CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:
Evolution of My Basement Pain Cave

I'm starting this thread to document the evolution of my basement gym as it devolops.

At Christmas time I decided to clean out the basement and put together a gym for my family and me to do crossfit together. A lot of the current equipment was purchased at that time and some of it was stuff I have had in multiple locations for quite a while.

It seems like weekly I'm improving or changing something so I decided it might be cool to document how it is all evolving. I wish I had started taking pictures when I first started cleaning out the basement because there is a night and day differnce between then and now.

Please feel free to post comments or suggestions, I'm always looking to make improvements
Old 02-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Gus Patino

Profile:
Re: Evolution of My Basement Pain Cave

Can you put some pics up?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

The first thing I wanted to do was make a rock solid pullup bar that would allow as many as 4 people to do pullups at the same time. I chose to use 1" black pipe and fitting and run it the full width of the gym on the west wall.

this thing turned out to be everything I had hoped, you can't shake it at all.

I added the Rogue Portable Pullup System bar so that my 9 year old doesn't have to hang 8' in the air.

We use several of the iron woody bands in various resistance for assisted pullups when needed. These have been a HUGE help for my wife and kids...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 pullup.jpg
Views:	1777
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	7564  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 pullup upright.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	7565  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 pullup detail.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	7566  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 rogue pullup 2.jpg
Views:	1399
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	7567  
Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

I went back and forth for quite a while on what to do for a rack. My initial thought was to use squat stands, but Iím not entirely comfortable with my 14 year old spotting me (for movements you canít just bail on) and I work out alone sometimes so I wanted a full power rack that I could use safety bars with.

I found the Powertec rack on sale on amazon so I researched it and found out it was made of heavy gauge 2.5Ē box tube and seemed solid. I wanted to be able to have the ability for at least 2 people to do barbell exercises at the same time so I removed the lower cross brace and bolted it to the floor with ĺĒ anchor bolts in all four corners. This allows someone to work out on the back side of the rack. I bought an extra set of hooks and the plate holders from New York Barbell and they fit perfectly. I had originally planned to weld along all of the connections to stiffen the rack up, but it wasnít needed. This thing is really solid, I am very happy with the rack.

I put ĺĒ birch plywood attached to the concrete floor with tapcons between the uprights to create (2) lifting platforms that extend 8í from the face of the upright on each side. I painted on the Murrayís cross using these dimensions http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=13994 and then put 3 coats of floor poly over the whole thing and scuffed it up with sandpaper when dry so itís not slick.

I installed 4 x 6 x ĺĒ horse stall mats all the way around the rack and platform. Almost every piece had to be cut to fit. I donít care what you read about cutting these, itís not that hard with two people. You need a long straight edge, a 6í length of 2x4, a tape measure, a white china pencil, a utility knife, and lots of blades. Rubber dulls blades quickly. Mark the mat where you need to cut it. Using the straight edge as a guide, score the mat the entire length of the cut as deep as you can in one pass. Put the 2x4 under the mat, on the side of the matt you will be using, about ľĒ away from the cut. Have someone stand on the piece of mat you are cutting off. This opens it up along the score line and pulls the rubber back so the knife doesnít bind. Continue to make long cutting passes along the line until you have cut all the way through. Change blades after every 2-3 cuts at most.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110209 cage 3.jpg
Views:	2377
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	7568  
Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

Iíve been involved with some form of martial art or another since I was 11 years old and have had my kids involved with Karate, Judo, and MMA since they were little. We already had the bags and gear, but didnít have a dedicated place for them and we never really had mats to roll on at home so I decided to set up an adjacent area for home training.

I bought the 8 yellow mats on clearance (older style) from Zebra Mats and they are perfect for everything from striking and grappling to having a place to stretch and warm-up.

They are just laid loosely right now because Iím still not sure exactly what Iím going to do over there. I want to put some padded panels on the concrete wall and Iíd like to maybe try to put some cage over the wall with the window??? I need to put something at the perimeter to keep the mats from slipping apart (they donít move much, but after a couple of weeks you get some ľĒ gaps between them in places)

The shelf is a cheap plastic deal from Loweís just to store pads and gloves and headgear, etc. 10lb and 20lb Dynamax balls are sitting on top along with a homemade medicine ball and an Abmat. I have some lengths of pipe leaning there for doing overhead squats for the Crossfit warmup.

