CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
Justin R Johnson

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Shoes

Chad,

I originally started Crossfit in just a pair of Nike's. Just something that you'd buy off the shelf. I did just fine. Because I'm a big runner, I ended up with a pair of the New Balance "Minimus" shoes. Those were my goto Crossfit shoes for a while then I upgraded to a pair of Nano 2.0s a few months ago and I haven't looked back. (Yes you can run in the Nanos, I wouldn't suggest a marathon, but a mile or so in a WoD...no big deal)

My first take for you would be, don't buy new shoes. Get in the box, work on your movements, focus on what you need to be doing. Personally I think all that "specialized" Crossfit shoes do is help you feel your feet more during olympic lifts and they can help you diagnose when you're weight isn't in your heels easier than a more cushioned pair of shoes (Like the Nike's)

There's lots of information about this online, I've written an article about it on my blog here: http://www.everylastrep.com/crossfit...ou-really-need

Tabata Times has written a shoe buying guide as well: http://www.tabatatimes.com/product-r...-buying-guide/

Bottom line, I wouldn't even think about it for the next couple of months. You might not feel as cool as some of the other guys, but it's not your focus right now. Your focus is foundational movement. Coolness can come later
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:

Big fan of the Inov8 f lite 230s, Bare xf 210s, and NB minimus line. Next up is some nanos most likely. gotta see what the rage is all about!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

I like Altra's shoes. Just wish they came in wide. They're wider than normal shoes; but I have really wide *** feet.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
Jason Denny

Profile:

You don't NEED expensive flats to CrossFit in. Adidas Samba's, Converse wrestling shoes, or Chuck Taylors are all under $55 and are perfect for CrossFitting. I even run in them. Maybe I'm just old school but my first high dollar shoe bought were my Adidas Addipower lifting shoes and that was 4 years after I started CrossFit.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Huge fan of the NB MX20v1. Ideal for anything CF throws at you IMO. I'm on my second pair, first ones lasted over a year with mostly CF, but some day to day wear as well.
http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-20...efault,pd.html
link wfs
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
Matt Holmer

Profile:

I love the MX20v1. They have held up great for over 1.5 years with daily WODs. The only issue I'm starting to have is the toe wearing away from burpees. It looks like the v3 fixed this issue with a toe cap. I have ran the Bix7 (7 miles of hilly road) without an issue. Best part, they're probably only $50 now.

Only real negative, I probably wouldn't rope climb in them because the sole might give way. Again, should be fixed with the new version.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Ryan Gonzalez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
You don't NEED expensive flats to CrossFit in. Adidas Samba's, Converse wrestling shoes, or Chuck Taylors are all under $55 and are perfect for CrossFitting. I even run in them. Maybe I'm just old school but my first high dollar shoe bought were my Adidas Addipower lifting shoes and that was 4 years after I started CrossFit.
Totally agree. I would probably say buy the lightest cheapest shoes you find comfortable. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into one particular brand or another making you a better crossfitter. Find a pair that is comfortable on your feet and learn proper techniques. Everything else will follow.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
John Holcombe

Profile:

I have new balance minimus shoes (not sure which type) and I love them
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Holmer View Post
I love the MX20v1. They have held up great for over 1.5 years with daily WODs. The only issue I'm starting to have is the toe wearing away from burpees. It looks like the v3 fixed this issue with a toe cap. I have ran the Bix7 (7 miles of hilly road) without an issue. Best part, they're probably only $50 now.

Only real negative, I probably wouldn't rope climb in them because the sole might give way. Again, should be fixed with the new version.
I chewed mine up rope climbing if you do the "overfoot" technique. If you do the around the leg, not so much (though that chews up your leg).
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
Adam Shreim

Profile:

word on the street is that the Nano 3.0s are in the testing phase.