CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Bennett Stiller

Profile:
Kipping Pull up help with 3 middle fingers missing

I was born with an index, middle, or ring finger on my left hand, right hand is normal. I wrap my thumb and pinky around things to grab them.

I can do 6 strict pull ups without help, but at 200lbs, my left pinky is allowing me to lift almost 100lbs by itself and it feels like I'm slipping the whole time with just 1 finger there for grip. I can do a 95lb squat clean over and over with no strap or hook, but that's about the limit of my left hand. By 145lb squat clean, there is no way without a strap on my left hand.

Here is a picture of some generic hooks like I have:
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...psd4e5b2cd.jpg

I never use hooks or straps on my right side, grip is not a problem. I am new to Crossfit, but I've been doing P90X for a bit. When doing a deadlift, as well as a strict pull up, I use the hooks above (again, only on my left hand).

Using a hook, I can do about 140 strict pull ups during one of the 40min P90X workouts, doing about 25 strict pull ups the first round. Now that I'm finished with my P90X and starting cross fit, I'd like some feedback on how to adjust with my physical disability.

A trainer was starting to go over the kipping motion with me so I can get the technique right for kipping pull ups, however my current generic hook started getting the material (that makes contact with the bar under the hook) all torn up. I guess I'm used to using a padded bar with no swinging motion. The textured all metal bar doesn't mesh well with the cloth once I start moving.

I'm sort of a unique situation because of my physical limitations, so when I google information about this, most of what I find is people arguing why you should or shouldn't use straps or hooks. If I had all my fingers, grip would be no problem, so I wouldn't use anything, just my personal preference.

I read a few times today that I can strengthen grip by just hanging from a pull up bar 60+ seconds, so I think I'll start doing that anyways, but I want to know what options there are for me to do kipping pull ups now. Are there hooks with a design that allows kipping without tearing up?

Last edited by Bennett Stiller : 12-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Bennett Stiller

Profile:
Re: Kipping Pull up help with 3 middle fingers missing

These forum tools are lacking. I realized that I forgot the word "OUT" in the beginning, "I was born with OUT my index, middle, and ring fingers".

I should be able to just edit the post to correct, but after 2 hours, the "edit" button is gone.

Admin, please message me what I should do next time. You can delete this post, I'm going to repost with the correction.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Many gymnasts are often taught many bar skills, including bar giants in straps.

Google gymnastics bar straps or the leather kind that use velcro. Both actually attach to a piece of pvc that surrounds the bar.

I dunno about other material based "hooks" but have you tried weightlifting straps? I know occasionally the other weightlifters will use them for leg lifts or pullups if their hands are chewed up after lifting.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Kerry Kubla

Profile:

I would try plain old leather lifting straps. You slide your wrist through them and wrap them a couple times around the bar. You will then grip the bar that is wrapped with the strap. Benefit of them is you are still required to use your hand grip to hold on but when you start to lose your grip they should slip off the bar and release for you.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Mike Carter

Profile:

Some that I have used for lifting and pull-ups are these:

http://versagripps.com/ (WFS)

I use the pro model

I have also used these with good success:

http://www.gnc.com/pwr/product-revie...nce-Grips.html

I ordered the versa grips from the web site and ther lynx from BBdot com

The versa allow them to be used for pulling and pushing movements depending on how you wrap them. Instructions included.

For the record killing that many pullupas in a session is pretty much kicking butt. Don't think you even need to kip!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Bennett Stiller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Kubla View Post
I would try plain old leather lifting straps. You slide your wrist through them and wrap them a couple times around the bar. You will then grip the bar that is wrapped with the strap. Benefit of them is you are still required to use your hand grip to hold on but when you start to lose your grip they should slip off the bar and release for you.
Well, I do have these lifting straps, but they aren't leather. Would the leather be about the same for me?
http://images.citysports.com/f/726/2.../104249_md.jpg

I use these currently (left hand only) for heavier squat cleans and things where I need to bend my wrists that my generic hooks will not allow for.

At home messing around, I tried using the strap for strict pull up but it takes a minute to get the strap just right on the bar so my grip doesn't slip, and when I start just doing the shoulder movements for kipping I already feel the strap slipping a little bit.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Bennett Stiller

Profile:

I will post some pictures in a bit showing my current grip and how I use the hook.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Bennett Stiller

Profile:

Here are some pictures and descriptions of what I am working with. I usually wear gloves under the hook, but all the black made it hard to see the pictures. I'm holding a bit of PVC to represent a bar. It was a small pipe, so it's an exceptionally close grip between my hands just for the pictures.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3c&usp=sharing

Honestly, my pinky strength is enough to hold me, if only it wrapped around the bar more. I can lift myself easy grabbing rebar because I can grab all the way around without any hooks or straps.

After looking at the pictures, I can see that my pinky just barely reaches over the top of the bar and does not come down the back side....like trying to use a hook shaped like a curved L instead of a U...That is why I keep slipping bare handed.

If there is a strap that I can latch on quick like using a hook it may be an option, otherwise, I guess I need to find a hook that won't get torn up on a textured metal pull up bar.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

All WFS

http://www.allthingsgym.com/better-h...ifting-straps/

http://www.gymsupply.com/leatherbarstraps.aspx These are awesome, especially for adults. A bit expensive but they are solid and. You should wear thick long wristbands to use these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uRyfzqAhBo You should still have a pair of thick long wristbands so the straps don't cut into your wrists. Maybe not all that necessary for just small kipping pullups.

Those lifting straps are okay but I find using ones made of climbing material is better than that cotton cloth.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Bennett Stiller

Profile:

Okay, so I got a few items in, the Adidas hooks have much better wrist support/padding than the altus hooks, but the Adidas hooks themselves aren't very good.

One product that is working awesome for me is the Versa Grip Pro. Specifically the PRO model, not the regular ones.

Using this on my left only allows me to actually do a hook grip on pull ups and cleans, thus, actually strengthening my grip as I go (instead of how I was pinch gripping the actual hook in the pictures I posted and not the bar).

They are flexible enough to easily let me do squat cleans, where as non-swivel hooks limited me to pull ups and dead lifts only. I did a 1 mile farmers carry (44lb kettle bell each hand) yesterday and only had to set it down 11 times over 16 min. Nothing awesome, but I was seriously impressed with the versa grip allowing my left hand to use a hook grip and work on strength equally as much as my bare right hand was. Both hands needed a break roughly the same time.

Versa Grip Pro also lets me grab the pull up bar tight (and quick, no delay from wrapping a strap) and swing with it. My gym provides powder chalk, and that didn't make the grips slip, it made the grip a lot better when doing lots of reps.

As my hook grip strength gets higher on my left, I hope to do more training outside of a WOD with nothing on my left, but for speed and reps, this works awesome. In testing, I could deadlift 285lbs several times before my left started slipping. 285lbs is only 1.5x my body weight, so nothing huge compared to you other cross fitters I see, but it's more than last week so I'm happy. I don't know the guy's weight, but another gym in town has a guy deadlift just short of 600lbs...I'll never have an ambition to try that, nor do I think these grips would handle it without stressing my wrist out.

I appreciate the feedback, I will probably just keep doing strict pull ups, but now it's not because I have no other choice, it's because that's what I choose.