CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Danim Suer

Profile:
UFC 141-Ubereem wins his Octagon debut

I enjoyed the outcome of the fight but I thought Overeem would let his hands loose but those knees are just as dangerous. Pretty big surprise that Lesnar announced that he was going to retire after the loss, I was never a huge fan but the guy is a freak athlete and it was usually entertaining to watch him fight. Great night of fights all in all.

Waiting for JDS and Ubereem now.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: UFC 141-Ubereem wins his Octagon debut

Ubereem should be able to handle JDS- after all, JDS is a striker, and that match-up can only play to Alistair Overeem's favour.

Really good night of fights all told. Still hate Nate Diaz, and was stunned at Fitch being KO'd by the first hit.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Danim Suer

Profile:

Definitely looking forward to JDS vs Ubereem. I hope to see those two let it loose in the Octagon.

As much as I like Cerrone, I can't agree with him standing in the pocket and trying to trade with Nate in the fight. Good wrestlers with decent striking will always beat the Diaz brothers though.

I am shocked at the Fitch fight too, I was not expecting that at all.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Dude. Who puts the results from the fight as the subject line where everyone can see it from the main page? Not everyone has watched this fight already. I was planning on watching it on my DVR tomorrow. Thanks.
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 12-31-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
Michael Buzny

Profile:

I am frankly a little shocked hearing that Lesnar is hanging it up (the bar I was watching the fight at killed the sound as soon as they announced the winner). But on the same hand, I guess its the smart decision, he has made his money, won the belt, he is in mid-30's and has had a good portion of his guts removed, and now there are younger, more talented guys in the division. Bowing out now is a wise move really, especially after eating a kick like that, and realizing there is more of that in your future.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Ubereem should be able to handle JDS- after all, JDS is a striker, and that match-up can only play to Alistair Overeem's favour.

Really good night of fights all told. Still hate Nate Diaz, and was stunned at Fitch being KO'd by the first hit.

I think JDS wins rather easily when that fight does happen. I've been watching Overeem since his LHW days in PrideFC. I'm still not sold on him actually being a top 5 heavyweight.

As for Diaz, I dislike his out of ring antics but he won me money. +450 to go the distance and I took it.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
I think JDS wins rather easily when that fight does happen. I've been watching Overeem since his LHW days in PrideFC. I'm still not sold on him actually being a top 5 heavyweight.

As for Diaz, I dislike his out of ring antics but he won me money. +450 to go the distance and I took it.
I can't see it being easy for either of them, but I've got to go with the 'Reem for this fight, and it'll be hard to convince me otherwise.

As for Diaz, it's not just "out of ring" anymore- I take it you saw what he did in the break between the 2nd and 3rd rounds!

I'll also say this- it seems that there are more and more long, lanky guys coming out of the works and putting on good performances. What are other people's opinions on this?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
I'll also say this- it seems that there are more and more long, lanky guys coming out of the works and putting on good performances. What are other people's opinions on this?
This is true. ^

I don't really have an opinion on it though.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Clark Petri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
I'm happy to see it because as a lanky guy (6'8" / 220#) I enjoy watching my approximate body type fight since I roll and have trained a little bit of MMA. For a while some years back it seemed you had to be jacked to fight.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

It's possible that it's trending back towards skilled and unorthodox strikers. Diaz and Jones are both good examples of this. Previous to that, it was wrestlers who dominated (and they still are, really) and the ideal wrestling build is a shorter, stockier person who is able to use their strength well on the ground. That's not the case for strikers though, as an effective striker can use good reach to control distance, and thereby be able to control the pace of the fight. The Cowboy could have been a lot better for example if he had kept Diaz out of boxing reach, and used his legs more. As we saw, when he did play to his strengths he did well. It's just that Diaz was able to play to his own strengths more in that fight.

PS, this is officially my 1,000th post. I wonder what my first post was...