CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
Joseph M DAndrea

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Shoes

I like the new balance minimus because I can get them in a wide. I dont really like them for running I may buy a pair of true running shoes for wods with running in them.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
Hillary Ashton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
I have new balance minimus shoes (not sure which type) and I love them

I started in Dec. I worked out in my Asics for 3 months. I then decided that I needed something to be lighter on my feet for double unders so I got some NB and really like them. They provide enough stability for me (as I am new and the Reebok Nano's seemed to provide LESS stability -- maybe next year). I've been using the minimus for about a month and like them for everything except running distances in WODs and a lot of box jumping (the foot strike is too much in the minimus).

HTH
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph M DAndrea View Post
I like the new balance minimus because I can get them in a wide. I dont really like them for running I may buy a pair of true running shoes for wods with running in them.
Do you run with a heel first strike or midfoot?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
Joseph M DAndrea

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
I must admit I have very poor running form and I think the minimus really bring that to light. also the extra 90 pounds of body weight probably doesn't help.

I have to really concentrate on running heal toe but as I get tired I start worry about form less and more about surviving the WOD. That is a big challenge I need to overcome as gaining the focus even under stress to do the movements correctly.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #25
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I use Merrell Road Gloves: comfortable on my feet, great for WOD's. Because of a Total Knee Replacement I don't run over 200 meters, (its wear and tear thing) I had to re-learned proper running techniques. WOD's with runs longer that 200m I row my C2 or ride my single speed bike
55/210/72"
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #26
Ryan Gonzalez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
My doctor toldme if I run with a heal strike first, i am doing it wrong, then went into an 30 min spiel on how the human body is design to run on the balls of your feet yada yada yada, heal strikes are bad for you knees, hips and back, yada yada yada. Anyways even though I still do it occasionally I try to run with shorter strides and stay off the heals. My minimus help with this.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #27
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph M DAndrea View Post
I have to really concentrate on running heal toe but as I get tired I start worry about form less and more about surviving the WOD. That is a big challenge I need to overcome as gaining the focus even under stress to do the movements correctly.
With minimal shoes you SHOULD NOT run landing on your heel. You have to adopt a midfoot first running stride. For heavier people, this is more important due to the increased forces of a heel strike. In my experience (way back when I ran and weighed 150ish) I always got shin splints and plantar fasciitis when running with heel first foot strike. Currently, after adopting a midfoot strike and wearing minimalist shoes, and weighing around 230, I have NO running leg or foot problems.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #28
Michael Cook

Profile:

I wear Nike Gato for wods, unless I wear my weightlifting shoes, Nike Romaleos. The Gatos are indoor soccer shoes. The soles are nice and stiff and flat, and the uppers are made of pretty tough leather.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #29
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
word on the street is that the Nano 3.0s are in the testing phase.
Yup. I saw them a few days ago. Was told by a Reebok rep that they're a bit different than the 2.0s. A little "rounder". Should be out in June.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #30
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Chucks