CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Sonia Souza

Profile:
Re: 1 Month In....

Congrats and keep it up!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

Competed in my first mountain bike race on Saturday. I hadn't gone for a ride since November (short days and family life keeping me too busy), but I decided to enter anyway just for the fun of it. Well, I didn't come in last and I had a good time. It was a short track race, 30 mins and as many laps of the 1 mile loop as you can get in. I did 5 laps in just over 31 mins. Top guys in my category got in 7 laps, so I have some work to do. All that squatting has definitely made me stronger though and my endurance is up thanks to CF.

Oh and I'm down another 2lbs since my last post. 211 now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WST3_zpsf7051995.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	13136  
Old 01-21-2014, 02:42 AM   #13
Chris Jones

Profile:

Hey Reuben, looks like youve been spending some time on the trails around Charlotte and the winter series races. I mtb in the area when i get the chance, and live near Crowders so shoot me a msg if you want to go for a hike or ride sometime.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

Hey Chris,
Always cool to meet more locals. I'm planning on being at race #2 of the short track series this Sunday. Life has me super busy right now but hopefully as the days get longer I can get in some more riding after work, etc.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:

Awesome job keep it up!!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #16
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

204.6lbs as of Monday. Working hard to be under 200lbs for my birthday on the 26th

Today I will conquer “Ivan The Terrible”

50-40-30-20-10
Lunges
Push Ups
Sit Ups
Double Unders

Feeling better than ever!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #17
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

Reached my goal. Monday morning weigh in = 199.8.

Open Workout 14.4 really kicked my butt yesterday. I had no problem with the rower, and thought I'd get through ttb, wallballs, and see how many cleans I could get in. Turned out I couldn't even get all the way through ttb.

I got through the first 25 ok. 5 at a time, 3 at a time, 2, then 1 at a time... but then my grip and core strength were just gone. I got no repped at least 5 times, toes 6" from touching the bar. Around rep 30 I threw my legs up as hard as I could and my grip failed me right around the time my body was horizontal.

Grazed my elbow on the plyo box I was using to get up on the bar and will have a nice bruise on my left hip, but otherwise fine. Got back up and did 1 at a time (getting no repped a few more times) until I hit 41 ttb as the clock ran out. Was pretty disappointed because I know I could have gone through the wallballs no problem, and I could have gotten in a few cleans, too, if I had time - but I guess that's the whole point of this competition - I definitely found my limits yesterday. If only I had just a bit more strength to get to 50 faster, I would have had had way more reps, but hey, at least I broke 100.

After I got home I decided to try running a 5k, since my coach has convinced me to sign up for one on April 5th. I've never run one before. Ended up with a time of 27:54 (tracked on my phone) - felt pretty good, calves are sore today.

Anyway, that's my update for March, glad I hit my goal weight, and actually think I'm glad I had a tough time with this open workout, it is motivation to improve for next year. I would try it again today but I honestly don't think I have it in me to do 50ttb, I'd probably just fall off the bar again

At least I had my kids there cheering me on (wfs)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...psac36a534.jpg

Next stop - fitter than ever and in the 180's!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #18
Steve Agocs

Profile:

Good job on the weight loss. I started a year ago at about 250-ish, same height as you, 38 years old at the time, and I have probably only lost 10 pounds, although I have put on a TON of muscle, so the scale is definitely not the full story. I was going to recommend you read my blog, CrossFit4FatGuys, but you don't need it anymore!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
Reuben Bakker

Profile:
Talking Re: 1 YEAR In....

I guess the title of this thread could be changed to 1 YEAR in now, since August 1st marked my 1 year CrossFitversary!

It's been one crazy year, being the first time I've found something fitness related and REALLY stuck with it. I FINALLY realized that the way to get in shape isn't some super diet or insane, short term workout program - it's a chipper. A long term goal that you can work towards each and every day - one WOD at a time.

So how far have I come in 1 year? Well, when I started I had virtually no fitness background, other than I loved the outdoors and being active - but having a desk job and poor eating habits for years meant I was way out of shape and overweight. My baseline workout I couldn't do 1 pullup, and 10 pushups was honestly pretty hard for me to do. Of course when you're 240+ and sedentary that's to be expected.

I've been going to CrossFit 5 days a week most weeks. I've missed a few days here and there. My diet certainly hasn't been perfect, but it's absolutely sustainable. You start to really care about what you put in your body when you work that hard to lose weight and get in shape. Oh yeah, I'm down to about 185 now, too.

Funny, I've definitely come a LONG way, but I still feel like I have SO far to go. I can do most of the workouts RX now, but when I do I still finish back towards the back, but my goals are shifting from just getting in shape to improving my weights, times, form, etc. And that's what I love about crossfit - there's no limit to how far you can take it. I love that in my mind I'm not done. I know I'll never be DONE. CrossFit is a way of life for me now and it feels freakin great.

For those of you who might be interested, I made a video about my CrossFit journey and even included a bit of footage from "Fight Gone Bad" last week. It's about CrossFit and motorcycles (relates to my job), but if you have 25 mins to kill... here you go:

(wfs) http://youtu.be/Aj3P852lIts
Old 08-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #20
Beth Hogan

Profile:

Awesome job, congrats!