CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Crossfit vs. Regular Weight Training

From Experience what would i choose today (as i have trained in the gym for 25+ years and been doing CF for the past couple of years)

Go the Crossfit way.

The variety, challenges, the people around you have nothing to loose and all to gain.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 03-08-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Richard Colon

Profile:

From experience, just don't distinguish, choose sides or anything. They are all just tools to help you reach your goals - whatever they may be. Crossfit has a tendency to help people through a fitness journey and define those goals because Crossfit is sort of all over the place. I mean this in regards to the movements and training methods rather than actual exposure.

Crossfit can help you decide if you want to pursue it specifically (open, regionals, games, etc.), it can expose you to Olympic lifting where you can try and go that route (recent games athlete Aja Barto did this), it can expose you to gymnastics and you might want to go that route. That is what Crossfit is best at. You do a bit of everything and in that, you might find something specific that sticks - or stay the jack of all trades.

As for even trying to speak of one better than the other (I know that isn't your point, but distinguishing also means people take sides) there is nothing to separate. They are tools. If you want to look like Phil Heath, you have my respect and more power to you. The journey is JUST AS DIFFICULT as trying to beat Froning.

Once you start speaking in the "we do this, they do that", you will look like a fool to someone. Powerlifters might think you don't bench enough and might be legit in saying so. Olympic weightlifters may think you do too much high rep stuff and might be legit. He said, she said, blah blah.

just make it happen, define your goals, find the method that will help you get there and crush it. These days, Crossfit is as big and mainstream and the ol' days of Golds Gym used to be (generalization, no specific numbers/data, etc.) Even in the wide beautiful world of all things Crossfit you will have idiots, a$$holes, cheaters, high level athletes on drugs, those not on drugs, winners, champions, hypocrites, amazing people, $hitty coaches, outstanding knowledgeable people and everything in between. That is just how things go.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Mustafa Tahir

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
Normal weights = boby building = good looking body but Hardy no conditioning. Can be very individual and the main goal is to get big. Not many or any natural/clean competitors at the top. Impossible to get big without the juice.

This is way off the mark Alex. Lifting weights doesn't mean you're a bodybuilder, you do know the most conditioned and fittest athletes in the world lift weights, and they're defo not bodybuilders.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #14
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa Tahir View Post
This is way off the mark Alex. Lifting weights doesn't mean you're a bodybuilder, you do know the most conditioned and fittest athletes in the world lift weights, and they're defo not bodybuilders.
Most people that go to the gym go to build muscle, get in shape and look beter, thus more of the body building route not actually realising that thet can do allot more. Go to a globo and how many people do you see training like an athlete. I was once an elite decathlon athlete back in the 80's i can say allot has not changed since then apart from all the new machines with new design and more improved functionality but it is the same mentality doing the same thing over and over again.

Now i am not saying everyone is the same but the majority are stuck in a rutt and just do not think outside the Box as to what They can really do in a globo.

That is Why i Said body building... I never Said everyone is a body builder
Old 03-09-2014, 02:44 AM   #15
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Normal weights = boby building = good looking body but Hardy no conditioning. Can be very individual and the main goal is to get big. Not many or any natural/clean competitors at the top. Impossible to get big without the juice.

CF = great looking body, Amazing conditioning and so much more. But you are not alone and will never be alone. Very natural/clean sport at the moment as it. has not been infected yet. Plus size is not important, it's how you perform.

Plus there are allt more adjectives i could use om CF but you Will find out yourself.
I disagree with a few of your comments.

- normal weights =/= bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is a sport, just because you lift weights doesn't mean you are part of the sport, just because someone does Snatches or power cleans doesn't make them a weightlifter. To be fair "normal weights" is NOTHING like REAL bodybuilding where guys are fairly intelligently choosing exercises for specific purposes, as well as usually hitting the big compounds lifts, normal weights is gym rats doing benches and curls or 1/4 squats because they heard ATG squats are bad for your knees.

- Can you get big clean yes, can you get as big as Phil Heath or Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler NO not clean, but look at guys like Reg Park, Steve Reeves, etc, before PEDs existed they were pretty big dudes. Also if you are interested in Natural bodybuilding there are natural/tested federations/divisions.

- The main goal is not to just get big. The main goal is not just ONE singular goal, goals of bodybuilding are size, symmetry, proportion, definition.

