CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Shane Atkinson

Profile:
Shane's Journey into CrossFit

Who I am: Soldier stationed at Ft. Campbell and calls TN home. I enjoy hunting, fishing, weights, guitar, and slowly starting to enjoy running.

Where Iíve Been: Been in the Army for almost 10 years now. Been to Afghanistan and Iraq along with other places around the world. I have never been at the top of the physical game since I have been in. Started to change that around 2007.

Workout Experience: Been lifting pretty solid for about 3 years now. First year was all about slimming and gaining. Iíve experimented with everything from hypertrophy routines and different diets before finding my groove. Well, what I thought was my groove. I saw some good gains, but not what I wanted. Messed with power lifting, and fell in love. Yet, my cardio and over all fitness lacks. Thatís what brings me here.

Where I am going: Currently deployed back to the land of deserts and mountains, I have a goal. That goal is to complete SF Selection. Yet another reason I am here. I am determined to finally give SF a shot. Something I have wanted to do for years but put off do to fear of running, fear of the unknown, and fear of failing. Itís time to put those fears aside and do what I have always wanted to do. I only get one shot. Need to give it all I got.

My plan to get there: Been reading everything this site has to offer. Broke down and got a subscription to the Journal. Well worth the money. Spent hours ready those articles and finally decided to give this a shot. After the research I have started to adjust my diet and built a plan. I plan to run a hybrid type plan until I am better on all the Oly lifts. Currently I will continue to concentrate on the Big 3 with a Metcon. Something along the lines of CF Strength Bias blended with Gant Hybrid and the CF Powerlifting from May 05. Each workout will allow ďpracticeĒ time for all things Crossfit. Snatches, cleans, ring work etc. All the unfamilar moves.

Will This Work: I sure hope so, regardless Crossfit appeals to me based on the diversity of the workouts. Will I fail; sure. But every time I fail I will adjust to be that much better next time. Will I get fast times immediately; of course not. I expect all of the above to happen. However, I know I can and will get better from what Crossfit has to offer. Iím looking forward to seeing the results come April 2011.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Shane Atkinson

Profile:
Crossfit Transition Day 1

Today marked my first day of transitioning into a CrossFit type routine. I must say, my scaled down version of Chelsea to compliment my bench helped me find a new respect for CrossFitters. Especially those that complete Chelsea. Thought my heart was going to pump out of my chest. Definitely learned that my cardio is not what I thought it was.

Let me say this, I am finding this fun. I am looking forward to getting more involved, trained, and aware of CrossFit. I take back all those thoughts I have of CrossFitters in my gym, and will never say anything bad about them again.

My Workout:

Bench: 315/3, 315/3, 315/3, 275/3, 275/3, 275/3
Scaled Chelsea 8 mins
CrossFit Practice: Snatch 5 sets of 135

Never done the Snatch before, started with bar and worked to a working set of 135. Felt fine, and plan to continue to practice this move until it is more fluid. The scaled version of Chelsea had me sweating like I ran 3 miles on the treadmill.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Shane Atkinson

Profile:
Deadlift Concentration

AM: Light 2 mile Run

PM: Deadlift Concentration

CrossFit Warmup 3 Rotations of the following:
-Samson Stretch (30Sec)
-Overhead Squat (Barx10)
-Situp (15reps)
-Back Extension (10reps)
-Pullups (5reps)
-Dips (10reps)

Deadlifts: 5x3 85% OF 1 Rep Max
365/3, 365/3, 365/3, 365/3, 365/3, 365/3

3 Rounds For Time:
-10 Cleans 135#
-10 Pushups
Time: 8:45
Goal for this Metcon is 5 rounds for time (under 10 mins). I need to better this time before adding rotations. I was sucking wind terribly. I think next time I will drop to 115# and see if I can hit 5 rotations. Still learning here.

I must say, utilizing the CrossFit warmup is definitley better than riding a bike for 10-20 mins. Why haven't I looked into CrossFit before now.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
Jesse Emers

Profile:
Re: Shane's Journey into CrossFit

Shane, its good to see you trying out crossfit training. I'm sure that you'll love it and its probably one of the fastest ways to get prepared for special forces. It looks like you have a pretty good strength background, which is a very good thing for people first getting into CF.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Emers View Post
Shane, its good to see you trying out crossfit training. I'm sure that you'll love it and its probably one of the fastest ways to get prepared for special forces. It looks like you have a pretty good strength background, which is a very good thing for people first getting into CF.
Jesse, thanks for taking the time to stop by. I feel I am average among my peers in strength. I want to be a whole lot stronger. I still believe with strength comes size, yet I must be mobile and able to use that size to its advantage. That's what I feel I can get from CrossFit.

The above is one reason i was drawn to your Journal, seems as if you have found that blend of Metcons and strength I have been studying in the CFSB, CrossFit Powerlifting, and West Side CrossFit.

