CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
s. uke

Profile:  
hello,

i've been reading this site trying to find some good info. in order to prepare me for new agent training that begins march 8th. i've recently lost over 30lbs and improved my personal fitness...but its not enough. i want to excel, not just pass the following events.

event: (my current score)
situps for 1 minute: (57)
300meter sprint: (47seconds)
pushups to fatigue: (44)
1.5 run: (11:30~)

should i start the crossfit routine this late in the game? im very hesitant to start something new this close to training. i take a fitness test the 2nd day of training, and i want to be prepared. basically, most ppl have told me "to practice the way you play" -- so ive been doing these events mostly. its not a very tough test individually, but all the events combined, it can be killer.

i do fine w/situps. the 300m is a BEAST. my pushups seem marginal, and i would LOVE to break 11 minutes on my 1.5 mile.

i'm sure you guys get alot of questions, but i would love any feedback on my situation. what can i do in 3 weeks?}
Old 02-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi S,

The usual advice I've seen on this board regarding preparation for a competitive fitness event is simply to do the WOD. Then, when you're about 2-3 weeks out from competition, start doing some training that's specific for said event in addition to/in place of the WOD.

Since you're already 3 weeks away from training, you may want to start focusing on the exercises in the test. IMO, replacing every other/couple WOD(s) with 3-7 cycles of the first three events would be a viable option (you could throw in the 1.5 mile run after all the cycles are complete). Performing tabata style situps, sprints and push-ups is another option.

How many times you replace a WOD with one of the options I described above depends on your priorities. I am assuming you'll be performing other PT while at training. If you overemphasize the value of the fitness test, your performance in other PT may suffer. As an example, the Marines PFT consists solely of pull-ups, sit-ups and a 3 mile run. However the candidate who practices just those exercises thinking that will get them through the physical side of the training is going to be in for a rude awakening once training begins.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ryan
Old 02-16-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
s. uke

Profile:  
thanks for the advice. im definately on board w/the concept you used in your USMC example (former marine here). i'm gonna give what you suggested a try...thank you!
Old 02-17-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Strongly reccomend GTG type technique with pull-ups, push-ups and sit-ups.

J.D.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
s. uke

Profile:  
i've looked around...what exactly is the "GTG type technique"?

thanks!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:54 PM   #6
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

GTG technique involves a manipulation of synaptic facilitation. Basically you will be more efficient at a technique by doing that technique. Though the actual name (Grease the Groove) was applied to synaptic facilitation, it has been around for quite a while. Such as in the case of Bulgarian lifters training multiple times in a day. A good way to summarize it is "train as often as you can while remaining as fresh as possible". Though it can be done with any lift, I find using bodyweight exercises to be the most efficient. It all comes down to training goals I guess. An example of a "GTG" approach is a set of pull-ups every hour. This is just an example, and you can even incorporate many sets, but listen to your body. Due to the volume you want to stay fairly far away from failue. Pushing the envelope too much is gonna cause overtraining.

Hope this helps,
Remember, as frequent as possible while staying as fresh as possible,
J.D.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:13 PM   #7
s. uke

Profile:  
thank you so much for that explanation -- it has helped.

so basically ill just hit my pushups and pullups throughout the day. i want to get 50+ pushups...so maybe i should just do like 25 every so often and about 5 pullups (my max is 8-9)???

i just did pullups/pushups/dips like this

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, then back down, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

was that GTG? i think not after reading your explanation...but what would i call that routine? i did each exercise back to back and only 10 seconds break in between.

so from now, until i hit the academy on march 6th im gonna do GTG. any other ideas for improving my test scores? i know its late in the game, but i have been working out...just seems like i hit a plateua. thats when i stumbled across this awesome site.

again, thanks for your time and info...
Old 02-20-2004, 08:18 AM   #8
Jeff Murphy

Profile:  
Uke, that's a pyramid, and also a very useful technique.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #9
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Or you could do ladders: 1,2,3,4,5,6, 1,2,3,4, etc., stopping each ladder right before the rep you would be unable to complete and continuing until you can only do 1 rep.

Ross Hunt
Old 02-20-2004, 09:19 PM   #10
s. uke

Profile:  
thanks!

also, i want to start the WOD's. will i be able to view them once i subscribe? i see stuff posted on the main page, but its not very detailed. i would be more than happy to pay the fee, i just want to make sure thats what is necessary. also, among the exercises, how can i tell their classifications? ie; strength as opposed to say strength/endurance. also what is the proper combination for a single workout.

basically, whats the best way to start the WOD's :-)

thanks all!