CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Bill Gibson

Profile:
Pain in left side of left foot

I bought VFF's in january and have been getting into running a bit with them. I gradually worked my way up to 4.1 mile runs without much discomfort. This past Tuesday, I decided it would be a good idea (I don't know why) to run that 4.1 mile route twice for 8.2 miles total in my VFF's. I set a personal record, running the first 4.1 mile lap in 34:26 and the second 4.1 mile lap in 34:37...quite literally the farthest and fastest I've ever ran in my life. Immediately afterward, my calves were extremely sore and tight and I had to hobble around on Wednesday and Thursday. I woke up Friday morning to dull pain all along the left side of my left foot, and only that foot. There is discomfort when I walk on it, but the pain has decreased over the course of the day. Obviously, I made a bone headed decision by ramping up the intensity and duration of my run so quickly (4.1 to 8.2...doubling the farthest distance) as the muscles needed for VFF/Barefoot running hadn't been developed to run that far yet. What might be wrong with the left side of my left foot and what might be needed to prevent something like this from happening again?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:
Re: Pain in left side of left foot

The problem could vary from simple bruising/contusion to something more serious like a Jones fracture. Only way to tell the difference is with an X-Ray.

Get it checked out by an ortho or podiatrist.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Steinbarger View Post
The problem could vary from simple bruising/contusion to something more serious like a Jones fracture. Only way to tell the difference is with an X-Ray.

Get it checked out by an ortho or podiatrist.
Pretty much this.

the alternative is you can wait it out a week and see if it improves significantly and hope it's just some super sore or bruised muscles that just need time to heal.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Bill Gibson

Profile:

Pain feels much better today. I guess it was bruising? I shall see how I feel tomorrow, but level of discomfort is going down!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Any swelling in the foot?
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Bill Gibson

Profile:

as far as I can tell, no swelling really...just a little pain when I walk on it.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Clinton Canaday

Profile:

I have experienced something similar over the past 1.5 weeks. I did 2 mile walk with 85# of added weight. Stupid me did it in slippers since that's all I've really worn for the past six months (Vibrams in gym). For the past 1.5 weeks, I've had dull, very localized pain on the outside of the ball of my foot. It hurts to roll on it, as in when walking/running, but I can deadlift/squat/etc. with no pain whatsoever. The pain is more annoying than anything as I only limp slightly, but it hasn't improved noticeably since it started. No swelling, no bruising, nothing...Actual shoes help a little bit, but not much.

I guess it's time to bite the bullet and pay a doctor to refer me to a podiatrist/orthopedist, whom I also have to pay...stupid, stupid, stupid.

Bill, if you do visit a doc, please report back.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Canaday View Post
I have experienced something similar over the past 1.5 weeks. I did 2 mile walk with 85# of added weight. Stupid me did it in slippers since that's all I've really worn for the past six months (Vibrams in gym). For the past 1.5 weeks, I've had dull, very localized pain on the outside of the ball of my foot. It hurts to roll on it, as in when walking/running, but I can deadlift/squat/etc. with no pain whatsoever. The pain is more annoying than anything as I only limp slightly, but it hasn't improved noticeably since it started. No swelling, no bruising, nothing...Actual shoes help a little bit, but not much.

I guess it's time to bite the bullet and pay a doctor to refer me to a podiatrist/orthopedist, whom I also have to pay...stupid, stupid, stupid.

Bill, if you do visit a doc, please report back.
You can go visit an orthopedist or podiatrist straight outta the gate most time. At least, that's how it works with most insurance. I'd go see the podiatrist if I were you. It'll save you the money of the initial visit.