CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Tim Alford

Profile:
Tim's Life Changing Workout Log

Hey everybody,

My name is Tim, I live in Columbus, Ohio and I have been stalking Crossfit.com for the last 2 months. I've contacted a few gyms in the area and decided on FTW Crossfit. I met with the owner, Ryan, today and I have set my first workout for tomorrow morning! I decided to keep this workout log to keep me accountable for my daily workouts.

A little about me, I'm 6'0", 190 lbs., and 24 years old. I have been around gyms and sports my whole life but the last 6 months have been very lazy (and I've gained about 10 lbs. tp show for it.) I will attribute that to my 2 month old daughter, but honestly I'm the one to blame. I've never been a heavy lifter, playing soccer for 12 years helps the legs but not so much the upper body. I'm hoping to burn some fat and improve my heavy lifts, while keeping my cardio up.

Well that's about it for now. I will see you guys tomorrow morning! Have an awesome day.

Stay fit!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Tim Alford

Profile:
Re: Tim's Life Changing Workout Log

My goals for this year are:

Set PR's for all major lifts, deadlift, snatch, squat, ect. (Shouldn't be hard, especially the lifts I'm unfamiliar with).

Be able to do WODs as RX'd by the end of the year. (Long way to go on most upper body lifts).

Get my times for the benchmark girls and hero WOD's to compare with as I progress.

Lastly, and most importantly, fix my current diet. I went 22 years of eating out twice a day to just recently watching what I put in my body. I haven't decided if I want to try Paleo or the Zones yet but I have started to track my eating so help me realize what I'm doing to my body!

Stay fit!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Tim Alford

Profile:

Day one is in the books! Coach Ryan started me off with a simple little benchmark today.

AMRAP
20 minutes

5 ring rows
10 push ups
15 air squats

I finished 12 rounds + 5

Overall I was happy with the workout. Years of soccer haven't helped the push-ups so I struggled there big time. Super sore and ready for more!

Stay fit!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Tim Alford

Profile:

I told my coach I'd see him on Wednesday. He replied "I think you're going to be more sore than you realize." Needless to say, I was unable to go to the gym yesterday due to a ridiculous amount of soreness!

Today's Wod

AMRAP

18 minutes

5 wall ball burpees (18 lbs.)
10 Crossfit kettlebell swings (30 lbs.)
5 pull ups
200 meter run

Finished: 6 rounds + 5 wall ball burpees

First time doing wall balls and kettlebells. I loved the wall balls....not so much for the kettlebells. I was struggling to "use my hips" while throwing the weight around. I wanted to muscle it up with my shoulders and then squat down instead of use my hips and bend over the weight on the way down. It took some getting used to. Had to do jumping pull ups for the last 15 because I was shot. The running should have been the easiest part for me but it was shocking how much the burpees and kettlebell swings could take out of your legs!

Feel great afterwards, I can tell I'll be sore tomorrow but I'm loving these workouts so far! Once I get accustomed to the Crossfit "routine" I can't wait to get into the Oly lifts, but for now I'm trying to survive the daily WODs!

Stay fit!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Tim Alford

Profile:

Oh. My. Gosh.

Decided to go in today since I won't be able to go in on Saturday or Sunday. I'm a little sore from yesterday and my chest still hurts from Tuesday's workout!

Warm up:

2 rounds

50 walking lunges
20 kettlebell swings
10 pushups

(only did one set of the push ups)

WOD:

21-15-9

Clean and Jerks
T2B

First time doing either of these exercises. OUCH. The Cleans were crazy hard for me, I did about 30 reps with the bar just to try and figure out the hips and elbow portion. My body kept wanting to curl the weight so I had to fight that instinct. The toes to bar were pretty crazy too, I modified that to knees to elbows. It is amazing how un-flexible I am! I also did the clean and jerks at 75 lbs. First time doing those exercises I felt wiped out afterwards! Definitely need to improve that form! I ran out of time and had to go to work so I did my last 9 reps on the C&J at 45 lbs. (just the bar) to speed up the process. Can't wait for next week!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Tim Alford

Profile:

I figure out as I go along which things I'm going to hate for the foreseeable future. One of those things is box jumps! Today's workout was super leg heavy and left me sore and sweaty! (Plus 90 degree hear and 100% humidity help.)

