CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Rumble Cut Weight

Becca-
I get that.
But would you not agree that when a fighter "must" lose 12+ pounds in the last day before a fight that it puts that fighter's health at risk? Especially if the fighter is doing this numerous times over the course of his or her career?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
John McCord

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Molnar View Post

If you are having problem making weight, than change weight class....
Funny thing is he DID change classes from 170 to 185 because he was having trouble making 170...but never missed by 12 pounds!

He shoulda made the change to 205, too late now though....
Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
Pearse Shields

Profile:

He missed the weight limit because UFC doctors ordered him to rehydrate after he complained of having numbness in one of his legs. It was a decision made for safety's sake.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #14
Adam Molnar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCord View Post
Funny thing is he DID change classes from 170 to 185 because he was having trouble making 170...but never missed by 12 pounds!

He shoulda made the change to 205, too late now though....
Well, Mr. Rumble, there is a place called heavyweight.....might try there, no weight cut required...

To Pearse:
"He missed the weight limit because UFC doctors ordered him to rehydrate after he complained of having numbness in one of his legs. It was a decision made for safety's sake"

That makes sense, but 11 pounds by hydration/rehydration.....is like 5 kilo,wow, that is a lot of weight
Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Many fighters are known to lose close to 20 pounds pre-fight and then put most of it back on right after weighing in. I myself cut down 15lbs in one week for a grappling tournament, and I'm far from mastering weight cutting techniques.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
Sorry, but PL competitions and high school competitions might be able to do same-day weigh-ins, but when there are millions of dollars on the line nobody is going to risk that. The fighters are still going to try to cut weight, so you risk people not making weight, making weight but giving lackluster performances, and actually having people risk their lives. The promotion also risks having major fights not go off because of missed weight, not having time to have someone try to lose the last pound, etc. What if there was a title fight as the main event and one guy doesn't make weight? That means it's no longer a title fight and a whole lot of angry people have already paid for tickets and a PPV and now your fight schedule for the rest of the year is messed up as well, the guys next in line for the title are ****ed, etc, etc...way too much at risk for same day weigh-ins.
Wouldn't same day weigh ins just promote people to fight at their natural class? I.E, GSP would be at 185 and Andy would be a 205'er? Or are you suggesting that fighters would still try to cut for strength advantage? I would also argue, that Frankie Edgar is a good example of why not cutting weight is actually an advantage. My opinion is that he recovers from damage so well, because his body is at its natural and healthy state and also dude obviously doesn’t gas. I think it is interesting that these athletes think they will perform their best after such drastic fluctuations in weight.

P.S what you think about Cheal and Bisping?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Becca-
I get that.
But would you not agree that when a fighter "must" lose 12+ pounds in the last day before a fight that it puts that fighter's health at risk? Especially if the fighter is doing this numerous times over the course of his or her career?
Of course it's putting their health at risk. So is getting punched in the head and having their limbs and spines torqued repeatedly on a daily basis. Elite level sports are not healthy. That's not really the issue, IMO.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
Wouldn't same day weigh ins just promote people to fight at their natural class? I.E, GSP would be at 185 and Andy would be a 205'er? Or are you suggesting that fighters would still try to cut for strength advantage? I would also argue, that Frankie Edgar is a good example of why not cutting weight is actually an advantage. My opinion is that he recovers from damage so well, because his body is at its natural and healthy state and also dude obviously doesn’t gas. I think it is interesting that these athletes think they will perform their best after such drastic fluctuations in weight.

P.S what you think about Cheal and Bisping?
I don't think Edgar's performance can necessarily be correlated to his lack of weight cutting. There are people who weight-cut well who do just fine. Chael cuts horrendous amounts of weight and never has a cardio problem. Randy Couture cut weight throughout his career and never had a problem. Would they want to fight 2 hours after weigh-in? I highly doubt it - they'd probably not have had their IV's out for very long at that point!

If I were a promotion I would not trust that my athletes wouldn't be morons and cut weight badly for same day weigh-ins. People do it at jiujitsu tournaments and amateur muay thai fights where there's literally nothing on the line except a brass medal - sure as heck they'd do it when there's real money on the line.

Re: Chael-Bisping - I'm bummed Munoz is out, that would have been a real fight. Not sure I'm even watching now, quite frankly. I am looking forward to the day Bisping is off the UFC roster.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 01-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I'm in favor of same-day weigh-ins and have always been a proponent of competing in one's natural weight-class.

I've participated in numerous BJJ/submission tournaments that had a variety of weigh-in processes. The reality is that while some people still try to cut on same-day weigh-ins, they cut much less b/c they know the impact that it will have on their performance.

I'm sure if the UFC went to a same-day weigh-in format, the fighters would adapt. It's not worth the weight cut (and risk) if it would impact performance (which it clearly would). They would lose fights, look bad and get dropped from the promotion. None of the guys who currently cut ~20lb days before a fight would ever get into the ring a few hours after weigh-in.

Overall, I think it would be safer to have same-day weigh-ins, as it would reduce the total amount these guys are cutting. Plus the fighters would be competing closer to their natural weight-class, which would make for more entertaining fights.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
Patrick Kucera

Profile:

There is a lot of debate in weight cutting but there is also an art to it also. If you are new to it your going to be weak and off when you fight. But if you have experience doing it and have done it the right way it does not effect you as much.