So far, I must say, CrossFit is kicking my ***.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

AM: Slept In

PM: WOD Front Squats 5x3

CrossFit Warmup 3 Rotations of the following:
-Samson Stretch (30Sec)
-Overhead Squat (Barx10)
-Situp (20reps)
-Back Extension (15reps)
-Pullups (8reps)
-Dips (12reps)

WOD: 135/3, 135/3, 135/3, 135/3, 135/3

CrossFit Practice: Jump Rope, Double Unders (Fail), BB Thrusters (Bar then 95#)

Summary: Ok, so I added a few more reps to the WU. Will keep my WU as is above for a lil while. Had me breathing pretty good. Need to research that Samson Stretch again. Not quite sure I am doing it right.

As for the WOD; I felt weak as heck. I am used to doing Front Squats with arms crossed on the bar. Paying attention to the CrossFit way; Oly style with hands in a clean position drastically change my weight. This will take some practice. Once able to do 225/8-10, just a simple grip change dropped me WAY down.

Basically I considered today a full practice day. Need to work on the Jump Rope (don't laugh never jumped rope before) and Double Unders. As for those Thrusters, I am starting to see why Fran is so talked about in these forums. Those are not as easy as they looked in the video. Still need to research them as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Hey Shane, welcome aboard!

Had a read through your log here and I'll echo Jesse that you have fairly good strength. Definitely helps to be able to deadlift well over 400 for a bunch of the WODs.

It'll be interesting to see where CF takes you. I'm still fairly new (started Oct 09) so every now and then I'll have a look back through some of the logs that have been around for a while to see where they were at a year or two back.
Having seen the gains I've seen in the last 7 months in every aspect of fitness I wouldn't even consider training another way, just programming modifications to meet my weaknesses.
Anyway I'll keep checking out your log! work hard!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Jay thanks for the post. Glad to hear that you are happy with your results. Although I feel I am fairly good in the strength department I want more. I just love moving heavy weight, one reason I have been skeptical of CrossFit. However, reading what you just said, and looking at your journal along with other post I have realized I can get best of both worlds training this way.

Once again, thanks for stopping by. Looking forward to hearing your criticism along my way.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

After a decent disscusion with Nik I have decided to post my goals, and previous stats. Mainly for logging purposes.

Prior to talking to him, and re-reading and digging into my goals I thought I had a plan based off the attachement (Special Forces Selection Training). At this time I am not ready to engage into that style Macro. So for the next 90 days or so I will follow CFFB in the PM and CFE in the AM. This still allows me to better my cardio while improving my strength.

Just for future reference here was my proposed thought:

DAY 1: AM/ CFE PM/ CFSB (UPPER BODY)
DAY 2: AM/ CFE PM/ CFSB (LOWER BODY)
DAY 3: SPORT SPECIC METCON (AM or PM)
DAY 4: REST
DAY 5: AM/ CFE PM/ CFSB (OLY LIFTS)
DAY 6: SPORT SPECIFIC METCON
DAY 7: AM/ CFE PM/ CFSB (LOWER BODY)
DAY 8: REST

My sport specific METCON is in regards to running, rucking, doing WOD with body armor, or other things specific to my job.

Ok, so for my Stats to begin with:

Weight: 205
Height: 6'

Max/Goal Next 180days
Deadlift: 425/475
Squat: 365/405
Bench: 325/350
Press: 250/?
Oly Lifts: Unsure

Ok, about these Maxes; They are legit. Problem is that the Press has been seated, standing Max is UNK at this time. So therefore I do not know what goal will be. Same goes for the OLY Lifts. I have never maxed on them. I am still learning the basic movement/form of them. As soon as I get comfortable I will see where I stand.

Goal is to do a CFT tonight to see where I stand so I can update this tonight.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SPECIALFORCESSELECTION.pdf (36.7 KB, 6092 views)
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Shane Atkinson

Profile:
CrossFit Total

Alright, so I went and did the CrossFit total to see where I am and to create goals. Grabbed the CrossFit Total Journal Entry and read every word. Read it twice to ensure I did not cheat myself. Learned a few things today which I'll post in my summary.

Light WU

Sqaut: 325, 350, 375
Press: 185F, 165, 175
Dead: 405, 425F, 425F

So totaling the best of three; 375+175+405= 955

Practiced L-Sits, Cleans (worked on landing in squat position), Push Press, Push Jerk. Basically OLY Lift practice. All OLY Lifts done with 95#. Those Push Jerks are harder then they look. Takes some coordination.

Summary: Learned some things today. Straps add weight to Deads more than I thought. I have pulled 425+ with straps. Did my best to pull unstrapped. I am trying to ween myself off of them. Presses are harder standing then they are seated. I can push 225+ over my head sitting down, but once I stand, that 185 was a b****. This I can improve on.

Too be honest, I am happy with these results. Although I wanted more, I am not going to complain. Gonna hold my head high and fight to add more weight next time.