CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Jonathan Groves

Profile:
Looking to start up my own Gym.

I am really considering opening up my own facility.

I still need to get my certs and stuff but I'm Just looking for equipment pricing now. Id like to get NASM certified and also Crossfit/crossfit football certified.

There is no real gym in my area. All the gyms here are run down and have bad equipment. There is also no advertisement for the facility. I think if done correctly the gym will be successful.

Since cross-fit is not big in my town right now i think the basic One person cross-fit package like the Warrior Package. I am looking for a place though to get lat-pull down machines and that type of equipment since at this time I could not open a cross fit only facility.

Possibly getting that basic package and getting a few racks/platforms from westside barbell?

Any advice on how to choose equipment would be great.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Mike A Spencer

Profile:
Lightbulb Re: Looking to start up my own Gym.

I don't know about equipment, but if you have a location be sure to add it to Google Maps!!! This is how LOTS of people find Crossfit boxes/gyms and it's free.

Also, you should have some sort of web presence you need to get a domain for the affiliate name and a website to host your "online" box. My recommendation (I'm biased here, so take it for what it's worth) is that you try HiTechGym.com for the website. I'm the main developer and part owner and I'll help you with any technical questions you have. This last part is an obvious plug for HiTechGym, but hey, I'm giving it a go.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Looking to start up my own Gym.

I don't know why you'd be looking for conventional equipment to do the "normal" gym thing. That equipment is WAY more expensive then outfitting a CrossFit only gym.

Start small, grow as needed. Just because you build it, it doesn't mean people will come. Don't get in too deep too soon. Have a plan, do your homework, start small and keep the cash flow healthy.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Jonathan Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
I don't know why you'd be looking for conventional equipment to do the "normal" gym thing. That equipment is WAY more expensive then outfitting a CrossFit only gym.

Start small, grow as needed. Just because you build it, it doesn't mean people will come. Don't get in too deep too soon. Have a plan, do your homework, start small and keep the cash flow healthy.
I was just thinking it would be best to have the equipment like lat pulldown machine some stuff like that for people to use. I would love to get mostly free weights that is by far the cheapest way to go.

But having at least one of each machine would be better for the customer to start off. then get them to convert to cross fit and expand my crossfit clients.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Casey Connor

Profile:

It sounds like you are trying to open a "regular" gym hoping to transition into a box. If that's the case I think the costs just won't make sense. In order to get people in the door for your "regular" gym you'll need to have at least the basics with commercial grade equipment at a cost at least on par with the nearby globo gyms ($30-$60/mo for my area). Commercial grade equipment isn't cheap. Let me rephrase...it's freaking expensive. Then, trying to transition into a box you'll then have to buy crossfit specific equipment and sell nearly all of your "regular" gym equipment at a substantial loss. Look on craigslist...there isn't a big market for used commercial grade gym equipment.

Honestly, I think crossfit works so well because it's different from the globo gym. How do you know its not big in your town? How do you know there aren't a ton of people wishing they could, but there aren't any boxes around and don't have the money/space to outfit their own personal one? Again Faster has a series of great videos going over opening your own box and what to think about.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Harley Duncan

Profile:

Email me the equipment you are looking for and I can give you the cost per item and when you are closer to opening any freight and/or install cost.

contact me when ready:

harley.duncan@troybarbell.com
Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Keith Martin

Profile:

I agree both with Casey and Chris. If you are going to try to CF, start small (I speak from experience) and why would you get machines?

Get creative in your programming and do body weight stuff....get a couple barbells and progress then some plyo boxes and move further....figure out how to get/do pull-ups. If you live close to a park...do box jumps, sprint to park then do pull-ups.

Buying machines may a waste of money.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
adam adkins

Profile:

I just responded to another thread Jonathan started.

I am from Summersville, wv. Couple of things you may want to consider before you start your own gym there.

1. The ville has a population of about 4k. Sure you could pull from other places in the county but there still isn't many people.

2. There is already an elite, hardcore gym there.

"The Gym" has oly bars and bumpers, kettlebells from 10lbs to the Beast, boxes, chains, bands, boards for board presses, 2 prowlers, 2 sleds, tires, farmer's walk tanks, sloshpipes, atlas stones, and every other piece of equipment you can think of. It has produced elite level powerlifters - last time I was there I saw 2 individuals bench over 700lbs. It hosts strongman comps, indoor regattas, kb classes, and will provide individual programming for free.

What is it that you are going to do that is better than that?

Oh and for the record, my family owns it so it is a little personal for me.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
Chris J. Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I just responded to another thread Jonathan started.

I am from Summersville, wv. Couple of things you may want to consider before you start your own gym there.

1. The ville has a population of about 4k. Sure you could pull from other places in the county but there still isn't many people.

2. There is already an elite, hardcore gym there.

"The Gym" has oly bars and bumpers, kettlebells from 10lbs to the Beast, boxes, chains, bands, boards for board presses, 2 prowlers, 2 sleds, tires, farmer's walk tanks, sloshpipes, atlas stones, and every other piece of equipment you can think of. It has produced elite level powerlifters - last time I was there I saw 2 individuals bench over 700lbs. It hosts strongman comps, indoor regattas, kb classes, and will provide individual programming for free.

What is it that you are going to do that is better than that?

Oh and for the record, my family owns it so it is a little personal for me.

I would say that put an end to this thread.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Jonathan meet Adam. Adams family owns a great power lifting gym in your neck of the woods.

In their power lifting gym they have almost everything needed for CrossFitting. What they don't have is a Level I coach or someone to put together a package to expend the range of clients they can attract.

You should see if something can be worked out.

I know my old Oly coach often had the female significant others of some of his lifters that wanted to train at the same time. They were not so interested in Oly lifting so he half assed a program for them.

I would expect a hardcore power lifting gym might have similar issues and CrossFit could be a great solution.