CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Stephen Fishbach

Profile:
Rhomboid pain after labral repair

I'm exactly two months out from a posterior labral repair. I came down hard off a kipping pullup in the middle of a brutal wod and heard something pop. Subsequently, I was having major shoulder instability and a lot of pain in my rhomboid, and got 3 anchors put in. I've been doing ROM exercises since about a week after the surgery and have just started light band strengthening exercises. Ortho is very happy with my progress, and other than a small scare where I may have strained it a little, I've been incredibly diligent about safety.

The problem I'm facing now is - I have a lot of shoulder instability and rhomboid pain! Other than the "normal" cracking and popping and weakness, I'm getting a lot of crepitus along the rhomboid and pain along that muscle. This was one of the major diagnostic reasons that I got the surgery in the first place!

It's frustrating to emerge from the surgery having the same pain and issues that I did before going in. The PT told me it's unusual for labral patients to have pain along the rhomboid and thinks there may be something else at play.

I was wondering if anybody else who'd gone through labral repair had dealt with the rhomboid pain/crepitus issue. If so, what did you do to stop it? When did it go away? I'm trying to figure out if this is one of 3 things
1) Is this just a normal part of recovery?
2) Did something go wrong with my anchors?
3) Is there some third issue at play that may have been responsible for all this pain to begin with.

Any insights would be appreciated.