CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Carolyn M Wood

Profile:
Total Knee Replacement

My husband just started cross fit. he is 1 year post bilateral total knee replacements. does anyone have any experience with this? Any movements to avoid? are overhead squats, thrusters helpful or harmful? He is experiencing increased pain in knees, but we aren't sure if this is a good thing - i.e. temporary while making muscles stronger around knee - or damaging knees. thanks.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:
Re: Total Knee Replacement

Hi Carolyn,

How has your husband done since his TKR's? Does he have full range of motion of his knees? Is he able to job or run without pain? Perhaps a little more information about his post op recovery would help. Part of the answer really depends on where he is along his recovery.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Scott Shankle

Profile:

First, talk to your doc and PTs before you do anything! If they give you an uninhibited "go for it," get another opinion. It must be considered that TKR prosthesis aren't going to be as "good" as normal healthy joints.

Just one reference (WFS):

"Other Activities - Walk as much as you like, but remember that walking is no substitute for the exercises your doctor and physical therapist will prescribe. Swimming is also recommended; you can begin as soon as the sutures have been removed and the wound is healed, approximately 6 to 8 weeks after surgery. Acceptable activities include dancing, golfing (with spikeless shoes and a cart), and bicycling (on level surfaces). Avoid activities that put stress on the knee. These activities include: tennis, badminton, contact sports (such as football, baseball), squash or racquetball, jumping, squats, skiing, or jogging. Do not do any heavy lifting (more than 40 lb) or weight lifting."

Another reference (WFS) - See Warnings and Precautions.

Not good news for a CrossFit'er, I know. After you feel like you firmly grasp what's OK and what's more risky, get with a good, creative trainer and I bet you can make a bunch of subs that will still do the job. Much better than ending up with another surgery.

Good luck! Be safe!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Tim Pedersen

Profile:

No experience with knees but have a total left hip and a resurfaced right hip. (47 years young male with extensive/various athletic background - overtrained/trained incorrectly for too many years - osteoarthritis caused my degenerative hip condition).

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or medical expert, just have metal in me.

My two cents: Get range of motion and when you are pain free and have good range of motion . . . work it again before loading. You cannot be patient enough with artificial joints. I was not a good patient for total hip (did way too much way too soon) . . . I paid dearly . . . penalty was my recovery. Best advice I got and practiced for right hip resurfacing was do half of what you feel you can do.

Good news - you can do some if not all CF protocols and maintain health/fitness.

P.M. if you want more, I kept a journal for both and would be happy to share my experience.