CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 AM   #1
Wisam Saeed

Profile:
Strength Program or CF or Both?

Hey guys,

I really read alot on the forums for an answer to my question but I could not get an accurate answer or i'd get alot of different answer which is confusing me.

Ive been doing crossfit for 4 months now, I love it. Just like every person I have my strengths and weakness. Im very good with bodyweight stuff lie pushups, pullups, dips...etc. But what I need to work on more is my strength, I suffer a bit with heavy weights.

One coach in a one box suggested I should do SS along with crossfit, so I did the 3 days SS and 2 day CF program.

I changed my box and the new coach is telling me you dont need SS, you will become better with crossfit by only doing crossfit.

So I come to the board to find an answer, and I get different answers, one that says doing SS for a few months and then CF because its bad to do both at the same time and other people say do both.

What do you advise guys? if I have 5-6 days a week to train should I

1- Do 3 days SS, 2-3 days CF? or

2- I can do CF and SS on the same day but different times and the other days I do CF? like Sat Mon Wed, SS at noon and CF at night. and Sun Tues just CF? or

3- Should I just focus on SS only now?

Bare in mind my goal is to compete, I want to at least get to Regionals next year (I know too ambitious, but I wana do the best I can)

My data:

Height: 5'6

Weight: 170 lbs

5 Rep Max Squat: 220lbs

5 Rep Max Deadlift: 220 lbs

5 Rep Max Bench Press: 215 lbs

Thanks
Old 03-21-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Strength Program or CF or Both?

If your goal is to compete, you must get stronger. Coach 2 is an idiot. SS with some crossfit metcons is a good way to build your strength base, while maintaining metcon fitness, and working on skills.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
Wisam Saeed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
If your goal is to compete, you must get stronger. Coach 2 is an idiot. SS with some crossfit metcons is a good way to build your strength base, while maintaining metcon fitness, and working on skills.
So is it ok to do both at the same day but different times? or just keep them on separate days?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Eh, I'd say Coach 1 isn't too bright either if he's telling you to 3 days of SS plus two days of CF at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisam Saeed View Post
So is it ok to do both at the same day but different times? or just keep them on separate days?
SS is a stand-alone program, and adding anything to it will bring your gains to premature halt or burn you out. If you want to get stronger while still doing CF-style stuff, check out CF Football or GSLP. They incorporate similar aspects of SS (i.e. linear progression on big lifts) but with slightly reduced lifting volume to allow you to do conditioning.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Wisam Saeed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

SS is a stand-alone program, and adding anything to it will bring your gains to premature halt or burn you out. If you want to get stronger while still doing CF-style stuff, check out CF Football or GSLP. They incorporate similar aspects of SS (i.e. linear progression on big lifts) but with slightly reduced lifting volume to allow you to do conditioning.
CF Football is one choice, but what about CFSB? it incorporates the same thing too. Although some people say its an intermediate to advanced level. meaning I should be doing it after I stall on SS, what do you think?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

CFSB was one of the first programs of its kind to get popular in the CF community, but I think several of the ones that have come around in recent years are much better.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Wisam Saeed

Profile:

Quote:
CFSB was one of the first programs of its kind to get popular in the CF community, but I think several of the ones that have come around in recent years are much better.
the problem is, if I want to just focus on SS, the program is only 3 days a week, thats not enough for me. This is very low intensity. Im used to working 6 days a week.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
the problem is, if I want to just focus on SS, the program is only 3 days a week, thats not enough for me. This is very low intensity. Im used to working 6 days a week.
You've clearly never done SS then....it's anything but "low intensity" once you start having to squat really heavy 3x5s three times per week.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Wisam Saeed

Profile:

Quote:
You've clearly never done SS then....it's anything but "low intensity" once you start having to squat really heavy 3x5s three times per week.
I actually did SS for a month and a half, Im not a beginner. I did body building programs before and been doing crossfit for 4 months. The squat can be a pain for 3 times a week. But what I meant is, I cant just rest 4 days, its too much rest. I am used to more than that, thats what I meant.

If I want to do a strength program and leave crossfit behind for a couple of months, I need an intense one because I dont want to focus on crossfit only later on.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I actually did SS for a month and a half, Im not a beginner. I did body building programs before and been doing crossfit for 4 months. The squat can be a pain for 3 times a week. But what I meant is, I cant just rest 4 days, its too much rest. I am used to more than that, thats what I meant.

If I want to do a strength program and leave crossfit behind for a couple of months, I need an intense one because I dont want to focus on crossfit only later on.
A month and a half of SS isn't really enough to form an opinion about its intensity, especially seeing how you only got up to a 5RM squat and deadlift of 220lbs. I don't mean that in a rude way--but it's just a simple fact that moving that kind of weight doesn't impart a whole lot of systemic stress that necessitates plenty of recovery. I can guarantee if you'd carried the program out to where you were squatting and pulling 2x bodyweight for sets of 5 you would not be saying it was "too much rest."

As I said before, check out CFFB or GSLP if you want to train 4-5 days per week with a good mix of linear progress on the big lifts and CF-style conditioning on 2-3 of those training days.