CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Reece Messerly

Profile:
Needing some Coaching advice.

I am a Sgt in Afghanistan and have been using CrossFit for PT out here with the obvious great result. (You already know the rest)

My inquiry comes in motivating some of my athletes. My program is not mandatory for the Marines, anyone that comes out is doing so on their own time after their shift. I have one Marine in particular that can't exactly run with us big dawgs yet and is frustrated by this. To keep him honest in his reps (form and otherwise) I have decided to scale him down. I'm telling him today that for the next month I'll be scaling him back. I know this is a good idea for him and will really help his sense of accomplishment if I can get him to agree with it. Any other advice with athletes like this would be great!

Sgt Messerly
Old 05-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: Needing some Coaching advice.

What you are doing sounds great, you should aim for your entire group to finish the WOD in around the same time, so if you have a guy who is taking twice as long, scale him back. Likewise, if you have a guy who is finishing easy and is smiling through the WOD, ride him hard, he can do better!
The idea is everyone should put int the same amount of EFFORT (preserve the stimulus), even though they may be using different loads/rep schemes.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Reece Messerly

Profile:

Thats great advice, thank you! I'm really new to the coaching side of this and that makes a lot of sense. Today's WOD (Squat Snatche/Chest2B Pull Ups) was a lot more fun we thought when everyone was competitive.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Scaling the weaker ones back will help them in the long run. They won't develop bad habits on technique which can lead to injury, and they'll still be able to push through the metcons with enough intensity to see improvement. For a workout like today's, if CTB pullups are too hard have everyone spend about 5-10 minutes of skillwork on CTBs, then do standard chin over bar pullups during the workout. And obviously scale the snatches, whether it's reducing the weight or modifying them to power snatches for anyone who lacks the flexibility to catch the bar in a full OHS.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Reece Messerly

Profile:

In Scaling today's WOD I had a new guy using a power band for pull ups and a PVC pipe for the Squat Snatch. He lifted in high school so has a really good squat, he was just having trouble putting it all together, so I had him do a power snatch, then an overhead squat. For out next warm up I'll have him put it all together. Also, go through the Burgener Warm-Up again.

Thanks for all the good stuff. Keep it coming!