CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Robert W. Mitchell

Profile:
Investing in an existing Crossfit

Does anyone have any experience investing in an existing Crossfit? The box has been up and running for 4 years with great brand recognition. I'm looking for any and all advice and any personal experiences that you can share.
Many thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Dan Dirkx

Profile:
Re: Investing in an existing Crossfit

My first question would be why are they looking for investors?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
John McPherson

Profile:

There is only so much that an established gym should need 4 years into it business...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Chris Cooper

Profile:

How do you measure 'brand recognition?'

What are its practices? Can you enter as a new owner and operate as a turnkey? What's the owner's equity? What's the owner's net revenue for the last three years? These are the determinants of a business' value from a fiscal standpoint. If you're buying because you LOVE it, that's different.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Robert W. Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
How do you measure 'brand recognition?'

What are its practices? Can you enter as a new owner and operate as a turnkey? What's the owner's equity? What's the owner's net revenue for the last three years? These are the determinants of a business' value from a fiscal standpoint. If you're buying because you LOVE it, that's different.
Chris,
While the box has an average of 250+ monthly members, the current lease and existing debt service is very high, making positive cash flow difficult. I have an opportunity to finance a piece of that debt with some very creative terms that are more beneficial for the box than the existing loan terms. In exchange for that, I would ask for equity in the ownership entity LLC, a guarantee on loan principal, and a pay-back schedule with an aggressive interest rate. While all this seems straight-forward, this type of deal structure is new to me and I'm looking for helpful insight and advice from anyone who has first-hand experience.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Kevin Mueller

Profile:

Find an attorney with M&A experience, preferably one with experience buying/selling businesses that are based on personal services. They will help you with structuring the deal AND making sure that you do proper due diligence on the business. Get a good professional business valuation (and one that takes in to account minority ownership/lack of marketability discounts).

You mention financing a piece of debt, implying that other debt will remain. If you take an equity interest you will be buying in to liability for that other debt - will you be required to personally guarantee it? What is the plan for paying down that debt and also paying your "aggressive" interest rate? What collateral will you get for your financing (bear in mind that a typical box's hard assets won't go very far as collateral), and how many other creditors will be ahead of you in line if things go south?

Don't buy in to a business as a hobby unless you don't mind losing the entire investment. I've represented a few clients who've bought in to businesses solely because they liked being a client, or out of a personal relationshp with the owner, and didn't do the proper due diligence despite my objections. All of them have since lost their initial investment.

Good luck
KMM
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Eric Love

Profile:

A box w 250 members, but not generating any cash flow to equity must have a fundamentally flawed operating model. Unless you feel you can get in there and make real changes to the business, doesn't make much sense to play in the equity. If you're just after yield and are willing to accept lower yield than the owner's current lenders, then so be it, become a lender. Or structure as some sort of preferred equity. But, I go back to where I started. At 250 members, a gym should be kicking off some serious cash flow.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Steve Loeding

Profile:

wow - 250 members and not making money - something very seriously wrong. Even if it were on the cheap - $100 for unlimited / month - that's $25000 / month !!! They must have taken out a huge loan for equipment and must be renting some prime property
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

Knowing that I would take a hard look into not investing in that. Unless they have a very large amount of loans...which would be a warning for how they are going to spend your money. It may be a problem with how they set up rates and memberships with their current members. I wouldn't take something on that will require alot of change on the MEMBERS parts, because they can always leave if there will be alot of changes, especially financially for them.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Kevin Benson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W. Mitchell View Post
Chris,
While the box has an average of 250+ monthly members, the current lease and existing debt service is very high, making positive cash flow difficult. I have an opportunity to finance a piece of that debt with some very creative terms that are more beneficial for the box than the existing loan terms. In exchange for that, I would ask for equity in the ownership entity LLC, a guarantee on loan principal, and a pay-back schedule with an aggressive interest rate. While all this seems straight-forward, this type of deal structure is new to me and I'm looking for helpful insight and advice from anyone who has first-hand experience.
Like others have said, you'll need to start with a credible business valuation. Without that you won't know what you dollar investment means in percentage of ownership.

Second, since part of your investment will be debt, you'll have to figure out if you can take any collateral. Having been a lender for a number of years, I'm 99% confident in saying that the exisitng lenders have all the business assets tied up and have personal guarantees from the current owners, and may have gone as far as taking security interests in their personal assets where they could. You'll need to find out if the existing lenders will grant you a shared collateral position in the assets. They have no incentive to do so, but you can always try. Then you need to decide if you're comforatble doing an unsecured loan to the business. Far riskier and you're only 1 step ahead of equity holders in the event of a liquidation. Also, the exisiting loan may prohibit the business from taking on debt without their consent, so that may be a non-starter for the whole deal.

I'm not sure if you've answered this yet, but are looking at this purely as an investment, or will you actively be engaged in the business?