CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Steve Loeding

Profile:
Reebok CrossFit Games - masters

I'd like to see the Masters division given some more publicity - from what I hear ( I wasn't there ) they seemed to be hidden away in a parking lot or something. A large number of new CrossFitters are in their mid-late 30's and it'd be nice for CrossFit / ESPN to show everyone that age makes no difference in your ability to get fit.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
David Alexander

Profile:
Re: Reebok CrossFit Games - masters

Yes, age makes no difference in your ability to get fit, but it does make a difference when it comes to tv ratings. ESPN is only going to give the CF Games a small amount of time on TV, so they have to show the most exciting parts of the competition.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
I'd like to see the Masters division given some more publicity - from what I hear ( I wasn't there ) they seemed to be hidden away in a parking lot or something. A large number of new CrossFitters are in their mid-late 30's and it'd be nice for CrossFit / ESPN to show everyone that age makes no difference in your ability to get fit.
I wouldn't call them hidden away exactly, but they definitely were not center stage. The area that was used for their events was adjacent to the tent city, so they definitely got a lot of foot traffic. However, the "grandstand" there could probably only accommodate about 600-700 people.

Perhaps in future years, the timing of the events will be such that masters, teams and individual competitors will be able to compete at the same venues, so fans won't have to pick and choose who they'll be able to watch at various times.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

One of the biggest drawback to the '11 Games was not knowing the schedule of events. I understand the "Unknown and Unknowable" with respect to the content of specific WODs, but let the audience know when to be in a specific location for the individual, team and masters competitions.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Jason Martin

Profile:

I would sure like to see a 40+ division. At 40ish, the masters is too tame (for some), yet there is little hope of catching the 24 year old beasts in the main competitions.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Steve Loeding

Profile:

I think it's a good idea to have the masters start at 40 - there really is no way to compete with the younger studs at 40 yrs old (except for a very few).

I realize that TV ratings don't allow for showing the masters - at least not much.

But really, I think it's much more inspiring to the folks watching to see some of the older athletes kicking *** - esp at 50 years old - if you have a 35 - 40 yr old watching the young bucks, they know they don't have a chance - but if you show them that at 50 they can still kick ***, well, maybe it'll get a few off the couch and training.

Just a thought - I'm old (40) so I feel closer in performance to the 45-50 yr olds than the 25 yr olds.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
I think it's a good idea to have the masters start at 40 - there really is no way to compete with the younger studs at 40 yrs old (except for a very few).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone at the Games last year was over 40. It really does seem odd to start the Masters at 45 when most other sports start it at 35 or 40.

Quote:
Just a thought - I'm old (40) so I feel closer in performance to the 45-50 yr olds than the 25 yr olds.
I'm old too, and the lack of a 40-44 Masters category makes me disinclined to bother with the Open.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Christopher Carroll

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McFarlane View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone at the Games last year was over 40. It really does seem odd to start the Masters at 45 when most other sports start it at 35 or 40.

I'm old too, and the lack of a 40-44 Masters category makes me disinclined to bother with the Open.
Yeah, I want my $20 back. I wish I had read more carefully before I signed up. Every other sport I've competed in starts a master's category at 35.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Russell Greene

Profile:

Tom,

You stated that "I don't think anyone at the Games last year was over 40."

Three athletes in that age category (Allen, Dupreez, and Brost) qualified for the Games as individuals last year, as well as one 39-year-old (Conzelman). More information can be found here: http://games2011.crossfit.com/finals/competitors. Link is safe for work and family.

It could be a weird situation if some of the world's fittest athletes had to choose between competing in (and likely dominating) a 40-45 Masters division and competing in the individual competition. Especially when we consider that 40-year-old Cheryl Brost finished 13th in 2010 and 7th in 2011.

You may object that these are unusual, even extreme cases, but that's true of all athletes who compete at the Games.

Last edited by Russell Greene : 02-12-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Safe link
Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post
Three athletes in that age category (Allen, Dupreez, and Brost) qualified for the Games as individuals last year.
So only three of the nearly one hundred competitors were 40+. And only one of the three, Brost, made it past the cut and completed all of the events. Kind of proves my point, I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post
It could be a weird situation if some of the world's fittest athletes had to choose between competing in (and likely dominating) a 40-45 Masters division and competing in the individual competition.
Just because a master's division exists doesn't mean you have to compete in it once you are old enough. No one forced Dara Torres to swim in her age group, after all. The age group category would make the competition more appealing to people like me, but it wouldn't stop a Brost from going out and kicking butt in the main event.