CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
John Frank Adam

Profile:
What kind of exercises/WODS can my friend do who has with FSH Muscular Dystrophy

Basically my friend was diagnosed with FSH MD(Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy) a few years back, and since has gone to university and stopped doing any sort of physical activity. This summer I plan on starting a make shift cross fit gym in my backyard that will include everything but rowing and rope climbing. I have no certifications, its basically just a way for all of us to get out and motivate each other. However I want to cater a special program for him, that still includes much of the stuff we will be doing. What I want to know is What exercises and stretches can he do, what i should have him eating to combat the effects of this condition, as well what are any general do's and dont's. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions, or anyone with knowledge of this condition and the best way to combat it I guess. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: What kind of exercises/WODS can my friend do who has with FSH Muscular Dystrophy

Commendable that you are wanting to help your bud. But this is a pretty serious genetic disorder.
I think you should read up on his problem and maybe contact the people on the link. See how you get involved. Wfs http://www.fshd.ca/

Good site http://www.fshsociety.org/index.html wfs
http://www.fshsociety.org/pages/patHIExer.html. Perhaps you can be a swim buddy. Perhaps this would help achieve a win win. You get to help your bud, he gets a work out and gets a therapy session. Perhaps use the idea of a swim race as agoal? If he stopped doing anything physical. You are first step is get him to see the advantages of getting back in.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 03-05-2013 at 01:10 PM.