CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Muscle Clamp Collars Okay For Dropping/Feedback/Review??

I am considering getting a pair of Muscle Clamps for myself, and found them for $28 at the Kettlebell King. However, I am curious to know how good they are with dropping? I do not have too much intention of dropping my lifts, and at most it would be from waist height, never from overhead (unless I for some odd reason missed a push press backwards or something) as I do not OLY lift at home.

Anyone have any experiences with these collars? Please tell me the good, bad, anything that might be of good knowledge to know...
Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
John McEneany

Profile:
Re: Muscle Clamp Collars Okay For Dropping/Feedback/Review??

I have only used them on Olympic dumbbell handles. They used to move away from the plates so I sold them and switched to Ivanko pressure band collars that are the best collars I have ever used. I doubt if dropping the bar could cause plates to come all the way off even if you used cheap spring type collars. Are you concerned more with the collars breaking?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McEneany View Post
I have only used them on Olympic dumbbell handles. They used to move away from the plates so I sold them and switched to Ivanko pressure band collars that are the best collars I have ever used. I doubt if dropping the bar could cause plates to come all the way off even if you used cheap spring type collars. Are you concerned more with the collars breaking?
Yes sorry, I should have been more clear. I am concerned with them breaking. How much did they slide away? and how long did you have them for? Did you drop them at all?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Fern Webb

Profile:

spring clips are better value and hold just as well if not better. For the price you could even get 2 pairs to double up for better grip.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I've had great sucess with the Rogue HG clamps. They stay in place, don't move and I haven't had any issue with them breaking after dropping barbells.

Springs are cheaper but after time they open up and have slid off many of my collars.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
John McEneany

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Yes sorry, I should have been more clear. I am concerned with them breaking. How much did they slide away? and how long did you have them for? Did you drop them at all?
I sold them as soon as I found out that they did not stay put. I could not trust them om my dumbbell handles. I doubt they would break if dropped while on a loaded barbell, but would almost certainly slide a little but not near enough to be of concern. As for spring collars, Ivanko's are made of thicker steel and grip the bar much better than others I have tried. Rogue HG type clamps have gotten very good reviews.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McEneany View Post
I sold them as soon as I found out that they did not stay put. I could not trust them om my dumbbell handles. I doubt they would break if dropped while on a loaded barbell, but would almost certainly slide a little but not near enough to be of concern. As for spring collars, Ivanko's are made of thicker steel and grip the bar much better than others I have tried. Rogue HG type clamps have gotten very good reviews.
Maybe if someone I can find the HG's for cheap Ill go with them, but otherwise, itll have to be spring collars (Muscle CLamps were foudn at $28 at the kettlebell king, which is why I considered it). To bad, I would really have enjoyed the convenience of the HG's. Hopefully I find used or something.

Thanks guys
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Eric Welk

Profile:

I have two favorite collars. Muscle clamps are my #1 go to most of the time. They are extremely fast & easy for on off. Very nice if you are changing the load frequently during a workout. My experience with dropping them is that they have a little movement. Not too bad.

The other clamps that are very good are the Rogue HG. These things will not move at all from being dropped. If I am going to be dropping from overhead or not changing the load during a workout these are what I will use. They are not as nice for putting on and taking off frequently during a workout as the muscle clamps are.

My opinion is that spring collars suck...
Old 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Welk View Post
I have two favorite collars. Muscle clamps are my #1 go to most of the time. They are extremely fast & easy for on off. Very nice if you are changing the load frequently during a workout. My experience with dropping them is that they have a little movement. Not too bad.

The other clamps that are very good are the Rogue HG. These things will not move at all from being dropped. If I am going to be dropping from overhead or not changing the load during a workout these are what I will use. They are not as nice for putting on and taking off frequently during a workout as the muscle clamps are.

My opinion is that spring collars suck...
Thats why I want Rogue HG vs. spring collars. I want a better hold and just more efficiency when changing weights, but people seem to have a bit of issues with muscleclamps slipping :S