CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Jason Skolnick

Profile:
Re: Mumford Procedure and recovery

Thank you Dr. Rockett. My understanding of this procedure is a very high success rate due to the fact that there is no repair. For athletes, what type of complications have you seen after this surgery.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 02-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Thank you doctor. What type of complications have you seen, if any, for athletes who have had this procedure? I get signifigant pain in the trap area into the neck, along with the side delt area under the shoulder blade.

Kind regards,

Jason
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Skolnick View Post
Thank you doctor. What type of complications have you seen, if any, for athletes who have had this procedure? I get signifigant pain in the trap area into the neck, along with the side delt area under the shoulder blade.

Kind regards,

Jason
Hi Jason, First concern is regaining range of motion quickly to prevent frozen shoulder. Sounds like you are OK there. Other things are prolonged pain after surgery from swelling or people pushing too soon, infection(rare), weakness (rare). Good luck with it

www.orthopedicsne.com
Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Hi dr. Rocket,

Thank you for your response. I met with my doctor today, as it is my one month mark post surgery. I have significant pain in my trap and front/side delt. The doctor was surprised to see that I was feeling how I am. He believes my pain is coming from inflammation and prescribed a six day packet of methyliprednisolon, which I'm not excited about having to take. I am very concerned there is something else wrong with the shoulder. During the surgery he removed some fraying of the labrum, other than that the shoulder looked very strong. At one month are these symptoms normal. My doctor made me very nervous. I've read so many different views on the recovery process that I don't know what to think.

Thank you,

Jason
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Hi dr. Rocket,

Thank you for your response. I met with my doctor today, as it is my one month mark post surgery. I have significant pain in my trap and front/side delt. The doctor was surprised to see that I was feeling how I am. He believes my pain is coming from inflammation and prescribed a six day packet of methyliprednisolon, which I'm not excited about having to take. I am very concerned there is something else wrong with the shoulder. During the surgery he removed some fraying of the labrum, other than that the shoulder looked very strong. At one month are these symptoms normal. My doctor made me very nervous. I've read so many different views on the recovery process that I don't know what to think.

Thank you,

Jason
Always tough to give advice over the internet, I do know that it can take awhile and yes people can still have pain at 1 month
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Thank you doctor. On a lighter note, I received my MBA from northeastern- class of 1994. Although , I loved my time in Boston, I am a new yorker and a giant/Yankees fan. I hope this doesn't taint our communication moving forward

Thank you very much for taking time to write.

Regards,

Jason
Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Thank you doctor. On a lighter note, I received my MBA from northeastern- class of 1994. Although , I loved my time in Boston, I am a new yorker and a giant/Yankees fan. I hope this doesn't taint our communication moving forward

Thank you very much for taking time to write.

Regards,

Jason
i am taking one day at a time
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Dr. Rocket,

Just wanted to touch base and let you know that I'm one month and almost two weeks and the shoulder is finally feeling stable and well on my way to recovery. I've been doing modified WODS and I'll be starting some light weighted movements next week if I continue to progress. I'm very confident that I'll get back to my normal weighted activities without the pain, thus the surgery will be worth having done.

If your ever in the Jupiter, West palm area come train at H.E.W crossfit!!!

Jason
Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Dr. Rocket,

Just wanted to touch base and let you know that I'm one month and almost two weeks and the shoulder is finally feeling stable and well on my way to recovery. I've been doing modified WODS and I'll be starting some light weighted movements next week if I continue to progress. I'm very confident that I'll get back to my normal weighted activities without the pain, thus the surgery will be worth having done.

If your ever in the Jupiter, West palm area come train at H.E.W crossfit!!!

Jason
Great to hear, thanks for the invite. Sean
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #20
Jason Skolnick

Profile:

Hi Dr. Rockett,

Hope all is well with you and your training!

Well, I am 2 months post op and I'm pretty sure that the pain that I continue to feel is the bone healing.

Questions

1. How long does it typically take for bones to heal for a a very healthy 41 year old man?

2. What type of symptoms would I feel if the clavicle incision were too wide?

3. Is it ok if I do some moderate weight lifting? Back, Bis and maybe some light shoulder muscle strengthening without any overhead pressing movements of course?

4. When it comes to bone healing does using the shoulder slow or hurt the healing Process? eg some weights

BTW. Is your crossfit gym the one who won last year at the games? Did you do the 7 minute burpee wod. How many reps? I would have killed that workout!

Thanks!

Jason