CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
Amber Werts

Profile:
Help! possible SLAP tear

I have been a crossfitter for almost a year now and love every painful minute of it. Now on the subject of pain. In January I had done a handstand and lost my balance and fell backwards, pulling my shoulder. That same month we had a crossfit challenge at my box which consisted of multiple maxes and different WOD's like FRAN and RANDY. Let me just tell you my shoulder did not like RANDY or snatchs at all! Very sore, but hey no pain no gain, but I did take a week off and did a lot of ice and NSAIDs. Then come three months later time to do everything again. I was doing 105 lbs. push press and my shoulder popped out along with my elbow, and the pain was crazy, but sort of went away. Well I thought my form was wrong and so I attempted this again...and again my shoulder and elbow popped and the pain was there. I dropped the bar and stopped...well until time for FRAN.I should not have done FRAN and I know this, but I did it. I saw the Orthopedic because the pain was unbearable! Well after 3 wks. of ordered PT, ice and powerful NSAIDs and no relief I am scheduled for an MRI for a possible SLAP tear. I have almost a consistent dull ache, consist popping in and out and some grinding (these all cause me ALOT of pain). I also can't sleep or rest on this shoulder. I do also have numbness and tingling from my shoulder to my hand when I use my arm at work or any other time. (My neck has been ruled out). I guess after reading all the other posts I should be glad I have an MRI scheduled a month from my last event, but I am very worried it will not show anything. I cannot deal with the consistent pain and numbness. I did take 4 weeks off of crossfit and now am only doing leg work. Can anyone help or give any advice?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Amber Werts

Profile:
Re: Help! possible SLAP tear

I also have a high arch..or something to that affect with my clavicle that may need shaved off...ayi yi yi
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

It sounds like you have a labral tear in the froon of the shoulder or a bankart tear which can cause your shoulder to be loose and pop out. I would definitely not go overhead due to the risk of instability and it popping out again and wait for your tests and your doctors recommendations. Numbness can occur from the nerves getting stretched when the shoulder shifts or subluxes. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Amber Werts

Profile:

Thank you! I hope my MRI shows something and I get answers, but until then NO arm work for me! Fingers crossed!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Jen Greenwich

Profile:

My only advice is to make sure they do the MRI with contrast. I was diagnosed with a SLAP tear that turned out to be a torn muscle. I tore my supraspinatus in an unusual location and so it presented like a SLAP tear. The contrast MRI saved me from having surgery.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Hmm... doesn't sound real good mate. I had slap surgery 2 years ago. My symptoms were pretty much exactly what you're experiencing.

Search for "My SLAP Journey" on here, lots of good reading from pre to post surgery.

All the best.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Amber Werts

Profile:

Well..I got my MRI results...and it was normal. I should be happy about this, yet the pain took a crazy turn this AM and I woke up in tears I still have the same issues with pain when I reach across my body and behind and over head. I have gone back to cross fit and did my first 30 pushups and hang cleans yesterday and during the work out there was no pain. I feel like my MD thinks that since the MRI was clear he wants to do cortisone shots and be done, but at the same time he does not have a reason to give me those shots yet...so I am not okay with "covering the problem". Now I still have my collar bone that is extended further that could be causing the pain, but I also have been told by many an MRI may not show a tear if I do have one. Do I just give more time? Push the ac joint issue? Or just go get a second opinion? Any thoughts of anyone going through this type of issue?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Sometimes you can have a loose shoulder without a labral tear but a stretched out capsule and something an MRI can be read as normal. Usually a good physical exam can pick up on this. If your shoulder does indeed pop in and out as you have written, then you should get it checked out. If it does not pop out then rehab and strengthening is reasonable.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
Amber Werts

Profile:

I am going in for my third appointment and will finally be seeing the Dr and not the PA. Do you have any advice on what I should ask my Dr or tell him to help this process?? I am going to ask him (if he does not do it himself) to do some shoulder stability testing. Do you think it is normal to still be having pain almost 2 months out without over working the arm? I am very frustrated with this and the pain that is coming with it...
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Sean Rockett

Profile:

if your shoulder really popped out of joint he will be able to detect this on his exam for instability, if he is an orthopedic surgeon that would be a routine part of the exam. As far as the history tell him exactly the mechanism and show the position of your arm when it popped out. tell him if it feels loose now or just painful or both