CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #21
Heath Shumate

Profile:
Re: Taking steroids before joining the military?

From my personal experience.....If you are young enough to be going into the military. You have absolutely no need for a PRO-HORMONE. The human body will sometimes sense a rise in testosterone and its natural production will decline. End result. When you come off the pro hormone it will take your body a while to get regulated back to its normal state. I know this first hand.

And as been stated before. These type products are very hard for the liver to metabolize. I was on a pro hormone for a mere 1 1/2 weeks and went for my yearly physical. The blood work came back and my doc told me I was almost to the point of hospitalization due to my liver numbers. Thats how fast and how bad this stuff can be. I had to come clean as to what I was taking. Now the downward spiral began. It took bout 2 months for everything to get back to good. And My testosterone levels didnt get back normal for nearly a year. I would have been just as well off to have never messed with a pro hormone at all. Good luck in the military.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Villalobos View Post
Mike- I'm planning on joining the Navy and go in as an attorney. But I would like know if I can handle SEAL training. I was thinking of doing PT, Crossfit, and hitting the gym for strength training but I will keep what you said in mind, thanks!

Steven- I hear it both ways that once you get off of a cycle your only left with the gains but I'm pretty sure that is a lie. The only way to keep the gains is if you stay juicing right? So, it doesn't seem worth it. Thanks for your response!

Eric- my squats and pull ups are weak! And my diet is usually eggs and bacon in the morning, fast food, mac n cheese, some grilled cheese thrown in there somewhere. I'm changing my diet though to mainly eating chicken, steak, mac n cheese, eggs and bacon. Crossfit football sounds like it would be good! Thanks for your input!

Katherine- I saw the starting strength main page and it showed a bunch of old women lifting...am I really on the same level as old women?? But I have to start somewhere haha I will look into thanks! And your right I don't have the experience or knowledge of effectively using them. My friend is the one that is trying to persuade me into it. Thanks for your advice!
Old women? The most recent post on there is Kirk Karkowski. Yeah, there's an article about how to train senior citizens, but you must not have read the details.

Again, steroids are the last thing you need in your situation. You're a complete novice who's never trained seriously. Get stronger by lifting heavy and eating a lot.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You're a complete novice who's never trained seriously. Get stronger by lifting heavy and eating a lot.
This sums up the ENTIRE thread! Period.

However, seeing your diet of fast food and mac 'n cheese makes me laugh...you need to seriously do some reading to figure out what a REAL nutrition plan is, in addition to learning about training. Try the search function on this or any other weightlifting board.

Good luck in your endeavors though. Eat. Train. Sleep. Repeat.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
John McCord

Profile:

Sealfit.com (wfs) has SEAL training prep on it

Militaryathlete.com (wfs) Same thing...

It seems that being a giant muscular guy would be more of a hindrance in BUDS, being a small, abnormally strong for your size, kinda guy would be better.

Seriously...how well do you swim IN THE OCEAN. Kinda Important.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
ABSOLUTELY NOT! STEROIDS ARE BAD! ALL GAINS FROM THEM WILL LEAVE SHORTLY AFTER YOU ARE OFF THE STUFF.

Anyway. Be happy you dont have a bunch of fat to fight through. Basic military training favors the smaller lighter guys so your starting out with a leg up. As others have said get on a strength training routine combined with a sensible nutrition plan. There is an overabundance of information available to you, the links you were given for sealfit and military athlete are great sites but I'm venturing a guess you are not quit there yet in your training.

Sorry if I missed it but do you have a date for basic or how far away are you from actually going in?

The prohormone idea is really not needed. Honestly. There are some really crappy products out there and the ones that "work" still get mixed reviews. There are so many other "free" things you can do at your stage that will provide far better results.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #26
Wade Thomas

Profile:

I took steroids for a while. It was fairly common for HS football players back in the late 80’s. I got bigger, but not huge. I got stronger, but not the strongest. On the field I excelled. I also liked the physical results when I looked in the mirror and the attention I got at the beach as a result.

I also verbally abused my family and friends. Started fights where previously I only ended them. My grades tanked because I couldn’t concentrate. I was angry all the time. I lost a few girlfriends cuz I turned into a DB. Started drinking more to feel “balanced” (I didn’t smoke pot like most of my friends on the team also juicing).

I joined the Navy out of HS after ruining any chance at scholarships from being busted drunk at school and being banned from playing all sports my senior year.

If this is what you want… go for it.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
Sean Waklee

Profile:

Your profile shows you live in Fresno. I know for a fact there are 3 boxes within 15mi of wherever you live. I lived in the No for 7 years so I know what I'm talking about. Seek one out and talk to the trainers about your goals and where you want to be before Basic. I guarantee someone, if not a few, people in the box are ex military and they can help you immensely.
And as for you being worse off than old ladies, my answer is yes. They are willing to work their butts off to be fit, and not looking to take any shortcuts. And I bet that there are "old" ladies in virtually every box around the world that could hand you your butt in a WoD.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #28
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

OP needs to eat and lift weights if he wants to put on some mass.

As far as the steroid talk goes any prohormone or "legal steroid" is probably much worse for you than the real thing without the results. I think the whole stigma with steroids is quite sad really, it is all based on knee jerk reactions from people who have never done any real research on the subject. I would never take them because they are illegal but that doesn't take away from the fact that people with no knowledge make up ludicrous claims about the evils of them.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #29
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Thomas View Post
I took steroids for a while. It was fairly common for HS football players back in the late 80’s. I got bigger, but not huge. I got stronger, but not the strongest. On the field I excelled. I also liked the physical results when I looked in the mirror and the attention I got at the beach as a result.

I also verbally abused my family and friends. Started fights where previously I only ended them. My grades tanked because I couldn’t concentrate. I was angry all the time. I lost a few girlfriends cuz I turned into a DB. Started drinking more to feel “balanced” (I didn’t smoke pot like most of my friends on the team also juicing).

I joined the Navy out of HS after ruining any chance at scholarships from being busted drunk at school and being banned from playing all sports my senior year.

Don't take this personally, but I would bet my savings on the fact that you were probably a jerk prior to ever taking an anabolic steroid, and taking them just made you a bigger one.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #30
Justin Ludwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Thomas View Post

You sound like those old anti-steroid commercials that had Ben Affleck throwing crap around the room and freaking.

This thread makes me want to high-five my own face.