I have had those flags packed away since I got out of the Marine Corps and decided it would be better to display and enjoy them than keep them folded up in a box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110209 mat area.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	7569  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 bags.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	7570  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 speedbag.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	7571  
Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

I made (2) plyo boxes using Lincolnís plans from the CF Journal http://journal.crossfit.com/2006/09/...-brigham-1.tpl I attached some of my left over horse stall mat to the top of the boxes using liquid nails and brads. These came out at 20" so i still need to make a pair of 24" and maybe 30" boxes. Or maybe just risers???

I havenít finished these yet because Iím trying to decide how I want to paint them. Iím thinking maybe some motivational quotes on the sides or something or some cool images or solid colors, or maybe just clear finish? Anybody have any ideas???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110209 20 inch plyo boxes.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	7572  
Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

On the north wall close to the rack I have my Bars, kettlebells, plates, milk crate of collars and handles, etc. I hung a 4x8 sheet of whiteboard from Loweís to write the workouts and keep track of PRís and other stats.

I bought the Gun Rack from Rogue to hang my bars. Top to bottom I have a Rogue Bar, a Rogue Econ menís bar, a Rogue Bella womenís bar, a homemade technique bar, a Rogue Junior 10K bar, and a POS 1Ēbar that I will be getting rid of.

The homemade technique bar is made from 1-3/4Ē PVC, PVC fittings, ĺĒ electrical conduit, wood shims, and great stuff foam. I had all this stuff lying around so it cost me nothing to make. It is the same length as a womenís bar and my Rogue HG collars fit on the PVC. The whole thing weighs less than 5lbs and doesnít flex or bow with techniques or 10lb bumpers on it. My 9 year old loves this bar and she uses it and the 5lb technique plates a lot.

I have the 350 lb set of Hi-Temp plates and love them. I screwed up though, I was trying to save some money by odering another bar and plates as part of Rogue's So-Cal Econ Package and didn't realize that the 160 lb bumper set included the HG bumpers instead of the Hi-Temp Bumpers. so now I have mismatched bumpers, not a big deal but would be nicer if they were all the same. I also have a set of 5lb HITECH technique plates and some iron 25/10/5/2.5 lb plates.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110209 north wall.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	7573  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 kettlebells (2).jpg
Views:	906
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	7574  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 technique bar.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	7575  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 technique bar end.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	7576  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 technique bar 4.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	7577  

Old 02-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

I have (2) set of Rogue wood rings and a set of Tylerís EXF rings all hung at different heights for doing different things. I like the wood rings the best and the straps are crazy heavy duty. I really like the measurements on the straps that came with the EXF rings. I find when I have to adjust a set for something I am more likely to adjust the set that has those straps because itís easier to get them even. I put a pair of Rogueís wood rings on the EXF straps and this is the set I find myself using the most.

I got a 15í rope with the Rogue Alpha Package I bought. I figured even though I only have 10í clear I should hang it up and try to use it. I wrapped the extra rope around the wood I have it anchored to so thereís not 5í of rope on the ground to trip over. I canít climb up it with hands only yet, so I pull up from the seated position and then get my legs on the rope to go the rest of the way up for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110209 rings (2).jpg
Views:	1619
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	7578  Click image for larger version

Name:	110209 rope anchor.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	7579  
Old 02-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

I bought a set of Powerblock dumbbells to start with since they basically replace a rack full of pairs of 2.5lb Ė 95lb dumbbells in 2.5 lb increments. I like them a lot for anything that you use a conventional grip on the dumbbell. There is no good way to hold it any other way. Changing weights when more than 1 person is using them is a real pain in the butt. Changing the 2.5 lb handle weights quickly is a pain in the butt. I will probably either get a second set of these or start buying some regular dumbbells in the most commonly used weights.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110209 dumbells.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	7580  
Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

This hyper sucks. It was cheap and works for regular hyperextensions, but a proper GHD is on my list. Thinking either the soronex or the standard Legend GHD. Anybody had experience with both?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110209 hyper.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	7581