CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Dustin Standel

Profile:
Women's weight?!

So the question came up today at the box about the prescribed load for women being different than the mens.

Should women have a different prescribed weight as men or not - Kristan Clever does Isabel with the men's weight?

I think it depends - for WODs like Isabel, 135 is almost 70 pounds less than my current body weight, but is likely 10 to 15 pounds heavier than the average woman at my box - so the leverages are quite different and the work required relatively quite a bit more.

But the difference between a 20" box and 24" box on box jumps? Hell it is probably easier for them to get up than me!

So what do you think?
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 08-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Women's weight?!

Men use bigger basketballs than women, and throw a heavier discus/shot put/hammer/javelin than women do. Softball fields are smaller than baseball fields. It's not like differing "rx'd" standards is an unprecedented idea in established sports.

Men are (on average) bigger than women and carry much more muscle mass. Why wouldn't rx'd weights reflect those differences?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Men use bigger basketballs than women, and throw a heavier discus/shot put/hammer/javelin than women do. Softball fields are smaller than baseball fields. It's not like differing "rx'd" standards is an unprecedented idea in established sports.

Men are (on average) bigger than women and carry much more muscle mass. Why wouldn't rx'd weights reflect those differences?
But then why are softballs so much larger than baseballs?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

IMHO, weights should be scaled to a person's weight and sex. I'll be working much harder using a 65lb barbell w/a bw=115 than the lady next to me w/a bw=180lb.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

or... each person could scale the weight for themselves based on strength and goals.

and using clever as an example is silly. she is the exception, not the rule.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Jason Rahm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
But then why are softballs so much larger than baseballs?
Easier to hit

But not really. The only time I've ever K'd more than once in a game is fastpitch softball.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

We keep very accurate lifting logs. The guys are much stronger then the ladies. If a 225 Deadlift is about 65% of my 1RM it is above 100% of all my ladies 1RM.

When I want to incorporate fairly heavy lifting into a W.O.D. I will often express it as a % of their highest 5RM. This way everyone is lifting right where I want them. This is actually the most accurate way to do things. Most gyms don't require training logs so they don't have the information they need to program this way. With lighter weights it is just unnecessary.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Standel View Post
So the question came up today at the box about the prescribed load for women being different than the mens.

Should women have a different prescribed weight as men or not - Kristan Clever does Isabel with the men's weight?

I think it depends - for WODs like Isabel, 135 is almost 70 pounds less than my current body weight, but is likely 10 to 15 pounds heavier than the average woman at my box - so the leverages are quite different and the work required relatively quite a bit more.

But the difference between a 20" box and 24" box on box jumps? Hell it is probably easier for them to get up than me!

So what do you think?
Perhaps give them the same RX for a week and they can be the judge?
Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
We keep very accurate lifting logs. The guys are much stronger then the ladies. If a 225 Deadlift is about 65% of my 1RM it is above 100% of all my ladies 1RM.

When I want to incorporate fairly heavy lifting into a W.O.D. I will often express it as a % of their highest 5RM. This way everyone is lifting right where I want them. This is actually the most accurate way to do things. Most gyms don't require training logs so they don't have the information they need to program this way. With lighter weights it is just unnecessary.
I agree with this.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Not to highjack or steer this off course. But it would be interesting to see how the strategies would play out if all the weights in the Games were expressed as % of bodyweight