CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
David Meverden

Profile:
Cool alternative fitness competition idea

A pure fitness test, such as the CF games aspires/claims to be, is testing the ability of people to perform well at real world tasks. The test may not mimic real world tasks, but are instead a proxy that is intended to predict real world proficiency (back squatting a barbell is not a realistic real world task, but being able to back squat a lot of weight predicts an ability to do certain things that aren't squatting quite well).

Well, what if the competition just WERE the real world tasks instead of trying to use any kind of proxy? Here's what I'm thinking: solicit people for situations that actually happened where their physical fitness was critical to their safety, the safety of others, their job, or their recreation. For example:
  • Find the soldier who had to sprint to cover, grab his wounded friend and drag him to the rest of the convoy. Simulate that with dummys and weighted gear and see who can do it fastest.
  • Find the hiker who had to run 4 miles to get help for an injured companion. Event is a timed trail run.
  • Find the person who had to dive into a river, smash a car window and pull a family to safety. Competition would be to pull dummies to dry land in minimum amount of time.
  • Find the cop who had to sprint down the alley, scale the fence, jump over the hedge and make a final sprint to chase down the criminal. Simulate that chase with a moving target that people have to chase down. Winner is the person who chases it down with the least distance covered.
I think it would be a cool format for a competition, and each event could have a cool anecdote about the person who had the actual event happen to them. There also shouldn't be as much controversy about how applicable the tasks are to real life since they would be actual situations that happened to people.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:
Re: Cool alternative fitness competition idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
What do you guys think?
David, I think your idea is pretty cool, but the one sticking point for me is the scenarios you outline may require an abundance of instantaneous creativity and adrenaline and not necessarily a solid foundation of physical fitness. In fact, if you rounded up a group of people who individually "completed" the events in a real-world situation, you'd probably find a very, very wide spectrum of a fitness foundation, varying from none at all whatsoever to workout junkie animal gymrat.

I believe that in a life-or-death situation, GPP is nice to have, but quick thinking, adrenaline, and fight instead of flight reaction are more the keys to success than being "fit" because you only have to get it right once, not repeatedly.

Your idea would be a fun competition to watch, though.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
A pure fitness test, such as the CF games aspires/claims to be, is testing the ability of people to perform well at real world tasks. The test may not mimic real world tasks, but are instead a proxy that is intended to predict real world proficiency (back squatting a barbell is not a realistic real world task, but being able to back squat a lot of weight predicts an ability to do certain things that aren't squatting quite well).

Well, what if the competition just WERE the real world tasks instead of trying to use any kind of proxy? Here's what I'm thinking: solicit people for situations that actually happened where their physical fitness was critical to their safety, the safety of others, their job, or their recreation. For example:
  • Find the soldier who had to sprint to cover, grab his wounded friend and drag him to the rest of the convoy. Simulate that with dummys and weighted gear and see who can do it fastest.
  • Find the hiker who had to run 4 miles to get help for an injured companion. Event is a timed trail run.
  • Find the person who had to dive into a river, smash a car window and pull a family to safety. Competition would be to pull dummies to dry land in minimum amount of time.
  • Find the cop who had to sprint down the alley, scale the fence, jump over the hedge and make a final sprint to chase down the criminal. Simulate that chase with a moving target that people have to chase down. Winner is the person who chases it down with the least distance covered.
I think it would be a cool format for a competition, and each event could have a cool anecdote about the person who had the actual event happen to them. There also shouldn't be as much controversy about how applicable the tasks are to real life since they would be actual situations that happened to people.

What do you guys think?
This is cool. Although this is very similar to Firematic racing, which has been around for awhile. (wfs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firematic_Racing).

Check out this video of a ladder race. Great demonstration of speed, coordination, balance, and accuracy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDrBHY0byZY (wfs)

I've also seen some where they have to climb up a structure and pull a dummy out of the building in fastest amount of time. Can't find the videos at the moment but they are very cool.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Thomas Boss View Post
David, I think your idea is pretty cool, but the one sticking point for me is the scenarios you outline may require an abundance of instantaneous creativity and adrenaline and not necessarily a solid foundation of physical fitness. In fact, if you rounded up a group of people who individually "completed" the events in a real-world situation, you'd probably find a very, very wide spectrum of a fitness foundation, varying from none at all whatsoever to workout junkie animal gymrat.

I believe that in a life-or-death situation, GPP is nice to have, but quick thinking, adrenaline, and fight instead of flight reaction are more the keys to success than being "fit" because you only have to get it right once, not repeatedly.

Your idea would be a fun competition to watch, though.
I see your point, that in the real life occurance it's just a "go/no-go" test where you either succeed or you don't, and physical fitness may come in second to other factors, but that doesn't mean that someone more physically fit wouldn't do it better or faster. And the goal of the competition wouldn't really be the mental aspects, just the physical. I could definitely see the winner going "Thank you, I had a good day, but it's easy to say that in a controlled event. I have huge respect for the men and women who tackle tasks like this out of the blue, with no idea what is around the next corner". You wouldn't want to take anything away from the firefighter or cop who went through the real thing just because someone runs through a similar controlled setup faster.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Ryan Hopkins

Profile:

I like this idea a lot and it's one I think the CF games should start moving towards. The main reason being that all of those events would have absolutely no ambiguity as far as judging is concerned. Get the work done as fast as possible. No need to worry about hips below the knees on a squat, bottoms up on a KB swing, or arms locked out when going over head.

Obviously the movement standards and judging criteria are becomig increasingly important as CF grows and the winners receive more and more money. This would be a way to avoid any possible inconsistencies in the judging. The downside of this though is that it would certainly **** off the metcon freaks who've got the strength and the engine to do 45 165lb C&J's in 5 minutes.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
David Hare

Profile:

I think at least moving towards that direction would be a plus.

The specialized skill movements like overhead squats and double unders shouldn't be used in a competition to crown the "fittest on earth".
Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Charles Applin

Profile:

I like the idea, but I hope that there's two aspects:

1. There's 50+ different tasks that can be done (that's the hard part).
2. Of those tasks, six to ten are randomly selected for the competition.

So, you sort of know what possible tasks there are, but it's not so few or predictable that a person can specialize.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Angela Myers

Profile:

In bootcamp DH had to do a drill. Called "battlestations" i believe. They took situations that had really happened in combat and do them. One example is when the Cole was bombed the weapons personel had to hold ordnance above their heads and out of the water, so the recruits had to do that same thing. It lasted for like 24 hours too, the drill. Not just that one. Now if someone else comes along and sqys i got the details wrong, im sure i did. It was a long time ago he was in bootcamp. I dont remember what they did. I just know it was all real events. Anyways basing the events off something like that would be an idea. Im sure with all the military, police, and firefighters here, some Really good suggestions could come up.

I agree itd be awesome.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
What do you guys think?
It would certainly beat watching guys riding stationary bikes and doing L-sits.

Along these same lines, I always thought crossfitting competitions would do well to borrow more from things like highland games, tough mudder, ninja warrior, etc.