CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
hitting a wall

i've been doing crossfit now for over a year and have been very pleased with the results, but i've recently been hitting a plateau and could do with some advice on how to get past it.

31years young
5'9
183-6lbs (i've been around this weight for over a year)

stats -
strict pull ups 7-8
Clean185lb, with jerk its only about 125
squat (full ROM) 275lb 1RM
press - 95-105
bench - 195 1RM
deadlift 295/305 ish

diet -
lots of meat and veg, but not paleo and no where near decent, i'm already working on this.
protein shake after each workout. pre-workout drink.

training cycle -
monday - thursday - powerlifting style focusing on big lifts and oly lifts, sometimes supplementing supporting work around weak joints (e.g. front raise, lat raise for weak shoulders// leg curls for hemstrings)
usually followed on odd days with a crossfit-style WOD of some sort.
1-2 hours.

rest day on friday, occasionally thursday

saturday -
Crossfit - 1-2 hours including 1 WOD.

Sunday -
oly lifting class 2 hours

i'm unable to change my workout routine too much as my work means that it's very unpredictable when my next workout can be, so i end up going as much as i can, as frequently as i can, incase the next day i can't go for a week or more.

my work hours typically limit me to working out around 7-8pm, meaning i don't eat dinner till around 9/10pm and i sleep around 12pm getting up at 7am (8am if i'm lucky)
Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Re: hitting a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
i've been doing crossfit now for over a year and have been very pleased with the results, but i've recently been hitting a plateau and could do with some advice on how to get past it.

31years young
5'9
183-6lbs (i've been around this weight for over a year)

stats -
strict pull ups 7-8
Clean185lb, with jerk its only about 125
squat (full ROM) 275lb 1RM
press - 95-105
bench - 195 1RM
deadlift 295/305 ish

diet -
lots of meat and veg, but not paleo and no where near decent, i'm already working on this.
protein shake after each workout. pre-workout drink.

training cycle -
monday - thursday - powerlifting style focusing on big lifts and oly lifts, sometimes supplementing supporting work around weak joints (e.g. front raise, lat raise for weak shoulders// leg curls for hemstrings)
usually followed on odd days with a crossfit-style WOD of some sort.
1-2 hours.

rest day on friday, occasionally thursday

saturday -
Crossfit - 1-2 hours including 1 WOD.

Sunday -
oly lifting class 2 hours

i'm unable to change my workout routine too much as my work means that it's very unpredictable when my next workout can be, so i end up going as much as i can, as frequently as i can, incase the next day i can't go for a week or more.

my work hours typically limit me to working out around 7-8pm, meaning i don't eat dinner till around 9/10pm and i sleep around 12pm getting up at 7am (8am if i'm lucky)
When you say hit a plateau, do you mean strength wise? Based on your existing strength numbers you've got a lot of room to grow there. Are you following an actual program or mixing programs together or just doing your own thing? You've got a ton of room for improvement so either you're overworking or you need to get on an actual linear progression type program and just stick to that.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Hi Dustin,

yes, i'm most focus on strength, it seems to be limiting everything else at the moment, i can't do a single WOD at Rx, but at lighter weights i seem to cope e.g. DT @ 95lb i finished in a respectable 11minutes, i doubt i'd have finished at all at Rx'd.

i was previously using 5x5 but stopped after i hit around 255 on squat, not sure why. i also did 1 cycle of 5/3/1 (and i read about 8/6/3 but haven't tried it yet). in summary, i've got 0 programming at this stage, my training broadly consists of 5x5 trying to increase the weight each set.

usually i'll do something like -
day 1 squat; deadlift; shoulder press; assistance work; WOD
day 2 squat; bench; Cleans; snatches; assistance work
day 3 squat; pullups; back rows; assistance work; WOD

or something to that effect...writing it down, i now see it's actually pretty crap.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I would lean toward you are doing way too much different stuff.

If you really want to focus on strength, drop the MetCons.

Squat three times a week is fine, but not three days in a row.

Take another rest day. "As frequently as you can" doesn't work in any situation, really. I understand the frustration of missing chunks of time, but trying to cram two weeks into one is a recipe for disaster eventually.

Now that you can see your programming is leaning on the side of scattershot, find something you like and can stick to (probably a linear progression at this point I'd guess), reset your lifts (I'd say ~75-80% of 1RM if you are doing a program of sets of 5) and work from there.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I'm addition to some program changes with more rest, I think you need to consider whether you get enough sleep. Working long hours is stress on your body, like you are doing extra workouts. You need rest days and probably more sleep. Nighttime and naps is when your body releases most human growth hormone.

Can you work in an extra hour sleep at night and get a half hour nap some days during he day?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'll agree with too much going on. I use this very simple template for my strength focused members:

Monday: Lift + short carefully chosen met-con
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Lift + short carefully chosen met-con
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Lift + short carefully chosen met-con
Saturday: Longer and/or heavier met-con
Sunday:Rest

The short care full met-con keep a eye on recovery so we wouldn't do "Angie" where you are doing 100 reps of something in a row but we might do:
10 rounds for time of
10 pull-ups, 10 push ups, 10 sit-ups and 10 squats.

The 10 rounds even though it is the same total about of work is much easier on the body then 100 in a row.

What ever you choose getting you overhead shoulder strength up should be a top priority. I ran Smolov Jr press one cycle and it worked well to kick start my press. My shoulders responded well to the volume.

Last edited by Brendan McNamar : 11-05-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Already some good advice here.

One thing I would add is ''rest'' doesn't mean just lay around like a slob. Go for an hour walk, or do some light hiking, maybe some light yoga/mobility. Always good to get the blood flowing on 'off' days and not just sit around.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

thanks for all the constructive replies, its all really appreciated.

Seems like more rest is the consistent piece of advice, so i'll follow Brendens' suggestion of -
Day 1 Lift + short carefully chosen met-con
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 Lift + short carefully chosen met-con
Day 4 Rest
Day 5Lift + short carefully chosen met-con
Day 6 Longer and/or heavier met-con
Day 7 Rest

if its not too much trouble, ive got two final questions -

1. shoulders, Brenden, you mentioned overhead shoulder strength to be a top priority - whats the rational, and any suggestions for how to do this?

2. given the above format, any thoughts on reverting to 5x5 for the lift component? adding oly lifting to that mix. - is there something better that i should follow?

thanks again for all the advice!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
1. shoulders, Brenden, you mentioned overhead shoulder strength to be a top priority - whats the rational, and any suggestions for how to do this?
You press 105 at a body weight of 185. About 56% of your body weight. Would like to see that number between 75% and 100% of body weight. 100% is tough if your CrossFitting not just power lifting. Will make a lot of met-cons with barbells easier.

Quote:
2. given the above format, any thoughts on reverting to 5x5 for the lift component? adding oly lifting to that mix. - is there something better that i should follow?
Oly lifting I would separate into skill days and heavy days. I would do one of each a week. Skill days can be done before lifting. Things like 5x5 squat snatch touch and go at 60% of 1 RM on the minute (OTM). This is designed for improving the skills a CrossFitter needs, not for trying to do well in a weightlifting meet. I would do the heavy day on Saturday. This will mean your not super fresh for it but you will benefit the most from the linear progression power lifting for now.

If you are progressing on 5x5 then use it. Whatever you choose modify it so you press twice for every time you bench.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

thanks! really appreciate the advice!