CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Reuben Bakker

Profile:
Talking 1 Month In....

Well it's probably time that I jump in here and say hello. I started CrossFit at CrossFit Rock Hill on 8/1/2013. I'm 32, 6', and was about 240lbs when I started (and no, I'm not big boned )

I'm now hanging around the 231-234lb mark. I feel like I should have lost more - but I also feel like I've gained quite a bit of muscle. I'm not going to stress over the number... but I feel like I really should be down in the low 180's - hoping CrossFit will get me there. I know that's only part of it though, and I probably need the most help with nutrition. I've been somewhat careful about what I'm eating, but definitely not paying as much attention to it as I should.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi - hopefully I'll continue to learn a lot from this place, get encouragement when I need it, and give it when necessary. The coaches and community at my box so far have been fantastic. I'm learning a ton about my body and how out of shape I am - also learning the mechanics of certain movements, and it's a pretty amazing feeling when you finally get the technique right and feel the difference.

to everyone who has contributed helpful advice on here and I'm sure I'll be around posting about my experiences.

PS. We did "Holleyman" yesterday and I just about
Old 08-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
John L Hill

Profile:
Re: 1 Month In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben Bakker View Post
Well it's probably time that I jump in here and say hello. I started CrossFit at CrossFit Rock Hill on 8/1/2013. I'm 32, 6', and was about 240lbs when I started (and no, I'm not big boned )

I'm now hanging around the 231-234lb mark. I feel like I should have lost more - but I also feel like I've gained quite a bit of muscle. I'm not going to stress over the number... but I feel like I really should be down in the low 180's - hoping CrossFit will get me there. I know that's only part of it though, and I probably need the most help with nutrition. I've been somewhat careful about what I'm eating, but definitely not paying as much attention to it as I should.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi - hopefully I'll continue to learn a lot from this place, get encouragement when I need it, and give it when necessary. The coaches and community at my box so far have been fantastic. I'm learning a ton about my body and how out of shape I am - also learning the mechanics of certain movements, and it's a pretty amazing feeling when you finally get the technique right and feel the difference.

to everyone who has contributed helpful advice on here and I'm sure I'll be around posting about my experiences.

PS. We did "Holleyman" yesterday and I just about
Welcome Reuben,

Enjoy all workouts, well try to...........it will be interesting to see how much weight you do lose.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Tonya Martin

Profile:

CONGRATS!!! Keep up the Great Work!!

http://www.tonyascrossfitjourney.com/
Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
John H Curtis

Profile:

Welcome Reuben!

I'm there with you in needing to lose fat, and nutrition is key for that. I'm doing a Whole Life Challenge with my box soon - that might be something to look into if you are looking for some community support around your journey through this.

Just remember to be patient and diligent - I feel like I should be lighter than I am too, and I'll get there - I just have to remind myself that actions yield results, and the key action that I think we have in common is addressing the nutrition aspect. The workouts you are doing in combo with a good diet may also from time to time make the scale as a measurement tool alone a little bit funky - measurements are great for a second way to guage progress. If you don't lose weight one week, but you lose an inch off your hips and your pants feel looser, you'll know that you are getting results even though the scale may have remained neutral.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
John Schumm

Profile:

Congrats Reuben, CF is a great program and has a great community. Losing weight will come but you are correct a great eating plan is crucial. I have eaten Paleo for about the past 6 months and lost almost 11 lbs (from 200 to 189, I am 5'8"). I have found that having a good plan on what you are going to eat throughout the week helps to improve and ensure you are on the correct path to eating healthy. I try to keep almonds and seeds on my desk while at work in case I need a healthy snack (between eating my fruits and vegetables throughout the day). I also try to plan my evening meals on Sunday night so I know what I am having each day and can pull all the stuff together the nigth before so I am not getting home to something that is still frozen. Finding I have to tighten my belt up a notch or two and maintaining the same weight helps motivate me toward my goals also (knowing I am losing fat and gaining muscle).

Great job and kep up the wonderful journey.

John
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Eat well, healthy snack often, and grocery shop and prepare meals!

If you're eating plenty of healthy foods, you have no temptation to grab that snickers bar

Also, don't worry about the scale mate, just focus on your workouts, getting better, eating well, getting enough sleep, and keep stress levels low... fine tune down the road... hit the big bases first.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I missed going to the box over labor day weekend. I was bitten by what I think was a spider while I was mowing the lawn... which completely wiped me out on Monday Oh well - I did get in a good hike with the kiddos and the dogs Sunday afternoon which was nice - and I could definitely feel a difference in my endurance from the last time we hiked.

As for the diet - I think planning ahead is going to be key for me. I tend to find myself hungry but without good food accessible - then I either don't eat enough or I don't eat the right things... I've heard it said that you need to always make sure you have plenty of healthy food to eat - and I can say that's definitely key.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crowders_zps467526ee.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	12768  
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

congrats on your success. i agree getting your diet right is key. just a quick note about your weight loss thus far. first, it is not possible that you have gained much muscle in only a month, especially if losing alot of weight. second, you should not have lost more. losing one pound a week is great progress so be happy with it and don't knock it. losing more than two pounds a week likely will mean you are losing too fat and probably losing muscle. be happy with progress and don't get in a rush. be patient and do it right. if you lose 6 to 9 pounds in a month you should always be excited and never say you should have lost more. third, it is unlikely that you will need or want to get down to 180 at 6'. honestly the best thing you could do would be to not worry about the weight on the scale at all. track performance, track bodyfat percentage, look in the mirror, and use a tape measure. if you get strong and fast you will look like a guy that is strong and fast.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

A little update for the new year. I've been going to CFRH 4-5x a week, with a few days missed here and there. I took all of last week off since I was on vacation, but I still managed to squeeze in a couple runs/workouts at the hotel.

In my avatar pic I'm 240+. This morning I was 213. Getting close to the 200lb mark, which I'm very excited about! My first CF baseline workout I struggled to string together 10 pushups. Yesterday we did "Cindy" 20 min AMRAP.

5 Pullups
10 Pushups
15 Air Squats

I used a band on the pullups, but managed 11 rounds with strict pushups the whole time. That's 110 pushups!!! I feel SO much better than I did at this time last year. I still have a lot of weight to lose - I'm shooting for the 170's. Now that the holidays are over, I'm focusing heavily on what I eat. The high today is only 25 and that's not going to keep me from working out. To say CrossFit has motivated me more than anything else I ever tried is a huge understatement. It's been fantastic and I can't wait to go in there every day.

Here's to hitting 199! 14lbs to go...
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Good work, man. Keep it up! We did Cindy a month or so ago. She's a tough one!