- I also disagree that everyone doing crossfit has a great body, Games athletes (who arguably have the better bodies of crossfit) for example do not JUST do crossfit. You don't get a 500+ DL, 400+ BS, 300+ FS, and 300+ C&J from doing only crossfit. Its been talked about on these very boards many times. A lot of avg joes do crossfit and they look normal, so don't tout crossfit as the magic pill that will make you look like adonis.

Also crossfit = cross training which athletes have been doing for ages, its not exactly NEW, but it is packaged well, in terms of the courses, and motto, and 10 aspects of fitness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa Tahir View Post
Echoing your sentiments.

Quote:
Most people that go to the gym go to build muscle, get in shape and look beter, thus more of the body building route not actually realising that thet can do allot more. Go to a globo and how many people do you see training like an athlete. I was once an elite decathlon athlete back in the 80's i can say allot has not changed since then apart from all the new machines with new design and more improved functionality but it is the same mentality doing the same thing over and over again.

Now i am not saying everyone is the same but the majority are stuck in a rutt and just do not think outside the Box as to what They can really do in a globo.

That is Why i Said body building... I never Said everyone is a body builder
Lets be real a lot of the people who go to gyms are little like sheep they just do whatever X magazine says or whatever some crappy 10$ an hour trainer tells them to do. Most people hop on cardio machines for endless amounts of time. Women being the #1 culprit, women have been force fed this notion that weights are bad, crossfit as well as other things has done a good job in dispelling this and more women are lifting, but still majority of people who go into gyms are not going to gain muscle, they are going there with the express purpose of losing weight, or not getting fat, or getting a six pack. Mainly the younger guys go to put on a little muscle.

Bodybuilding and bodybuilders go together, if you partake in one it makes you the other, just because you lift a dumbbell doesn't make you a bodybuilder, and certainly doesn't mean you do bodybuilding.

To the OP, it really depends what your interests and budget are, as well as what your local resources are. If there are no good crossfit gyms in the area of the coaches suck, don't bother, you're better off doing a ton of research and learning on your own. Also depends on what your goals are. If you hate lifting weights, then just going to lift weights is probably not the best idea, whereas crossfit would be better suited in that lifting weights is but one component of their workout, sometimes there's no weight except your own bodyweight.

There's also nothing saying you can't go do 2-3 crossfit classes a week and throw in some separate strength work on other days, working on your bench, deadlift, press, squat strength, for example.

Whatever you do don't become one of those people who scoffs at any method other then your own, and don't become the type of crossfitter who tries to convert everyone to crossfit even if its not what they want or isn't beneficial for their training/sport. To many times I read/hear about crossfitter X who wants to "enlighten" the masses about crossfit because he thinks they are wasting time with any other training then crossfit.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Chuck Golden

Profile:

To me theist important part of your question is what your goals are. You're on a CF board so of course we're all going to recommend CF. VF is about being well rounded but not really excelling at anything. Regular weightlifting is a really broad term but I assume you're talking about doing what most people in a globo gym are doing and that's lifting to get big or focus on physique.

Either one is better than nothing though, good luck. If all else fails try one for a couple months, then switch to the other for a while and see which one you like better.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Goldberg View Post
Hi, I am looking into both Crossfit and normal weight training. I was just wondering what distinguishes the two. As in, what kind of people do Crossfit as opposed to regular weights? I'm only 18 and sort of getting a feel for both of them. Thanks for your help and time!
Going back to the original thread - i think i have stirred up enough information from others to give you better insite that Will hopefully guide you in some type of direction.

Main thing to remember is there are no short cuts ......

Good luck
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
Alex Romero

Profile:

Try both, and if one of them gives you that "I can't wait to go back" feeling when you are done with a workout, go with that one until you get bored. I lifted exclusively (admittedly inefficiently) for 4 years, got bored and did P90x/Insanity in my garage for another 2 years and got bored of that. I've been doing CrossFit for 2 years now and frankly I don't see boredom on the horizon.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
mike vinson

Profile:

do you want to be an elite shot putter or sprinter or be a decathlete? to me CF is about being a decathlete. pretty good at everything.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:27 AM   #20
Miles Roberts

Profile:

I'm 32 and have been doing CF for 6 months. Honestly, as I look back on my life, if I could change anything, it would be to start CF as early as possible. I see it as a (not kidding) lifelong thing. If I could have started it sooner, I'd be that much better for it.

Hope that answers your question, OP.

Also, for what its worth, CF includes a lot of weight lifting.