CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Andrew Breyer

Profile:
"Boot Camp" Programming ideas

I work as a personal trainer for my university's sister college (all girls school) and have just been given an hour time slot in the aerobics studio that has been advertised as "Boot Camp." Our first session was yesterday and here's how it broke down:

10 minutes - dynamic warmup line drills (high knees, butt kickers, lunges, bear crawls, etc)
10 minutes - learn fundamentals (crossfit standard squat, pushup, burpee, lunge)

AMRAP 12 minutes - 8 pushups on one side of studio, run across studio, 8 squats on that side, run
AMRAP 12 minutes - 6 burpees, 6 split lunges, buddy carry partner across gym, watch partner do their 6+6 and get carried, etc.

10 minutes - planche holds, side holds, various flutter kicks
rest of time - cooldown stretching, flexibility work

I'm throwing this out there asking for ideas from anyone else who has done this sort of thing. We are very limited in equipment. Medicine balls are a possibility, but not much else.

I think that the women got a lot out of this, but I am trying to plan for next time and I'm looking for some ideas as to how to program the hour that I've been given.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:
Re: "Boot Camp" Programming ideas

Andrew, I've been teaching boot camp classes for a while now, and I also attended boot camp a few decades ago, so I kind of have a wide perspective on this topic The reason why I bring up my military experience is because, having taken part in many bootcamp fitness classes and workshops, there seems to be a mindset in the community that bootcamp classes need to be full throttle from start to finish, set to fast music, e.g. the first exercise is, with zero warmup, 100 four-count jumping jacks, led by some dude wearing military duds. A bootcamp class is, first and foremost, a variation of group exercise, and all of the associated guidance applies, regardless of name. Basically, you'll need to increase and decrease workload to keep them moving for an hour in a safe and effective manner. So, here's what I like to do:

1-hour class
0 - 0:02 -- Intro, safety advice, tell people to work within their own limits, etc.
0:02 - 0:12 -- Rhythmic limbering, whole body stretching and ROM movements, easy pace, can also have low-impact aerobics mixed in
0:12 - 0:25 -- Cardio, e.g. high step walk, run in place, ski jumper, speed skater, jump rope without the rope, etc, one-minute intervals, go back to high step walk every five minutes
0:25 - 0:28 -- towel off, hydrate (which people can do at any time, but putting this into the schedule helps with pacing)
0:28 - 0:30 -- Explain next set of exercises...maybe in-place circuit training, or set up ten to twelve separate stations (to include cardio stations/exercises), or CF exercises.
0:30 - 0:53 -- Proceed with exercise, one minute at each station or exercise, keep time and tell participants when to switch.
0:53 -- 1:00 -- Cool down and stretch

Occasionally, if there are enough people, I'll throw in team medicine ball drills. Here are a few WFS websites that might provide a few ideas (plus Google):

http://www.freeworkoutsguide.com/bootcampworkouts.html
http://www.turnstep.com/

The great thing about bootcamp classes is you're limited only by your imagination...and equipment, but imagination is equipment when used properly. Good luck! -- JT
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

This is great! Thank you very much, JT.

I don't know how I did not think of that before; certainly, something like a "fight gone bad" of sorts with a number of groups rotating on the minute would be very effective.

Also, those links are quite helpful. I appreciate your guidance, JT. I will post back with how it goes!

Cheers!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Troy Becker

Profile:

Lots of burpees. Variations on the burpees. Run them a little. More burpees.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

How many variations of burpees are there?

AFAP, 6 point, over something...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
How many variations of burpees are there?

AFAP, 6 point, over something...
I call my favorite sprawling box jumps. It's a burpee but you have to jump onto something (and extend on top) to regulate the height. Or jumping to something hung above. Burpees with or without push-ups. Burpee-pull-ups. Lateral jump burpees. Forward jump burpees. Backward jump burpees. Jump as high as you can each time (be honest) burpees. Sprawls, i.e. burpees without a jump. A sprawl followed by a kettlebell clean and press.

That's off the top of my head.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Burpee toes-to-bar
Burpee knee-to-elbow
Inverted burpees
Burpee tuck jumps
Burpee broad jumps

If you have dumbells or barbells:
Burpee deadlifts, power cleans, thrusters?

Burpee wallballs

I hate burpees!