CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
John Swanson

Profile:
Band Tension

How do you tell how much more weight a band is adding to the bar?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Band Tension

It is very difficult because the band has different tensions at different lengths and different based on how and where you choke the bands.

I typically document the weight I use, the type of band and how I set up the band so I have a reference point for the future. In another words, if I squated 200lbs with a light band fastened in the middle band peg for 6 reps, I have a sense of what I need to do next time.

If you check out www.elitefts (WFS except for some language in articles), they had a guide for tension of bands at various lengths.

In the Westside Barbell Book of Methods, Louie Simmons gives some guidelines on what type of bands should be used for different strength levels. Sorry I don't have it on hand with me.

A good guideline for a setup is to make sure you have some tension at the bottom of a movement with the band.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Hooke's Law

F = KX

where F is force, K is a constant related to the thickness of the band, and X is the current amount of stretch in the band.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Ben Moore

Profile:

Any trainer worth anything will tell you to not worry about the amount of tension, but the speed of the bar.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

One way to get a rough idea is to hold one end of the band at whatever height it gets stretched to in your particular lift and loop the other end around a dumbbell. Figure out how heavy a dumbell you need to get it to stretch to the floor and you have a rough idea of the band tension.

Ultimately though, I think this will convince me to finally get a spring scale, like this one: http://www.nulime.com/100-spring-hook-scale/p306918 (WFS)
I've wanted one on many occasions and think I'll finally just get it.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Erich Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
One way to get a rough idea is to hold one end of the band at whatever height it gets stretched to in your particular lift and loop the other end around a dumbbell. Figure out how heavy a dumbell you need to get it to stretch to the floor and you have a rough idea of the band tension.

Ultimately though, I think this will convince me to finally get a spring scale, like this one: http://www.nulime.com/100-spring-hook-scale/p306918 (WFS)
I've wanted one on many occasions and think I'll finally just get it.
i've posted this link in multiple threads multiple times

http://www.if.uidaho.edu/~chris/docs...ndTensions.pdf wfs

shows a breakdown by inch of how much tension each band has. It's a linear relationship.

for as useful as this document is, i'm surprised more people don't use it. All of those options sound like a LOT of work
Old 02-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
Ian Nigh

Profile:

seems like anybody who can squat heavy enough to really reap the benefits of the bands dosent spend much time worrying about how much "more weight" the band tension is adding...

If you want to use them, experiment with the different bands and varying weights and get familiar with how each band feels. Do this and you will know what you need to know. The other stuff is just theory.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

We used the old fashion method:
1) Weigh yourself
2) Weigh the bar
3) Wrap the band(s) on bar
4) Weigh yourself with the bar and bands at full extension.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Erich Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
seems like anybody who can squat heavy enough to really reap the benefits of the bands dosent spend much time worrying about how much "more weight" the band tension is adding...

If you want to use them, experiment with the different bands and varying weights and get familiar with how each band feels. Do this and you will know what you need to know. The other stuff is just theory.
I disagree. Louie Simmons has spent the last 3 decades testing theories so that we don't have to. If you spend 10 minutes reading around, you'll see why knowing the band tension is important. Depending on your goals, you will have different ratios of band tension to weight. Thus why that link I provided is so useful.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

I say who really cares other than for bragging rights? What matters is different bands will provide varying amounts of tension on a given exercise with a given setup. The variable is the bar weight. So, you can say I squatted 365 + the greens for a ME single etc.