CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Steve Wolfe

Profile:
Decent progress?

Starting stats: 44yo, 6' tall, originally started at 248lbs @ estimated 33-35% BF. Got myself down to 240 by eating 75-80% Paleo. Once I hit 240, I joined a box going 2x per week and have been going for 1 month so far. My first goal is to hit 225lbs @ approx 25-28% BF. But honestly, I don't know if that's realistic in terms of weight vs BF%? I'm trying very hard not to obsess over the number on the scale.

October 8: 240lbs
45.75" waist (around navel)
46" chest (around nipples)
24" thigh
14.75" arm

November 8: 236lbs
44.5 Waist
44.5 Chest
24.5 Thigh
14.5 Arm
17.12 Neck (didn't measure start stat...is it necessary to use this measurement?)

I guess my question is, is this considered good progress? Given the comparison numbers from Oct to Nov, is it too fast, too slow?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Decent progress?

Looks good, steady slower progress is better then fast. The big question to me is how are you feeling. How are you feeling during the workouts?Are you still holding energy to preform well in the workouts? If yes and you are still dropping weight I say you are solid.

Oh and I am 46yo, but alot shorter 5foot 6 in, up to 175lbs now.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Phil Washlow

Profile:

That looks like good progress to me. Couple pieces of advice, try to keep that 20-25% gluten free, other than that nutritionally don't obsess. In terms of your goal of losing weight I would really try to focus on performance goals, of course you want to lean out and such but when the scale doesn't go down for a couple weeks for whatever reason (weight loss can be quite complicated and finnicky) you don't want that to negatively impact you in any way. A lot of times getting through those sticking points really just takes time and not obsessing over them. Eat clean, go hard and have fun!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Steve Wolfe

Profile:

Nik, I feel pretty good during workouts but I'm sure there's ways to make it better. If for some reason I did have more energy during a workout, I could look back and say "ahh, I ate this prior and had more energy" and repeat that. I might play around with some foods and hour or more before workouts and see what happens. I do know however, that I have more energy throughout the day since I started this journey. Don't feel as sluggish.

Thanks Phil. During this past month, I think I stepped on the scale 4 times and the first 2 wasn't much improvement. Told myself that although it didn't drop but a couple pounds, whatever, because I went 2 new notches in on my belt and "felt" less fat when I pinched skin in certain areas. I'm working hard at being nonchalant when looking at the scale number.