CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Mitch Medeiros

Profile:
Scaling the Open WODs

Is the official rule, "no scores for scaled open WODs should be recorded" (or something along those lines)?

We've talked up the open with our members but we're a new affiliate and plenty of members are just not able to complete some of the movements, at least when I look at last year (t2b, pull-up, 115pp, etc). We preach "universal scalability" at CrossFit when it comes to the open, it seems to be the case only for RX athletes.

In my humble opinion, it'd be nice to have a "scaled" option where members could log their scores accurately and have something to look back on for years to come. There wouldn't need be a "scaled fittest person on earth" but it'd allow more participation. I realize that it'd make a ***** load more work, and maybe I'm living in fantasy land, but it seems to me that the open isn't all that "all inclusive" at the moment.

Just to be clear, Iím not complaining. I enjoyed the open last year and I really encourage everyone to sign up. I just donít want to look like an idiot when a new member signs up with no idea what to expect (on my recommendation) then canít even log a score for the first WOD because it had something he/she couldnít do.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Mike Kelley

Profile:
Re: Scaling the Open WODs

We have a lot of people that signed up with the understanding that there will be some things they might not be able to do. If anything, I told them to use this as a way to find out what they need to work on and help set some goals.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I tend to agree, but one of the hallmarks of the Open is that a whole bunch of people attempt to do things for the first time because the standard is non-negotiable. I can almost guarantee if, to be more inclusive, there was a scaled division with all lower level movements, a lot of borderline people would immediately opt for the scaled division and not challenge themselves to get that first pull-up, T2B, double under, etc. Just telling our members that they are not going to be able to scale single unders has already sparked a bunch of double under PRs in our gym. Having one WOD for everyone also fosters a greater sense of community.

Of course there will be some movements that people absolutely cannot do, or are not safe for them to attempt at their current ability level. That's where the coach comes in. Probably by the 3rd or 4th week there will be something that just has to be scaled for a good chunk of people. We're all hoping that HQ is even better this year, offering more inherently scalable WODs with ladder formats to challenge everyone appropriately within the time caps. I think they are well aware who their main audience is for the Open (new CFers), and have to balance that with the logistical challenge of making sure the workouts do a good enough job of filtering out the fittest (and not being boring, complicated, etc.).
Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Mitch Medeiros

Profile:

Well said, Mauricio.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I also expect well written workouts that will allow people to generate a score in most cases. It may be a low score but it will be a score. Several of last year's workouts used this method and it worked great.

I'm telling my people our goal is to do our best (not risking an injury if it is a form issue). The heavy lifting will most likely be at Regionals anyways.

I looked back at last year and the Open was an excellent predictor of success at Regionals and the Games.

I also got a few of my people who like to run 5 & 10ks by appointing out it is much cheaper then what they spend to run in circles.