CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Tavia Redburn

Profile:
How to get from "good" to "great?"

I've been CFing since April. We do the WODs at an affiliate gym 3-4 times a week. We eat on the Zone diet (just started about 2 weeks ago).

I feel like I made huge improvements the first couple of weeks of CF (I was doing half WODs or scaling them a lot and now I almost always Rx). Lately I feel like I'm not getting much better, I'm not making many improvements. I'm finishing with an average time or an average weight.

So how do I work to get from "good" to "great?" Spend more time working out? Do something different with my diet?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: How to get from "good" to "great?"

" Lately I feel like I'm not getting much better, I'm not making many improvements"

Look at your log book, are your times and weights improving? If they are, good. They will not improve as fast as they did when you started. If they are stagnant that is a problem.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I always start with the big two... i.e. which is your bigger weakness right now Strength or Conditioning?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Are you eating enough? I know my performance stalled on Zone (even at 3x fat) because it just wasn't enough protein or calories in general. Is your food quality good? Sleeping enough?

Keep in mind rapid improvements can't continue forever...that's what happens when your learning curve levels off and adaptation becomes a weekly or monthly thing rather than a daily thing.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

You have only been zoning a couple of weeks give it more time with that. If nothing improves then start looking at others. If you tweak to many things at once you will not know what worked and what did not.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Diet. then intensity.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Diet and sleep are huge. Lately I have been learning the importance of getting enough sleep, and the effect it has on my training. For me there is a very big difference between 6 hours of sleep (and waking up in the middle of that), and 7 - 8 hours of sleep.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Andrew Bell

Profile:

So in about 4 months you went from never having done it, to scaled down, to Rx, to Rx with avetage times? I would say you're making great improvments.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Tavia Redburn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
" Lately I feel like I'm not getting much better, I'm not making many improvements"

Look at your log book, are your times and weights improving? If they are, good. They will not improve as fast as they did when you started. If they are stagnant that is a problem.
You're right, I think I might be expecting too much of myself. It was just so exciting to see those big advances at first... but I am still slightly improving. Slightly.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Tavia Redburn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
I always start with the big two... i.e. which is your bigger weakness right now Strength or Conditioning?
Probably Strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Are you eating enough? I know my performance stalled on Zone (even at 3x fat) because it just wasn't enough protein or calories in general. Is your food quality good? Sleeping enough?

Keep in mind rapid improvements can't continue forever...that's what happens when your learning curve levels off and adaptation becomes a weekly or monthly thing rather than a daily thing.
I think I'm eating enough calories, about 1400 a day. I'm supposed to get 1200 for my age, height and weight and I added 200 a day to account for my WODs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
You have only been zoning a couple of weeks give it more time with that. If nothing improves then start looking at others. If you tweak to many things at once you will not know what worked and what did not.
Very good point. I think I'm going to pay more attention to my diet and see what that can do for me in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
So in about 4 months you went from never having done it, to scaled down, to Rx, to Rx with avetage times? I would say you're making great improvments.
Thanks man! You're right.