CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
Nate Raleigh

Profile:
new guy looking for advice..

Hey what's up guys and gals. I've been back in the gym for about 2 months now after a long hiatus. Been doin mostly light weightlifting to get back in the swing of things. My girlfriend told me about cross fit and after lookin in to it, that's definitely the direction I want to take. I was looking at a lot of the different exercises and I noticed my flexibility is not what it should be, for example, in the overhead squat I can't crouch into full squat, keeping my feet flat and arms straight overhead. What would you guys recommend to get me where I need to be, flexibility-wise? The nearest cross fit gym to me is about an hour drive so that's not really an option right now. Thanks in advance! Oh also I'm 31yo, 230 lbs about 5'11 if that helps at all.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Miles Roberts

Profile:
Re: new guy looking for advice..

hah. I did OHS this morning. I'm a beginner too, about your size and age, just a little thinner. Coach had me put 5 lb plates under my heels so I would be stable and still be able to push through my heels. She said its really just a matter of time, practice, getting comfortable with the movement, and increasing strength and flexibility.

To parrot what several people told me (on here and trainers at a few local boxes)... the best way to get good at CrossFit and the movements is just to get started. After just two weeks, I'm MUCH more comfortable with all the oly movements than I was after doing them for 3-4 months on my own (in anticipation of starting CF). Squats, DL, and clean especially.

Oddly, the thing I found most difficult about the OHS was my wrists. Coach was having me use a snatch (WIDE) grip and it was just too much. I went quite a bit narrower on my own after the first couple sets, and it was much more comfortable.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Ronda Duran

Profile:

I completely agree with Miles. The best way is to just keep doing the movements. Make sure that you don't do too much weight (since your form may not be spot on--you want to make sure that you don't hurt yourself). I'm sure you're able to do quite a bit of weight, but trying lightening it up some and keep practicing the movements. Practice with PVC even. The more you do the movement, the more muscle memory is formed.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Steve Agocs

Profile:

Google "mobilitywod ankle" and then watch most of the vids that show up. Poor ankle dorsiflexion (which is the range of motion wherein you are pulling the top of your foot up, as opposed to plantar flexion, which is pointing your foot downward like standing on your tippytoes) is a common, COMMON problem and it just takes work to get those joints loosened up again to allow for good squatting.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Nate Raleigh

Profile:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I just got home from the gym and using a lat bar for practice, watchin my form in a mirror, I already feel much more comfortable with the movements. Still gonna take it eAsy with weight for a while. And I'll definitely check out those vids.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Nate, Kelly Starett has great mobility work. Got to this ling and look in the episodes, you need it he has covered it and it is simple exercises and simply put. WFS http://www.mobilitywod.com/
Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Nate Raleigh

Profile:

Very cool guys, thanks for all the help. Its crazy to realize exactly how un-flexible you can be. Haha. Another thing I was wondering about, how do you guys generally structure a workout? Warm-up, WOD, then cardio, etc? Most of my gym experience has been with weightlifting. I.e., Monday is chest/ tris, Wednesday is back/biceps, etc. I've been doin warm ups followed by a few random exercises, then some cardio so far.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Miles Roberts

Profile:

My classes, and I think many others, are structured as such:

warm-up (cardio of some kind - jogging, rowing, etc) till you sweat

Some stretching, usually geared toward the "skill" of the day i.e. the last time I did OHS, there was a lot of shoulder stretching.

The "skill" of the day. Usually one specific movement, starting at low weight, and progressing till the athlete is starting to struggle.

WOD.

Cashout - an optional extra exercise. Today mine was 50 air squats for time. I was already soaked in sweat after the WOD so I skipped it.

Then cool down/stretch how you want.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Nate Raleigh

Profile:

Very cool guys, thanks for all the help. Its crazy to realize exactly how un-flexible you can be. Haha. Another thing I was wondering about, how do you guys generally structure a workout? Warm-up, WOD, then cardio, etc? Most of my gym experience has been with weightlifting. I.e., Monday is chest/ tris, Wednesday is back/biceps, etc. I've been doin warm ups followed by a few random exercises, then some cardio so far.