CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #31
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Crossfit vs. Regular Weight Training

And, bear in mind that Camille (and her peers) works waaaay harder than your typical, average, run-of-the-mill female (or male) Crossfitter.

I do know some women who don't even like Camille's body. They think she's too muscular and not feminine.

If you were to be one of those sort of women, I would just simply say that Camille puts in very rigorous training and works very hard to try to build her strength (aka build muscle). Despite all of that hard work, she's still (IMHO) very feminine and very beautiful. Most Crossfitters (male and female alike) will never put in the level of work that she puts in, and therefore most will never transform in the way that she has.

- Mark
Old 03-28-2014, 05:01 AM   #32
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thomas View Post
Okay, I'm going to jump in here and ask a slightly off topic question but it was briefly touched on in previous posts... I've also asked this question before but I'm always interested in different opinions...

I'm primarily interested in aesthetics but I genuinely enjoy crossfit. I want a lean & "cut" body... I know women can't get "bulky" unless they try to do so, but I don't want a super muscular, thick body. Can I have my cake and eat it, too regarding crossfit? Or am I going to sacrifice some of my aesthetic goals to do something I really like (Crossfit)?
Here's my beef with this statement, the term BULKY is subjective. What person A thinks is HYOOGE/BULKY will not necessarily be the same as what Person B thinks.

so maybe you'd want to show some pics or stats of what you would like to aim for.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #33
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to jump in here and ask a slightly off topic question but it was briefly touched on in previous posts... I've also asked this question before but I'm always interested in different opinions...

I'm primarily interested in aesthetics but I genuinely enjoy crossfit. I want a lean & "cut" body... I know women can't get "bulky" unless they try to do so, but I don't want a super muscular, thick body. Can I have my cake and eat it, too regarding crossfit? Or am I going to sacrifice some of my aesthetic goals to do something I really like (Crossfit)?
I think that Crossfit works really well aesthetically for women. You can definitely be lean and cut by doing Crossfit, your diet will determine if you are adding muscle or not. If you stay in a caloric deficit you will lean out (although you might add some muscle mass initially from newbie gains).

I think the main reason women doing Crossfit don't see the results they want is because they don't have a good understanding of how much they are eating. Just because someone eats "paleo" doesn't mean they will lean out, you still have to be in a caloric deficit. Accurately tracking your calories is huge and most people skip that step because they are lazy and think they know how much they are eating. However, most of the time in those situations people underestimate their caloric intake.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #34
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

And also remember that "doing Crossfit" means different things for different people.

I "do Crossfit," but I tend to lean towards and favor doing the shorter/heavier workouts. As a result (and also because I inhale pizza ), I'm heavier/bulkier than the guys who are kinda "all cardio all the time." We all "do Crossfit," but the details of what we are doing are quite different and have different impacts on our physiques.

- Mark
Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #35
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
And also remember that "doing Crossfit" means different things for different people.

I "do Crossfit," but I tend to lean towards and favor doing the shorter/heavier workouts. As a result (and also because I inhale pizza ), I'm heavier/bulkier than the guys who are kinda "all cardio all the time." We all "do Crossfit," but the details of what we are doing are quite different and have different impacts on our physiques.

- Mark
I think the whole inhaling pizza thing is the biggest factor in the heavier/bulkier part

If I want to lean out I prefer heavy weight, low rep, lifting focused workouts with a caloric deficit. The caloric deficit is the factor in leaning out, not the workout style. I could also do high rep lifting with lots of cardio and would likely lean out about the same, I just find the heavier lifting helps to maintain strength better and I think it is more beneficial for burning calories.

The reason I think "Crossfit" works better for women vs men in regards to aesthetics is because aesthetics for women typically refers to leaning out or toning (I hate that word). For men aesthetics usually refers more to building muscle and I think a hypertrophy style routine is better suited for that. Of course, these are all broad generalizations so take it as you will.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #36
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I think the whole inhaling pizza thing is the biggest factor in the heavier/bulkier part

If I want to lean out I prefer heavy weight, low rep, lifting focused workouts with a caloric deficit. The caloric deficit is the factor in leaning out, not the workout style. I could also do high rep lifting with lots of cardio and would likely lean out about the same, I just find the heavier lifting helps to maintain strength better and I think it is more beneficial for burning calories.

The reason I think "Crossfit" works better for women vs men in regards to aesthetics is because aesthetics for women typically refers to leaning out or toning (I hate that word). For men aesthetics usually refers more to building muscle and I think a hypertrophy style routine is better suited for that. Of course, these are all broad generalizations so take it as you will.
Nah, I think Mark just needs a few more dates with B Street here in San Diego.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #37
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post

There might be something to that. Hmmm....

- Mark
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #38
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Nah, I think Mark just needs a few more dates with B Street here in San Diego.
Heretofore to be known as FU Street. I'm still recovering from the FU Street Crippler.

- Mark
Old 03-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #39
David Finney

Profile:

Quote:

Genetics will play a large role in this. Person A and Person B can have the exact same programming, eat the exact same meals, and both recover well, but they could potentially have very different looking physiques.

To use some Games athletes, Sam Briggs and Lindsay Valenzuela could have the same programming, eat the same, etc, but they would never look the same. You have to customize any training plan for your own genetics and goals.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #40
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Finney View Post
Genetics will play a large role in this. Person A and Person B can have the exact same programming, eat the exact same meals, and both recover well, but they could potentially have very different looking physiques.

To use some Games athletes, Sam Briggs and Lindsay Valenzuela could have the same programming, eat the same, etc, but they would never look the same. You have to customize any training plan for your own genetics and goals.
In my example person A and B were commenting about people's physiques.
Put it this way, to some 6ft and 220 is big, to others (myself included) that's not big that's around a normal weight for a guy that height. We've all got different ideas of what big is.