CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Troy Peterson

Profile:
Left shoulder issue

I've been battling an issue in my left shoulder (I do know flexibility is an issue in both shoulders and am doing pass thrus to try and help...left shoulder is worse) for some months now.

Where: Front side towards the top/outside.

Symptoms: Some pain & overall weakness.

When do I see symptoms: Lately when lifting arms overhead quickly (in basketball & football trying to catch a ball). Also impacts my pushups, bench, ring dips and handstand pushups. During HSPU or handstand holds people watching can clearly see me favoring that side and leaning on my right.

This summer after doing Nancy I noticed some tingling & numbness down my left arm. That went away after a week or so.

Now anything overhead seems to be impacted. OH Squats are certainly a goat and difficult to do right now even with the bar.

I obviously want to avoid injuries and also want to progress in certain exercises & lifts (pushups, dips, OH squat) and feel this can/will hold me back.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Left shoulder issue

Check your flexiblity on the sleeper stretch and posterior capsule stretch (arm across chest)

I would suspect either biceps tendon involvement, impingement, or internal impingement.

Maybe some of all 3.

If you can check if any of the other shoulder articulations (google these terms for visual) hurt that would be great.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I would suspect either biceps tendon involvement, impingement, or internal impingement.
Your intuition seemed to be pretty good.

UPDATE:

I saw a PT today. Based on tests he said I likely had some impingement/inflammation in the rotator cuff...specifically a tendon that connects to one of the bicep muscles (possibly slight inflammation of a 2nd tendon).

I looked up Rotator cuff tendonitis and sure enough I fit the "profile" for this ailment:

1. active in sports
2. lots of overhead lifting/work (CF)
3. 40 (not there but really close)

WHY:

My posture is also a big factor. I'm in office @ a desk and shoulders can tend to sit forward (causing poor posture, which will lead to impingement when @ desk, sleeping & also while exercising). I need to think chest up/big chest all the time to begin this correction.

Shoulder flexibility is also not the best, due to posture.

Certain movements I've noticed are where I feel the slight pain: pushups, ring dips, OH squats, hand positioning while trying low bar back squats.

WHAT TO DO:

A few exercises. Lay on a foam roller along my spine and move my hands overhead to the floor to the extent of comfort. Also some rubber band rows & external rotation (did I say right) stretches/strengthening exercises.

One more where I find corner of a room, lay forearms flat on the wall & "lunge" into the corner.

With any of these no pain is to be associated and again...think big/open chest.

Increase my fish oil intake plus other natural anti-inflammatories (MSM, Curamin).

WHAT NOT TO DO:

Shoulder dislocates/pass thrus. Restrictive nature of the PVC will force my shoulder to go thru the pinched forward motion, irritating the impingement. Can resume once healed.

Of course many of the above exercises that cause discomfort. Hopefully will only be 4-6 weeks of stretching and some aggressive PT work for 4-6 visits.

Hope this helps some others.

Last edited by Troy Peterson : 12-08-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: forgot to mention supplements
Old 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Troy Peterson

Profile:

PS I've only recently started checking out the message board but I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend finding a good Physical Therapist (one that has a sports background or works with athletes). Use them.

Why?

1. They can diagnose your issue quickly and in my experience are fairly easy to get into
2. Your insurance plan may allow you 6-10 visits for a small copay (or the therapist may work with you if no insurance to not charge big $$)
3. They will provide you a plan (visits & home work) to get better.....
.....without options like an orthopedic doctor I saw some time back (pre-CF) when having knee issues:

Here's a cortisone shot / stop doing what's hurt (I know you're only 35 but too bad) / knee replacement as an option????? Yes, that was my experience.

I successfully rehabbed a badly hurt back a year ago using a PT (focused on increasing hamstring flexibility) and am back to DL, squatting, cleaning with no issues. Hopefully now I'll see similar results with my shoulder.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Add in wall slides as well if you're not doing them (youtube it).

Foam roll is good for the thoracic extension.

You're gonna have to focus on

1. eliminating the inflammation with rest, ice, massage, etc. and
2. improving posture and overall shoulder/scapular and thoracic mobility.

I can give you more exercises if you want.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Update:

Been to 3 PT sessions total in past 10 days. Pain is reduced and I'm still able to CF. My range of motion pain free has increased from my first visit:

Supine (laying down) was 55 last Tues, now 73. I was told a good # for athlete is 90 but I may not get there.

What have I done?

*3 PT sessions (worked on some stretching, including work by PT on getting shoulder to move "out of socket" and loosen things up....my layman's terms......also some band strengethening work)
*continued to CF but avoided burpees, ring dips & many pushups. Did some pushups & pullups yesterday with no issues seemingly. Also not looking to do real heavy pressing OH. Did some presses, C&J, powercleans as rx'd in a workout with really no ill effects.
*increased intake of Fish Oil (not sure doseage, but went from 1 pill 2x daily to 3 pills 2x daily)....I do know it's a good product & blend (my wife manages an independent supplement store chain). I also take MSM & Curamin for natural anti-inflammatories. Haven't touched ibuprofen or naproxen. As I understand cortisone shot = bad

Very happy with progress so far. Can't recommend enough for everyone to find a good sports related PT and go there first if you can. I've done that twice & glad I did and know I'll better off into the future with the things I've learned about my body.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

DON'T AGGRAVATE IT. If CFing aggravates it, don't do it.

Fish oil is good.

Cortisone is good. Chronic cortisone is bad.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Add in wall slides as well if you're not doing them (youtube it).
Looked up and tried wall slides yesterday, very painful for my left shoulder at first. This morning doing them again and the pain is 50% and now I can do them with no pain whatsoever.

Had to say something as I was very shocked by how quickly they helped my shoulder, thanks Steven.
Fran 3:19. Diane 3:25. Elizabeth 6:46. Cindy 26+21. Helen 8:05. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
Clean & Jerk 115k. Snatch 92.5k. Back Squat 160k. 30 MU 4:07. F.Squat 150k
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Update: started having more pain towards top/outside of shoulder. Decided it was time to have it checked out, and arthrogram (MRI) was done.

Results:

1. Grade IV Chrondomalacia (arthritis?)
2. Supraspinatus tear (40%)
3. SLAP tear (visible on MRI)

Doc said surgery an option, recommended PT (2x/week for a month, then check back). Offered cortisone, I passed for now.

My long term goal would be resume full activity (basketball, overhead lifts, maybe muscle up someday). Short term goal: maintain some level of fitness by doing things that don't aggravate injury and work towards getting healthy (rehab).

Things that I don't want to do (and haven't for a while) OH squats, snatches, ringdips, lots of pressing. I'm also looking to avoid most/all OH/pressing movements.

Will be difficult, since I also have knee issue (previous thread) that I'm working with.

Looking for input on ideas/plan moving forward. I attached the MRI results (2 pages, WFS). While it was explained to me and I have the writing my background is certainly not anatomy and it's going to take me a bit to figure it all out. I'm a quick learner though and have already starting my process.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TP MRI.pdf (47.4 KB, 546 views)
Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

If there is a labral tear it's possible to go conservative and not get surgery but in most cases you'd probably want the surgery.

they can also patch up the partial supraspinatus tear at the same time.

Chondromalacia is bone softening.

PT is probably a good idea.. if it has a good outcome. If it doesn't improve within a month or so then surgery might be the option.