgery to fix the issue. --- I honestly don't remember every exact detail about the problem or the surgery, but since that time I have not had the pain again in my arch. I think I will request my medical records to see exactly what happened.

I'm not denying collapsed arches. It may just be my ignorance, but I thought collapsed arches were synonymous with flat feet. If I had them I would simply admit it. My foot print is like the image on the left in the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foot-arch-type.gif
Views:	248
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	5085