CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Tyler Goldberg

Profile:
Crossfit vs. Regular Weight Training

Hi, I am looking into both Crossfit and normal weight training. I was just wondering what distinguishes the two. As in, what kind of people do Crossfit as opposed to regular weights? I'm only 18 and sort of getting a feel for both of them. Thanks for your help and time!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Crossfit vs. Regular Weight Training

What distinguishes Crossfit from "regular weight training" isn't who does it; it's what we do. It's probably not possible (or even worthwhile) to try to characterize "who does Crossfit" vs. "who does regular weight training."

There is a ton of information on Crossfit.com (wfs) and tons of videos on YouTube showing what we do in Crossfit. Your best path is probably to spend some with those sources of information to learn what Crossfit is all about. And if you have a Crossfit box nearby, then drop in and meet the owners/coaches and talk with some of the clients.

- Mark
Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Tyler Goldberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
What distinguishes Crossfit from "regular weight training" isn't who does it; it's what we do. It's probably not possible (or even worthwhile) to try to characterize "who does Crossfit" vs. "who does regular weight training."

There is a ton of information on Crossfit.com (wfs) and tons of videos on YouTube showing what we do in Crossfit. Your best path is probably to spend some with those sources of information to learn what Crossfit is all about. And if you have a Crossfit box nearby, then drop in and meet the owners/coaches and talk with some of the clients.

- Mark
Thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
Alex Burden

Profile:

Normal weights = boby building = good looking body but Hardy no conditioning. Can be very individual and the main goal is to get big. Not many or any natural/clean competitors at the top. Impossible to get big without the juice.

CF = great looking body, Amazing conditioning and so much more. But you are not alone and will never be alone. Very natural/clean sport at the moment as it. has not been infected yet. Plus size is not important, it's how you perform.

Plus there are allt more adjectives i could use om CF but you Will find out yourself.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Brian McGranahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
Normal weights = boby building = good looking body but Hardy no conditioning. Can be very individual and the main goal is to get big. Not many or any natural/clean competitors at the top. Impossible to get big without the juice.

CF = great looking body, Amazing conditioning and so much more. But you are not alone and will never be alone. Very natural/clean sport at the moment as it. has not been infected yet. Plus size is not important, it's how you perform.

Plus there are allt more adjectives i could use om CF but you Will find out yourself.

Please tell me your joking when you state that crossfit is a "clean" sport.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGranahan View Post
The point is irrelevant to the question. Even if *everyone* at the top of the Crossfit world were doing PEDs, that still wouldn't define what Crossfit is and what its differences are from "regular weight training." It shouldn't have even been brought up.

- Mark
Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGranahan View Post
Until proven officially it is clean.

Does it exist.. Of course ... But now that tests are within the sport i am hoping it will keep it clean at the highest level.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Cmon. Don't start up another stupid "Is Crossfit clean?" thread. That's not what the OP was asking about.

- Mark
Old 03-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Tim Alford

Profile:

Lol I love when someone brings up the drug testing policies of Crossfit and/or bashes Crossfit for its use of PEDs (especially when it is their 1st post on Crossfit.com). Anyways.........

To answer the original poster's question. Crossfit is a great workout regiment. Tough, always changing, and will help you get fit. It more than likely won't get you huge (too much cardio and quick exercises for that) but it will get you muscular. Regular weight training was a little boring in my opinion but if you eat right and have a good program you will also get muscular and maybe even big. The only difference in my opinion is that Crossfit allows you to be "fit". This means you can run a 5k, play football, go for a hike or a swim, and then still lift some heavy weights. With regular weight training you can lift some heavy weights....and that is probably it for the most part. Just my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth! I'd give Crossfit a try and see for yourself!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

I only wish there was crossfit when I was 18.
(I know there were people doing similar stuff back then, but it was not mainstream enough for an 18 year old to find in 1981)

It's more about your goals. If you want to get big and body build, learn all you can about that and follow those methods. If you want great general fitness, strength and most likely a decent build, then dive deeper in CF.