CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Rob Crotty

Profile:
Transitioning from PL to CF

So, like the title says, I am transitioning from competitive powerlifting in to Crossfit... I am healing up a nasty Bursitis flare up in my rt shoulder, and still recovering from semi-major foot surgery on my right foot...

other than that.....i mostly lift at home, because i have a TON of equipment in my basement... (5 full length barbells, 1200 lbs in plates, chains, bands, boxes for squats, squat rack, bench, dbs from 5-60 lbs..)
Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: Transitioning from PL to CF

hows about some background on you, like PR's weight, height, fed you lifted in, age, powerlifting age, reasons for change and what your goals are, etc
Old 02-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Drew Watson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
hows about some background on you, like PR's weight, height, fed you lifted in, age, powerlifting age, reasons for change and what your goals are, etc
Im curious this as well and can give some advice.
I recently made the switch as well.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Rob Crotty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
my apologies. I lifted in usapl for a while then just bounced around. Tired of all the politics of it all. I just wanted to lift heavy stuff to lift heavy stuff. After two foot surgeries I'm down to 172 and am 5'9
In comp I hit 1rm on bench of 445 shirted 505 dead and 455 squat. I'm 33yrs old. My goals are to get a lot more mobility and endurance and a better overall physique. I've never really done any cleans/jerks/oly work. So I'll be interested in working that in to my lifting/WOD.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
Drew Watson

Profile:

I 100% agree about the politics, it's a nightmare, with your goals and experience I would suggest joining a box first to learn movements before going on your own in your gym. I immediately thought I would be good at some Xfit workouts and excel and was dead wrong, the workouts are nothing like I ever expended during my pl days and I still get crushed by them regularly.

Good luck
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Crotty View Post
my apologies. I lifted in usapl for a while then just bounced around. Tired of all the politics of it all. I just wanted to lift heavy stuff to lift heavy stuff. After two foot surgeries I'm down to 172 and am 5'9
In comp I hit 1rm on bench of 445 shirted 505 dead and 455 squat. I'm 33yrs old. My goals are to get a lot more mobility and endurance and a better overall physique. I've never really done any cleans/jerks/oly work. So I'll be interested in working that in to my lifting/WOD.
What are some recent lifts RAW of course to see starting point for diving in to crossfit
Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
mike vinson

Profile:

man i did the same thing 2 years ago. after going 1731 @ 198 and 1830 @ 220 its pretty humbling to struggle with a 95# OHS. give it an honest try (months not weeks) and do mobility work EVERY DAY!!!....the whole thing seems weird/random but it really is a life changer on how you feel.