CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Sam Rincon

Profile:
First month in. I have caught the CF FEVER!

I started CF about 4 weeks ago. I'm really into it! I dream about it lol its bad...I go through the lifts in my dreams and I almost fall off the bed because my body tries to catch the weight lol. I'm motivated by the progress and some of the numbers that I've been able to put up in the first month. What I love the most about CF is the all the none physical aspects of it. My entire life I've been a quitter. When things got hard, I thought I failed but in reality I had quit. I'm extremely nonchalant about winning and losing, even if I love to compete and want to win, if I didn't win o well. I don't want that anymore! I want to want more from myself. I want to expect more from myself. CF beats me up and coming back everyday for more helps me build mental and physical strength. I plan to take CF as far as I can and with the goal to compete.

With that said, I would like some advice. If you could go back to the beginning what would you do differently or focus on more or learn about that you wish you would have learned earlier? Thanks in advance for the knowledge that you share with me.

Last edited by Sam Rincon : 03-07-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: It was a little to specific and I would like advice from everyone and anyone willing to share.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: First month in. I have caught the CF FEVER!

It sounds like you have a great attitude and that will go a long way to helping you achieve your goals.

Your story sounds a lot like me when I started. I was just kinda doing things half-assed and it was really laziness that was the problem for me. Once I realized that, I have been able to make my body do things I never thought it could do.

My best advice would be to take your time. Fitness as a lifestyle is a marathon, not a sprint. Take the time to learn all the lifts and movements properly. Don't lift too heavy using bad form or you can injure yourself, and then you are out of the game. Work on mobility. I have trouble with shoulders and ankles and it makes squats (especially overhead squats) difficult for me. For a long time I thought flexibility would just come, but it did not and I have to work on it.

Also, eat clean, take plenty of rest days, get lots of sleep, and have fun!
Old 03-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Dean Lehmkuhler

Profile:

Slow down. Conditioning takes time. Connective tissue cannot strengthen quickly. Enjoy the process but trying to do too much too quickly leads to injury, frustration, burnout, and ultimately quitting altogether.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:

Strength, skill, conditioning...do all three, every day you work out.

When I started I just followed main site which was good, but I could have made many more gains and built a foundation faster had I made sure to focus on all three areas every day.

Like the others have said, take your time and don't try to add weight too fast. Better to do overhead squats with a broomstick, then 45lb bar, then add weight instead of trying to learn highly technical movements under too much weight.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Katy Calcagni

Profile:

I would have ate better instead of crossfitting my first year with a crappy diet.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Sam Rincon

Profile:

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm definitely not trying to go faster than I can. Everyone's limits aren't the same, so I give my all and then I can see what I need to take my time with. Mobility and diet are two major things everyone talks about. I ate mainly vegan last year so now that I've introduced animal proteins back into my diet, I feel like I have a pretty good control of my eating. Its not perfect but its not a major area of concern.

Hey Katy, I see that your from my area. I go to Gardens Crossfit, which affiliate to you go to? If that's too personal, its fine. Thanks again everyone for sharing your knowledge with me.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

Yeah I can relate to you, I'm a pretty laid back guy. Crossfit has pushed me harder then I ever would push myself - and I find I just can't wait to go every day. To work out. Weird. Haha. I've been going about 7 months, had good results so far. Would have been even better if I ate 100% clean and slept well each night (I am a bit of a night owl). Overall I'm happy though, and I feel like I finally "get it" and have made a permanent lifestyle change. Some good advice above too.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
William Garrett

Profile:

Build a good strength base with the major lifts. Seek out your major weakness's, and attack them.

Have goals, both longterm and short-term, and make them quantifiable, and achievable.

Pick a program especially if its strength, and stick with it. Dont bail on it at the 1st sign of a stall or blockage, keep with it. Programs work for a reason, and if its not working for you, chances are its not the program, its you.

Realize this is a marathon, and a constant process of training. Your goals within the Box and outside (life) could change, be ready to accept those, and foster them.

Know that there will be good days, and bad days, and even really bad days. Keep your head up and move on.

Lastly, REST!!! When your tired, physically & mentally just dont go train to train, take some time off.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Garrett View Post
Build a good strength base with the major lifts. Seek out your major weakness's, and attack them.

Have goals, both longterm and short-term, and make them quantifiable, and achievable.

Pick a program especially if its strength, and stick with it. Dont bail on it at the 1st sign of a stall or blockage, keep with it. Programs work for a reason, and if its not working for you, chances are its not the program, its you.

Realize this is a marathon, and a constant process of training. Your goals within the Box and outside (life) could change, be ready to accept those, and foster them.

Know that there will be good days, and bad days, and even really bad days. Keep your head up and move on.

Lastly, REST!!! When your tired, physically & mentally just dont go train to train, take some time off.
these are wise words..take note of them and more importantly act upon them.

Then you will be still enjoying CF in 2 -3 - 6 - 10 years down the track...

Helen
heading for 5 years in august...sheesh and 64years of age..how on earth did that happen?????

Last edited by Helen M Brennan : 03-12-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Sam Rincon

Profile:

Yes, more advice. Nice. William I sent you a private message to ask you about programs, not sure what that means in CF. Please reply, I really would like to know.

Keep the advice coming people, I greatly appreciate it!