CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Chad Lane

Profile:
Crossfit Shoes

OK, so I am new to crossfit, with only 4 visits in, and would like to know some top recommendations for crossfit shoes. If I can get about 3 or 4 good choices to choose from, I can go from there. I will say after a quick look online, I came across a New Balance MX20v2, New Balance MX20v3, New Balance MT10, and Inov 8 F Lite 195.

Also, can these types of shoes also be used for running? I noticed some crossfit workouts have short distance runs as part of their workout.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Chris Diamont

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Shoes

I have had the Inov8 F-lite 230's for about a month now and love them. Great for lifting and running. You can get them at 6pm.com for pretty cheap.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Edward Park

Profile:

Myself can suggest that you avoid the New Balance MX20v3 (long time new balance lover..I gots dem wide feets ), got those when I first started crossfitting brand spanking new and used them dedicated to WODs and ended up ripping/burning up a nice hole in the pinkie toe end of them by the end of month 4 much to my frustration. I went in and now using a pair of Nano 2.0 for about 3 months now with no complaints!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Myself is a big fan of Chucks and Onitsuka Ultimate 81's, depending on the amount of running in the WOD.

- Mark
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Chad Lane

Profile:

Ok. I am actually beginning to lean towards the MX20v3 although the MT20 looks like it would be better for "everything" including running. I don't see myself running in these other then when the workout calls for it. I noticed the MX20v3 is really designed for crossfit, but seems limited to lifting, etc. whereas the MT20 is more of a trail running shoe, but also a minimus that I have seen recommended for crossfit as well. I hate making decisions!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Jason Denny

Profile:

$50 Chuck Taylors are hard to beat and are quite rugged.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Ryan Gonzalez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
$50 Chuck Taylors are hard to beat and are quite rugged.
Great suggestion!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Lane View Post
Ok. I am actually beginning to lean towards the MX20v3 although the MT20 looks like it would be better for "everything" including running. I don't see myself running in these other then when the workout calls for it. I noticed the MX20v3 is really designed for crossfit, but seems limited to lifting, etc. whereas the MT20 is more of a trail running shoe, but also a minimus that I have seen recommended for crossfit as well. I hate making decisions!
I'm curiious what type of running foot plant you use? Heel or midfoot? The New Balance Minimus shoes require you to use a midfoot strike unless you like pain and injury. If you already run with a midfoot strike, you can pretty much run in anything.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Don't buy new shoes.

Ware out the ones you have and gain more experience so you can buy the correct pair for you.

There should be a no new shoes rule for the first 90 days.......

I have shoes I prefer. I can tell you exactly why I like them. This came from experience. Once you have the experience you will understand what you personally want in a shoe.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Chris Hohn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
I'm curiious what type of running foot plant you use? Heel or midfoot? The New Balance Minimus shoes require you to use a midfoot strike unless you like pain and injury. If you already run with a midfoot strike, you can pretty much run in anything.
Truth. Made that mistake 2 years ago. I've never experience as much foot pain as I did running in those things. One night I got home from the gym and it felt like I tore every muscle in my foot. I almost went to the hospital. Felt much better the next day and never wore them running again. I do however use them for WODs that don't require running. But I bought the Nano 2.0's the other day to try them out. Can't wait for those babies to get delivered!