CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Chris F Jones

Profile:
Which workouts for 3 days a week?

Greetings. Here's my story:

40 year old male. 5' 9"", 200 lbs. Some muscle, could probably stand to lose about 15 lbs of fat, but like most males want more muscle too. My diet is pretty much garbage.

From googling, I know that I can do CF only 3 days per week. The problem is I'm not sure which 3 workouts each week I should do? Should I just do the WOD on whichever day I'm working out?

Also, two other days per week I'll be doing boxing or MMA, so my natural concern is about losing muscle. I've read about a "strength based" CF, but cant find a WOD for it specifically. Does it exist?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Which workouts for 3 days a week?

I would do something like GSLP or 5/3/1 for your strength work, followed by a short CFFB-style metcon on those 3 days per week.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Chris F Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I would do something like GSLP or 5/3/1 for your strength work, followed by a short CFFB-style metcon on those 3 days per week.
Huh?

Edit -- nevermind, googling now...

Last edited by Chris F Jones : 09-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Other people on these boards can answer your question better than I can, but they would need to know...
  1. What are your goals?
  2. What does your boxing and MMA sessions include? Lifting, cardio, only technique, etc.
  3. What 5 days are you doing what? 2 exercise (CrossFit) days in a row means something different than having a day off in the middle.

In general, the members of these message boards don't favor doing the workouts on CrossFit.com's homepage. They tend to be pretty random. This may be good if you in the military and need to always be prepared for anything, but you will get better results (gains) if you can follow a workout plan that is more structured.

Most members on these boards prefer starting with a workout plan with a heavy strength bias. These plans tend to have 2-4 lifting workouts a week, focusing primarily on major compound lifts such as squats, presses, pulls (deadlift), pull-ups, and the Olympic lifts. Afterwards, many include a short metcon that is for cardiovascular and/or muscular endurance. Eric mentioned some of the favorites around here. Google "glsp", "5/3/1", or "CrossFit Football" to read up on any of them.

And remember, many/most of these plans may be assuming that you are only doing that workout plan and little else. You may have to adjust the intensity and volume based what your boxing and MMA includes.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Chris F Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
Other people on these boards can answer your question better than I can, but they would need to know...
  1. What are your goals?
  2. What does your boxing and MMA sessions include? Lifting, cardio, only technique, etc.
  3. What 5 days are you doing what? 2 exercise (CrossFit) days in a row means something different than having a day off in the middle.

In general, the members of these message boards don't favor doing the workouts on CrossFit.com's homepage. They tend to be pretty random. This may be good if you in the military and need to always be prepared for anything, but you will get better results (gains) if you can follow a workout plan that is more structured.

Most members on these boards prefer starting with a workout plan with a heavy strength bias. These plans tend to have 2-4 lifting workouts a week, focusing primarily on major compound lifts such as squats, presses, pulls (deadlift), pull-ups, and the Olympic lifts. Afterwards, many include a short metcon that is for cardiovascular and/or muscular endurance. Eric mentioned some of the favorites around here. Google "glsp", "5/3/1", or "CrossFit Football" to read up on any of them.

And remember, many/most of these plans may be assuming that you are only doing that workout plan and little else. You may have to adjust the intensity and volume based what your boxing and MMA includes.
1) Lose fat, maintain muscle.
2) Only techs.
3) Typically take Thursdays and Sundays off of all workouts, with boxing/ MMA on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Ive been doing some more digging this morning, and I see what you're saying about needing to mix it up for me specifically. My knee isnt completely healed, and Im probably still a few weeks out from any of this. Think I'll just spend that time reasearching and gathering as much info as possible, and formulate a plan from there. I think I like the short/ heavy lift followed by a short metcon idea.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
  1. What are your goals?

One of the major advantages of a program like GSLP or 5/3/1 is that it can be adapted to work with the additional boxing or MMA stuff on non-lifting days pretty easily, even if you still want to do CF-style conditioning after a few of your lifting days.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F Jones View Post
1) Lose fat, maintain muscle.
2) Only techs.
3) Typically take Thursdays and Sundays off of all workouts, with boxing/ MMA on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Ive been doing some more digging this morning, and I see what you're saying about needing to mix it up for me specifically. My knee isnt completely healed, and Im probably still a few weeks out from any of this. Think I'll just spend that time reasearching and gathering as much info as possible, and formulate a plan from there. I think I like the short/ heavy lift followed by a short metcon idea.

Thanks!
In that case, I'd highly recommend picking up the 2nd edition 5/3/1 e-book WFS. Says it's out of stock for some reason, but an e-book can't really be out of stock.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Chris F Jones

Profile:

Just realized that my other goal would be to gain cardio and explosiveness.... which I can likely achieve by incorporating the right exercises into my metcons. I'm fairly exoplosive and have decent cardio for a 40 year old fat guy, but it could be better.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You can take care of those needs by throwing in power cleans, max height box jumps, plyometrics, and conditioning work in ways that complement (rather than hurt) your lifting progress.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
Chris F Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You can take care of those needs by throwing in power cleans, max height box jumps, plyometrics, and conditioning work in ways that complement (rather than hurt) your lifting progress.
Yep yep, thanks!