CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Ryan Clancy

Profile:
Lifting After Hernia Surgery? Diet?

How long did you wait to lift? Mine was an inguinal hernia about 6" to the right of my belly button and 3" below.

I went in Friday so 4 days ago. It was laprscopic and only took 35min of surgery time. It hurts to get up fast and walking for long periods of time.

I didnt know I had a hernia until I went in for slight AB pain. What ****es me off is I hit a front squat and back squat PR a few days before discovering the hernia and I was about to lift in a local Olympic meet for fun to help my gym out.

I was lifting for max 3 days a week in the snatch and clean/jerk and power/speed stuff the other 3 days. Now I cant lift for a while, should I drop my protein intake?

Last edited by Ryan Clancy : 03-16-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Lifting After Hernia Surgery? Diet?

It depends.

You definitely can get back to heavy weights but you DEFINIETLY need to wait for it to heal.[ There's been a few threads on this might wanna search them.

Do not drop protein intake.. unless you want to lose more muscle mass. Diet needs to be top notch to keep body composition up.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Ryan Clancy

Profile:
Re: Lifting After Hernia Surgery? Diet?

Thanks for the info.

I was pretty much eating what i wanted because i was light in the weightclass and lifting heavy. Looks like I need to cut out the stuff I dont need.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Brad Davis

Profile:
Re: Lifting After Hernia Surgery?

I had this done last summer. I'm sure your surgeon said 4 weeks and that if the repair fails, it'll be during those initial stages. You do NOT want to repeat the surgery, expense, and rehab time. I've read of people trying to compress the recovery time, and honestly, I think those people need "Idiot" stamped on their foreheads to hopefully ward off any chance that they'll procreate. Sorry for a little hyperbole there, LOL. What's a couple of weeks in the grand scheme of things?

Last edited by Brad Davis : 03-17-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
I had this done last summer. I'm sure your surgeon said 4 weeks and that if the repair fails, it'll be during those initial stages. You do NOT want to repeat the surgery, expense, and rehab time. I've read of people trying to compress the recovery time, and honestly, I think those people need "Idiot" stamped on their foreheads to hopefully ward off any chance that they'll procreate. Sorry for a little hyperbole there, LOL. What's a couple of weeks in the grand scheme of things?
Definitely. Don't try to rush your recovery.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
Kevin Bean

Profile:

I had it done last summer as well. My doc said to wait 4 (I think?) weeks before I started lifting heavy, so I waited four and eased my way back into the big lifts, going for true heavy at week 6. I don't want to go thru it again.... on that side. Doc said that if you get one inguinal hernia you're at a high risk to have a second, but I'll jump that hurdle when we get there. At least now I know that it's not as bad as I had believed it was going to be.

I was up and walking as much as I could as soon as I could and doing some mild jogging by week two...gotta get the blood flowing. It didn't take as long as I thought it would to get back to lifting the same weight and then more. Just beware that the area of the surgery is going to have random pains for months to come. It's adhesions/scar tissue working themselves out.

I didn't have laproscopic tho so our mileage may vary.

Last edited by Kevin Bean : 03-18-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bean View Post
...Doc said that if you get one inguinal hernia you're at a high risk to have a second, but I'll jump that hurdle when we get there. ...
That's interesting because it's the opposite of what my surgeon said. He went ahead and fixed both sides (I had to push him a little to do this.), even though he didn't know there was a hernia on the left. He said that if the repair was successful then I probably couldn't fail the repair if I tried. I told him I was once a competitive PLer and might squat and deadlift 600 or more and he said to go for it. I worked my way up from 45 lb squat and DL to the mid 300s for sets of 5 in about 6 months. Another issue has stopped me (2 degenerating discs from old HS sports injuries), but the hernia repair seems solid. I know of competitive PLers who have squatted 800+ after the repair.

Now, if one had only the known hernia side repaired, then I can see his point. I'd expect the other side to go at some point if I did that. My guy found a hernia on the left side during the operation, so it would've been a matter of time for me. That's why whenever someone is considering a repair, I try to talk him into doing both sides whether he knows he needs it or not. This is what Rippetoe recommends also, and where I got the idea.

Last edited by Brad Davis : 03-18-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
Matt Trussell

Profile:

Listen to your body man, I took it VERY easy for a week or two and my first real activity was jogging, I tried too early and the bouncing was pretty rough, so I backed off. You wonít feel like doing sit-ups for awhile though, haha. I think I was running easy in about 3 weeks time frame. Then like others said, I just eased back into it, very slowly because I was nervous. I wasnít in a huge hurry to get back to the gym at the time so I didnít push too hard, different for you being competitive and all. I think for me jogging/running was the best indicator of where I was at.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
That's interesting because it's the opposite of what my surgeon said. He went ahead and fixed both sides (I had to push him a little to do this.), even though he didn't know there was a hernia on the left. He said that if the repair was successful then I probably couldn't fail the repair if I tried. I told him I was once a competitive PLer and might squat and deadlift 600 or more and he said to go for it. I worked my way up from 45 lb squat and DL to the mid 300s for sets of 5 in about 6 months. Another issue has stopped me (2 degenerating discs from old HS sports injuries), but the hernia repair seems solid. I know of competitive PLers who have squatted 800+ after the repair.

Now, if one had only the known hernia side repaired, then I can see his point. I'd expect the other side to go at some point if I did that. My guy found a hernia on the left side during the operation, so it would've been a matter of time for me. That's why whenever someone is considering a repair, I try to talk him into doing both sides whether he knows he needs it or not. This is what Rippetoe recommends also, and where I got the idea.
No, you're right, I guess I wasn't clear. If you have had one inguinal hernia you're at a higher risk than average to have the other side go. Insurance covered my surgery, I don't think they could have been talked into approving surgery on a non existent injury on the opposite side.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Ryan Clancy

Profile:

All good points. Mine was laproscopic also and from what I'm getting the surgeon is very good and well known in this area. He told my mom when I was under that I could go lifting the day of but to just be careful.

Its been 6 days and I'm moving quicker. Sudden up/down movements, coughs, sneezes still give a little 'how do you do' feeling . I was thinking about laying off the heavy stuff for a bit, no cleans, front squats, snatches for a bit and just doing cardio and seated stuff like presses and pulls. I wouldnt mind losing 10-15lbs so maybe this is my time.

hardest part is not eating like I'm lifting heavy because I know thats just gonna make me fat.