CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Alvin Borja

Profile:
Following a W.O.D.

Hi everyone. I am new to CrossFit and would like to tell you how exited I am to get started. I have always worked out independently having just some basic equipment. Being ignorant, hard headed (and maybe a little egotistical) I believed that what I was doing on my own was just as good or better than most other workouts. I simply adopted all the exercises that I (liked) from other sources, (ie. YouTube, classes, etc.) and created my own W.O.D.

First, I have to admit, even though I first heard of CrossFit about 4 years ago, I did not understand its concept. I checked out the website and was confused about what W.O.D.'s were. I have seen YouTube videos and yet still had no idea what the big deal was. I mean, here I was, on my own, achieving goals, and getting results as well as being an instructor...why change ANYTHING, right?

Well, this past summer the unexpected happened. I was hospitalized and the doc's say it will take quite a while to get back to where I was regarding my fitness level. While recovering I spent a lot of my time researching and educating myself on fitness. I am now healthy enough to begin physical activity again, but obviously not where I want to be.

Enter CrossFit...during my research I returned to the CrossFit website and learned so much more than I did initially. I learned that it is a community committed to improving their fitness and committed to helping others achieve their goals. I have discovered that CrossFit is about challenge and dedication to the entire fitness community in helping everyone live a healthy and fit lifestyle. More importantly, I found out that CrossFit is indeed a revolution in fitness. So, please forgive me, crossfitters, for my initial ignorance.

I also apologize for this long post, however, it leads me to my first question. I would like to follow a W.O.D. and start from my home gym. But how does one do so given the variety equequipment. For example, I want to follow an affiliates wod.... I may have all of the equipment I need for two or three of their workouts but have only an Olympic bar for the next days workout.... any thoughts? Thank you. And again I apologize for this long post but thank you for reading.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Following a W.O.D.

1) follow the workouts a week or two behind so you can plan ahead.

2) you just have to start researching appropriate substitutions until you get good at coming up with them on your own. Searching this board would be a good start. if you can't find an answer just keep asking for subs in this thread and hopefully people will be able to recommend some (i'll try to remember to check back frequently). Anyways a good example would be row 500 meters. Well i don't have a rowing machine, but running is a fairly similar stimulus. And if I know it takes me about 1:20 - 1:30 to row 500m that's about what it takes me to run 400m. So i would sub the 500m row with a 400m run. Another one is wall ball. I don't have a wall nor a ball. So I would probably just sub for BB thrusters for that.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Michael Pollak

Profile:

Great to have you on board!!!! First off, your attitude is great and you should do very well.... One thing that I have found that working out myself as opposed to at an affiliate is, I cater to my own strengths and tend to ignore my weeknesses....

The best thing that has come out of crossfit for me is that nobody lets me get away with anything... That includes, form,intensity,humility... Especially when it comes to the very technical OLY lifts, if you have never preformed them before, you will more than likely want to get some coaching before attempting on your own. You can really jack yourself up doing them wrong

Anyway I'm talking about me and sharing my experience.. My only advice would be to try an affiliate for a few months before striking out on your own... For me I found out how weak I was in a lot of areas and how much correction I needed

Best of luck and great health!!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Brian Diez

Profile:

The truth of the matter is you can substitute any exercise with another similar movement and get just as good a workout, if not better.

You don't have a barbell or bumpers? Cool. Try "D.T." with dumbbells. It sucks (in a good way).

You don't have a rower? Try "Christine" with kettlebell swings instead of rowing.

Check the main site for substitution ideas in the FAQ area.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Brian Diez

Profile:

shoot. I posted twice and can't delete. sorry guys.

Last edited by Brian Diez : 11-07-2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: error posting twice
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
robin finlayson

Profile:

alot of boxes post their WODs on line and have them scaled (low med hi) for just such reasons. I use to follow the site WOD all the time but the last 2 years I have been going to sites where they combine strength and daily WODS. another idea try looking at the CF football site. its pretty good as well
Old 11-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Alvin Borja

Profile:

You guys RULE!

Thank you all for the advice. It is much appreciated. I have been making up my own wod for now until I can get familiar with the names of exercises. Is there a discription of the exercise or somekind of "CrossFit Dictionary" for lack of better terms, that describe the exercises? I have looked around the site...Didn't see anything other than videos from the main page. It would be great if I had something to take to the gym with me as I follow a certain WOD. Maybe even something to tape on a wall in the gym?

Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

For some reason this link is blocked on this dumb computer, but give this a shot.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/exercise.html