Warm up

2 rounds

30 air squats
50 jump ropes
10 T2B

WOD

2 rounds

1 wall run (200 meters)
40 box jumps
1 wall run
40 Goblet squats (35 lb. kettle bell)
1 wall run
40 AB mat sit-ups
1 wall run
40 kettle bell swings (35 lbs.)

Well this destroyed me. Completed the warm up and the first round then on the second round I did the box jumps (half step ups) and the AB mat sit-ups then hurried off to work. I need to get there a little earlier to make sure I stretch properly and cool down properly!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Tim Alford

Profile:

Well today was stupid hard for me but I still loved it.

Warm up
2 rounds

100 meter run
25 kettle bell swings

WOD

100 pull ups
100 push-ups
100 AB mat sit-ups
100 air squats.

Pull ups with a band and push-ups were ugly by the end! Had to do then straight so that made it even tougher. Abs were sore from yesterday. Only did 50 air squats because of time restraints! Whew!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Tim Alford

Profile:

Tabata. Oh curse you, Tabata. First time doing one today and I hated it! But I can already feel it working so that's good.

Warm up
2 rounds

20 kettle bell swings
10 push-ups
200 meter run

Tabata
5 rounds

30 seconds on 30 seconds off

Kettle bell swings (88 lbs.!!) keeping it low and using the hips
L-Sits
Ropes (one in each hand slamming them down)
V-in sit up (push-up position, bring butt up and slide feet in on rollers)
Under the fence (dive bomber) push-ups

OUCH!! I couldn't do L-sits at all so I held my knees up and modified it. Everything else was RX'd. That was a rough one.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Tim Alford

Profile:

Well after taking yesterday off (and playing 18 holes yesterday) I came in this morning and was happy to see today's workout.

Warm up

2 rounds

10 KB Taters (35 lbs.) = Kettlebell swing and then catch the kettlebell upside down and go into a squat
200 meter run
10 AB mat situps
1 wall walk (pushup position then back up against the wall and walk all the way up.)

21-15-9

Deadlifts (225)
HSPU

I've always been terrible at deadlifts, I can literally do just the 45 lbs bar and be sore, so I went light (95 lbs.) and worked with Ryan on my form. I have a tendency to push the bar away from me as I go down so I worked on touching my shins with the bar throughout the movement and that helped alot. Theo ther reason I was happy with this workout was because I have never done a HSPU in my life! I've never even attempted it. I was actually nervous to jump up there and I did a few but you could tell doing 21-15-9 was not going to work. I modified the movement to a pushup followed by kicking my legs up and against the wall then back down to another pushup. That worked my shoulders pretty hard so that was nice. I'm excited to be back tomorrow!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Tim Alford

Profile:

Today's workout was pretty tough on my legs (after yesterday's deadlifts!) so I was pretty disappointed with how it went but I can only get better.

Warm up

3 rounds

100 jump ropes
25 AB mat situps

WOD
AMRAP 15 minutes

10 Wall Ball 2 for 1's (16 lbs.)
20 Crossfit kettlebell swings (35 lbs.)
100 meter run

I (think) I only finished 3 rounds + 10 + 20. I didn't complete the last run, but I was so out of it I may have done 4 rounds. My legs were hurting from yesterday's workout so the kettlebell swings did me in! Those are the death of me! It was kinda nice because somehow I was the only one there so I was able to focus entirely on me without looking around to check on other people or get out of the way! Probably not going to make it back in for a little while since I have to work Fri and Sat so we will see!