CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Rehman Masood

Profile:
Out of shape guy's attempt at CF

Hi Guys, I joined CF this week, did two days, and boom, my body is so sore that I have a hard time even standing. I did what I shouldn't have, after 2 days of workout, I am taking 3 days off, my body is just not there. Thought I did reach out to the folks on here to see how should one start and expect if there body is really not used to of any exertion.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Out of shape guy's attempt at CF

You need to ease into things, and the coaches at your gym should be helping you do so. If they're not, I'd talk to them about how to scale or look for another gym where the coaches are interested in keeping people from getting hurt. If you have to keep taking 3 days off every time you work out twice you're going to have a hard time making steady progress.

Drink a lot of water, take your fish oil, work on mobility and do your rolling around on a foam roller or lacrosse ball. Eventually you'll start to adapt to the workload faster, but you shouldn't be immobile the day after a workout. If you are that means you did too much for your experience and conditioning level.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Rehman Masood

Profile:

Thanks Chris! I will definately bring this up with my trainers.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Small, short, light, scald workouts done frequently is the trick.

I work very hard to avoid extreme soreness in my new members. Being supper sore means you did too much. Fastest progress will be made if you are stiff or just slightly sore the next day. Not enough to prevent working out again.

Done correctly your body can adapt and be ready for more quickly.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Jarrod Henry

Profile:

There is a distinct difference between being sore and being injured is important here. If you are out of shape , and have little history of working out (like I did), and your day job has you in a sedentary lifestyle, there is no way to avoid crossfit being sore the first few times.

I know that some people say that you should never be sore, and that you can always scale, but the truth is, a lot of people who get into CF have athletic history. They aren't as out of shape as I was. I was using muscles that I never have used before like that in at least 15 years.

It doesn't matter if your first work out is ten pushups and ten situps for time... if you are overweight and not used to exercising, even that will be sore. What you need to work on is mobility wods and foam rolling and stretching. That's the key goal.

I had a muscle failure, for example, on my first day of cross fit after doing two burpees and three pushups. That's it. Muscle failure, right there. Two burpees and three pushups. Soreness for two days.

Short of scaling it back to me walking from the car to the door, I don't think there could have been much to do.

If, however, the soreness is keeping you out for more than a week, it's not helpful.. just wanted to point out that yes, there are points where people are so weak or out of shape coming into crossfit that no scaling can avoid soreness.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Renata Speranza

Profile:

hello there

during my first month of crossfit i had been sore all the time. i didn't know which muscle hurt more from what workout... of course i did scale all of the workouts, because i was really out of shape. but i kept going to the gym 3 times a week. regularly. sooner or later it stopped hurting... and now, 9 months later i can keep it up with the fit and younger guys/gals. so keep on doing your workouts, scale them.... you'll make a good progress anyway...and then you'll be able to scale less...

i just love crossfit. it's the best thing that ever happened to me!!

ciaoo
Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Your coaches should have you on some type oif On Ramp/Foundations course to learn the basics with at most 1 lesson every 2nd or 3rd day.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 07-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Jason K Adams

Profile:

The first two times I went I felt like I had been hit by a car. No amount of scaling would have prevented that. I was just in terrible shape.

I went once the first week and once the second week. By week three I was going twice a week and week 4 saw me going 3 times a week.

The soreness will pass.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
Rehman Masood

Profile:

Thank you guys. I will be heading back (after a gap of 3 days), lets see how it goes. The good thing is that I am fully recovered (no more aching, I can walk, sit, stand without pain). I will post back how it goes. I think I am going to scale my exercise down until my body gets conditioned. Perhaps, hit up CF Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, take Friday off, and return Saturday.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Benton Harris

Profile:

Hey, man, another very out of shape guy new to crossfit. Am I supposed to put up an introductory post or something? Anyway.

I, too, was super sore from the first couple weeks. Of course, I pushed too hard, because I didn't want to seem like a wuss. At one point I did 3x12 lunges with a cinder block in each hand. Had problems getting off the toilet the next day. ><

Now, seven weeks in, I'm working just as hard but I'm not anywhere near as sore as I was the first couple weeks. I get the impression that our bodies learn what they're doing after some time and can recover much more quickly after that.

Maybe it's placebo, but I've gone from Tuesdays and Thursdays to Monday, Wednesday-Friday. A little pain after each one, but missing a workout is much worse emotionally. I was super bummed that the box was closed Sat-Sun-Mon this week.

Last edited by Benton Harris : 07-05-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Details